News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super 70s Chipmunk  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super 70s Chipmunk
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
Yours truly is slated to go to VSC in March.  One of the events is "Super 70s". Well, the Cox Chipmunk qualifies!

The basic model will do every required maneuver, but not especially well. Also not enough fuel to do the full pattern with required judging laps.  HB~>

Sooo...  ;D

I am starting to build a hopped up version.  Here are a couple of photos of the start of the project.

I cut a full ounce of foam out of the wing. The modified tank has 70% more capacity and will have uniflow venting when I am done with it.  More detail later.  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Super 70s Chipmunk
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »
I got some competition! Will John Wright be there again flying S70's ?
Can't wait to see ya!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
Me thinks you don't have a 70's version if it's a solid foam wing. 70's versions were hollow if I am correct. You'd be better off with one of those I think.  The solid foam wing came in the 80's and was produced into the early 90's I'm pretty sure.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
You are correct that the solid wing was produced way after the hollow ones. But who in his right mind would ruin a collectors version by flying it? Not me, and I designed it! I have one original hanging in my office, and it will stay there in pristine condition until my great grand kids destroy it someday after I am gone.

All but the wing of the model being assembled is as it was produced in the 70s, and it isn’t likely to be all that competitive , so don’t be picky!

Besides, how many models at the meet use the original vintage engines? Seen many old Johnson’s or Green Head Torps in the pits lately? And as to new stuff, how about mufflers, muffler pressure to the tank, uniflo tanks, carbon fiber props, adjustable line guides and tip weight boxes. Seen anyone using a U-Reely in competition lately, or even an Easy-Just?

Actually, since I don’t have an original model to spare, I am only getting the model back to its original 10 ounce weight. Otherwise, the aerodynamics are as original, and only the tank capacity is changed. So there!

It’s a hobby, not life threatening, gimme a break.

John will indeed be there with his 30 year old Barnstormer from the first VSC for Old Time. He also plans to fly Super 70 and Ringmaster, as do I. My guess is that he will go for Classic too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:50:56 PM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
It was just an observation Larry.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »
More progress photos.

The tank is replumbed with a new pickup tube and the old fuel pickup used as a uniflo vent.

The wing center section has a carbon strip reinforcement. the gaps above it are filled with lightweight spackle. There is strapping tape top and bottom for more rigidity.

DesignMan

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
Larry,

I think I saw a mention somewhere that you wrote an article in the 70's about optimizing the Cox Super Stunters.  Are you doing the same things with this one?  I'd love to see that original article.

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
The article was in the October 1974 Model Airplane news.  I have a pdf, but it is too big to post.  Send me an e-mail and I can mail it back to you.

DesignMan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
   I checked out the M.A.N. article as I couldn't remember ever reading it. The model that Larry is working on is the later version from the mid 1980's. I had both, and remember them flying about the same to me at that time. In January, 1989, Ted Fancher was doing the C/L stunt column in Model Aviation and did an evaluation on the later version and came up with some improvements which were mainly moving the lead out guide forward about 3/4 of an inch, and adding about 1/2 ounce of tip weight. Cox took the recommendations to heart, stopped production, incorporated the changes, and resumed production with a new part number. I was working part time at a local hobby shop at the time and remember this well. I have to pull my box of Chipmunk stuff out to check, but I may have examples of both wings. I hope to resurrect some of those plus some earlier ME-109s. I have some of the smaller ACE foam wing cores and want to see if they can be retrofitted to work on the later versions. maybe a built up balsa wing? These were a lot of fun and did fly pretty well for what they were. I'll be following this thread closely especially to see if the tank works out. You could barely get the beginner pattern in on a full tank in stock configuration.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »
Some new photos!

First the engine. It is a Killer Bee Crankshaft in a KB case. The cylinder and piston are old tapered bore Tee Dee (Couldn't find any of the newest ported ones  :'(  ). Flame barrier from the original engine. Killer Bee backplate/mount with bronze reed. Again, can't seem to find any of the steel reeds I prefer. Note that the exhaust ports are in the optimum fore-aft position. (That places the bypasses in optimum position for free flow, exaust is going out no matter where the ports are!) It ought to be a screamer. I have a high compression head with 4 gaskets, but that is an area that will require much experiment to get good performance with fuel economy.

