News:

• May 08, 2024, 07:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: swept canard  (Read 6636 times)

Offline PerttiMe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: swept canard
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
I am pretty sure most are aware of the Wild Goose. Tried it? Don't know.

I couldn't find the thread(s) about Bob Hunts canard, but recall it had some problem. Does anyone know better? I think he started a bigger one too.

I'll post a pic of the Bob Hunt canard, as a refresher (copied from here or elsewhere...)

I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
Boy, nothing new under the sun, huh...here I thought my forward-swept canard would be unique. Now it seems it's been done over and over.  Well, I'm still the only one with the engine out front.  Maybe.  Some yahoo'll probly come up with an old pic of that too!
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
Well I call it the Blue Goose.  I built it several years ago because several said a canard will not fly.  Some had the surfaces moving the same direction and some had the contro geometry wrong.  I have cut the rear moving surface down to almost not moving and the same with the front one.  It flies like it is tail heavy and was a hand full on first flight.  A little clay cured some of that until I got home.  It is strange to look at while flying.  It has done several patterns when every thing is right.  Has an LA .40 in the nose right now as the Fox .35 was not that consistant at the time.  I can also swing an 11 inch prop.  It is fun to fly as well as being different.  I even had the pleasure of an E-Mail  from Dick Sarpolous.  Might try another one with an external bell crank next time H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Eddie Culver

• New Pilot
    • Eddie Culver Blog
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
My personal preference is don't.  Mr Sarpolous is a great designer in my eyes, dont get me wrong about that.  But to get the Wild Goose to fly well you have to have leadout guides ahead of the leading edge of the inboard wing and the leadouts enter slots in the leading edge.  The leadouts then act as turbulators for the inboard wing only and subtract strength in your leading edge stock.

That is one reason I always use the swept forward wing or the stager wing configuration you saw in my previous pictures.

If I remember the Wild Goose is old enough for classic, so if that is your goal - go for it.  Otherwise I suggest a different design.

Just my opinion though - Eddie

PS - I also don't like the idea of flaps on a canard.  It detracts from the main good flying characteristic of the canard i. e. no tail drop when doing a square maneuver  -  the airplane just follows the canard.
Later - Eddie

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »
Well I guess I'll trash the idea of building the Wild Goose. Does anyone have a better canard to build?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
Ahem...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Ahem...
Does that mean
- "there's a guy here whose canards seem to fly OK"
or
- "this thread was supposed to be about FSW 1/2A canards"?

:D

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
quote--"there's a guy here whose canards seem to fly OK"

That one.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »
Yup. 

I don't mind my threads wandering off topic...always interesting to see where they go. 
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Occum's Razor seems like a nice design. Putting the prop and engine on a gas model was problematic. But electric make it a breeze.
Question is how big and what size prop ?

Offline Eddie Culver

• New Pilot
    • Eddie Culver Blog
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »
Well I guess I'll trash the idea of building the Wild Goose. Does anyone have a better canard to build?

Frank you are welcome to build mine, however, I don't have really good plans.  They are more like line drawings (full sized).  I made mine with foam wings so you would have to cut the cores or extrapolate ribs from the center and tips. 

I do have a set of instructions written and a powerpoint slide show showing most of the construction (at least to the point of where I am right now).

If interested let me know. - Eddie

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
Occum's Razor seems like a nice design. ...
Question is how big and what size prop ?
The only tech detail I can find about the Occam's Razor is that it first had a 1/2A engine. I am sure I've seen a picture of wing for a bigger one but I cannot find it now.

They are more like line drawings (full sized).  I made mine with foam wings so you would have to cut the cores or extrapolate ribs from the center and tips.  

I do have a set of instructions written and a powerpoint slide show showing most of the construction (at least to the point of where I am right now).
If you want to, you can post your instructions and drawings here ... unless you want to publish them in a magazine, or something.

Looks like you cannot post PowerPoint and there's a size limit:
"Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, MPEG, mp3, DOC
Maximum attachment size allowed: 1000 KB, per post: 20 "

To add attachments, click the Preview button below the Quick Reply box, and then Additional Options to get the Browsing choices.

edit:
If you go into details about your canards, it would surely be worth a separate thread, either in the Open  or the Stunt design area.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »
Eddie, could I get a look at the model you're talking about? I'm hoping to get to build a .35 size canard.

Ray--we're off topic but we're still talking about canards. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
That's good, no problems.  I'm enjoying seeing the pictures.  Occam's Razor is a real good looking plane.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
If I remember the Wild Goose is old enough for classic, so if that is your goal - go for it.  Otherwise I suggest a different design.

Just my opinion though - Eddie

Later - Eddie

Didn't realize it was that old of a design.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Eddie Culver

• New Pilot
    • Eddie Culver Blog
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
 HB~>  Sorry to all for going so farrrrrr off topic - I was just thrilled that someone else was playing with canards...

The only design that I have that would work with a .35 is the Trooper design that was made for a .25 but would work for a .35.  Unfortunately, no plans for that one, just sketches and measurements from my designing days..

And my bad on saying the Wild Goose is Classic - I got planes mixed up - I think the Wild Goose was late 70's maybe '78...

Later - Ed

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Frank

I also have the plans for the wild goose.. and an article with it.. says that he hooked up the canard and flaps to operate opposing to each other... said he never had the guts to hook them up to work together...says he did try making the flaps stationary,,, still flew and handled well, but corners not quite as tight... further he suggested moving the leadouts further forward would help....
Quite an interesting article..

Chris
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
The only tech detail I can find about the Occam's Razor is that it first had a 1/2A engine. I am sure I've seen a picture of wing for a bigger one but I cannot find it now.

Bob Hunt was showing his Occam's Razors at Brodak 2000. At that time the small one was sporting a NORVEL (AME .049, I think). He felt that placing the tank near the C/G would allow it to fly the same as the tank emptied, if I remember the conversation correctly. He also had a larger one (~.35 size, if I remember correctly). Shortly after that, I believe he started using electric power. Not sure if he went any further with the larger 'Razor.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here