Next up are the control system modifications.  in olden days, I used that second from inside bellcrank hole to limit the elevator travel while getting equal up and down travel.  This time, I lengthened the control horn with some squished 3/16" aluminum tube.  It now has slightly less elevator travel than bell crank travel using the outer hole, as it should be!  This will reduce the control force required and limit the necessary line tension for full control. I will tweak the pushrod length to get inside and outside performance equal.   

Also the bellcrank has metal bushings for the wire leadouts.  I plan to make an adjustable leadout guide after covering the wing.

Finally, the rudder snap retainer has been tapered to allow the elevator horn a bit more travel while still retaining all its strength.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »
Here is the tipweight installation.  In a 1978 article, Ted Fancher and Dave Fitzgerald tested the plane and came up with 1/2 oz. as the ideal tipweight.  I am not about to argue with them, so that is what is being glued in.

I cut a foam disk, fitted it into the hole that was molded in the wing, then smoothed it with spackle.

DesignMan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »
Larry,
Are you going to clear-tape the open sections of the bottom of the fuse? For essentially zero weight, that cleans things up a bit.  I had my baby blue 'chip at the Valley Circle Burners 1/2A Day last year--but didn't get a chance to fly it. I don't remember trying to stunt with it back when I got it. I was pretty much at the wingover, inside loop skill level at that point....and not much has changed!

What is your intent/goal with the engine mods, beyond just having fun with it? Your comment on the cyl/piston and the KB parts implies you are going for all the horses you can find that will fit in your new tank. Are you going up in venturi diameter?  Regarding the reed, are you talking about the racetrack shaped stainless reed? What prop are you matching this up with? Cox 5x4 flexi? What lines?

Interesting project. Enquiring minds want to know....

McSlow McDivot

PS--Ron and I flew my new Cox-powered basic trainer two weeks ago at Whittier. It flies great!  Beautiful stable level flight.....

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »

The engine currently has the wide open venturi from the Killer Bee. That may change if fuel draw or consumption prove a problem.

The prop is the “Rubber Duckie” 5x3 black.

The reed is currently the “racetrack” bronze one. I do prefer the stainless version. I thought I had a bunch, but they are hiding.  HB~>

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
I covered the wing with Parklite film.  With the tipweight and covering the wing weighs 2.44 ounces.  I thought I had another wing for comparison, but I don't.  I weighed all the model components and the total weight is 9.88 ounces, which is just under the original folded wing flying weight!  #^ ;D %^@ :## ~>

I need to find out the correct screws for final assembly, make the adjustable line guide, decorate it and it will be finished!  CLP**

I opened the box of the supposed new Chipmunk I have, and WOW it is an original folded wing model. The stickers are for a "Stunt Eagle"   version Cox must have done for a single customer like Sears (remember them?). Some stuff is missing, but I may just work this one over too. It is in way better shape than the one I am working on.  But that is for later, WAY later.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:34:27 PM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
More progress!

I finally worked out the fuel hose routing.  I made a u-tube of aluminum, and it solved the kinking that I was getting trying to just use fuel hose. The aluminum tube had to be annealed before I could bend it.  I hit it with a torch and quenched it in water (Opposite of Iron and its alloys!). Then I fed a length of edger line through it to keep it from collapsing, and bending a tight u shape was easy.

Next up, the landing gear are bent back to get better landings without bouncing.

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
That is brilliant.   But I thought you would have test flights done already. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
          While I find this thread very interesting, I own both versions.  Many say these planes can fly the pattern. I could probably nurse it through a pattern today with my flying skills, I certainly couldn't of done it back then. The Chip sinks quite badly as it exits into the bottom.  Making it light by coring out the wings seems like a good start but what does that do for wing flexing? I found that to be most problematic with the folded foam version.  The maneuvers have to really be done gracefully and a bit large. I just picked up a brand new Super Stunter and I'm hoping to see some favorable traits over the solid wing Chipmunk. My hollow Chipmunk is quite a mess as the plastic is breaking all over. I think the Killer Bee is certainly a good choice for power as it should certainly offer some more rpm's over the stock setup.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
I never claimed it would do a "good" pattern, it won't. I just want to demonstrate that it will do every maneuver in a recognizable form. I am never going to win at VSC no matter what I fly, so I plan to have fun.  :)

Added power and long lines will ameliorate a lot of the wide maneuvering. I just want to demo one of my designs in the primo showplace for that era model. I have cut about an ounce out of the solid foam version bringing it in to the weight of the original folded foam wing version.

I plan to try 35' .008 lines, and hope to push it out to 40'. The hourglass is the killer in my experience, and I may not be able to do much more than a lumpy vertical 8. I also need to test to see if the wide venturi of the Killer Bee will pull fuel through maneuvers.  Lots of testing to be done, and not much time left!

I added an adjustable tip guide and did a test assembly. I discovered that the extended tank runs into the landing gear mount!  HB~> HB~>

So, I pulled the tank off the nose bottom, and modified the bottom mounting to allow the tank to move forward. This required removing the vent tube and some modifications there.

The tank is now attached to the upper fuselage and an aluminum tube replaces the plastic vent tube. The vent hole in the lower fuselage needed to be extended forward.

When the glue is all dry, I'll post photos of the setup when it is finalized.

If you are building the folded wing version, extend the spar several inches to keep the foam from collapsing. A 1/16" balsa extension will do just fine. The foam is the strength as long as it can't flex inward. Also, use a foam safe adhesive to glue the wings on in addition to the tape.

Looking at the folded foam wing version I have, the trailing edge bond is letting go. That needs to be repaired! Shucks that model was made 43 years ago. Gee, even Cox didn't make things that last.  LL~ LL~ LL~

If you look carefully at the earlier photos, you will see that I have a carbon reinforcement at the center and strapping tape top and bottom out to the tips. It is probably more rigid than the un-cored wing. Besides, the aft part of the wing doesn't bear much of the load if you leave the high point intact.

The Killer Bee with 5x3 prop on 30% nitro should have nearly twice the thrust as the product engine with a 6x3 as originally provided on standard 15% fuel. That ought to give me some edge!  ;D

When in doubt - Cheat!  >:D

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:55 PM »
Tank repositioned forward and vent tube replaced with aluminum tube bent back slightly to go through extended hole in cowl bottom. Fuel hose length adjusted for the forward tank position.

Added tailskid to get more horizontal takeoff position.

Adjustable line guide.  Pull the eyelets and move the lines to other holes for some adjustment, about 1/2" possible.

Controls are butter smooth, with about 20 deg travel up and down. On the longer lines that should be plenty.

No spring starter as I use an electric starter.

I may lower the landing gear, as it has about an inch prop clearance.

Photos will have to be spaced out on a couple of entries.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
Next photos

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
More

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
It turns out there is a gap between the top and bottom fuselage halves because of a not quite accurate cut to mount the tank. However this is a good thing, because I can shave top or bottom depending on how the engine runs upright and inverted. Sometimes a screwup pays off!  ;D

Final weight is 10.2 ounces.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
Sad to say, the Chip is not going to be ready for prime time. I need to re-engineer the tank. It won’t run out the tank and is remarkably hard to get it to draw fuel for startup.  HB~>

I’ll work on it more after VSC.

DesignMan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
  That's too bad Larry. What about the old double balloon type tank? Can those be made to hold enough fuel? All you need for structure is something slide it in. I'll be watching for further updates and hope to get to mine in the near future.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »
Too bad about the Chipmunk.  I was looking forward to seeing it fly.
AMA 95707

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
Larry,
Any progress on your 'chip project? Very interested in what your fine-tuned config turns out to be.

On the fuel draw, are you thinking of going to a backplate with the smaller venturi?

As far as fuel draw for starts, wouldn't it be feasible to hold the plane with the outboard wingtip down and the tail up, maybe 30 degrees or so to aid via "siphoning?" With a full tank the pickup would be covered and the fuel head might be an inch or so? Once it is running, perhaps the draw would be sufficient for most maneuvers?

Do you think the aluminum u-tube is too restrictive? I've used these (actually a copper tube) inside Mouse 8cc tanks but there the overall fuel line is pretty much just the length of the u-tube. The silicone fuel line I use for a coupler is just that--the copper tube is actually touching the nipple of the backplate.

I have two projects in work that incorporate the plastic backplate/separate tank concept and hope to see how you dealt with similar issues.

Thank you for sharing your project with us!

McSlow

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
Wow Larry, makes me want to core out and recover mine!
Tank is a new old ACME brass tank from the tank bin.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
I need to get back to that project!

I have corrected a few things and put a smaller Venturi backplate on. Now it needs reassembly and testing.

DesignMan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 01:55:44 AM »
Come test it at the contest this Sunday!

Love to see it fly.

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here