News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:53:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Stiletto" Mid engine design.  (Read 2302 times)

Offline RK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
"Stiletto" Mid engine design.
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
Has anyone built the Stiletto from plans by Richard Laconte? I have started to build and would like to hear about your experience building!
I like to make changes to all my planes, on this stiletto I plan on placing the engine upright & the cockpit in front with the engine which is 4" back over the wing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I am only building for my own amusement, at 74 years old I can't fly em anymore!   H^^  Thanks R.K.   [/img]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:57:22 PM by RK »
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Stiletto" Mid engine design.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
RK,

I can't say I've built one--but I have studied the plans and dreamed of building one....  As far as I'm concerned, it is one of the prettiest shaped models, ever.

You say you are considering installing the engine upright but leaving it overtop of the wing? Did I understand your post correctly?  If not, you are going to have to redo the moments on the fuselage to get it to balance, or, just build it the way you like as a non-flying "sculpture."  Your hobby, so do it your way!  (I have flown planes for guys who still build, but can't really fly anymore. They always got a kick out of seeing their work in the air, so you might consider that a possibility. I think the Knights have a hollow log race where you can enter and use a borrowed pilot. Pretty typical of speed guys, except I think with their rules you would have to start it or launch it. I think the 1/2A scale contest in Tucson will proxy fly your plane. All you have to do is pack it up and mail it to them.)

If you are going to bury the cylinder in the "cockpit" you might consider a vertical cooling slit directly in front of the cylinder, and two side slits for the exhaust. I'm trying to remember a plan that shows this. I know I've seen it on very old Mouse II "full house" planes. Maybe you can get Les Akre over in the racing forum to send you a picture of one. I know he had one build by Lenard Ascher way back when. It might be like that on the old Eagle 1/2A speed plane by Jimmy Wade? Those should be AMA plans you can go into the archive and look up.

I was intrigued by the shaft drive system on the Stiletto and I collected some of the needed parts. Got some precision ground shafting and ball bearings. Never did find a boat universal that looked like the right size/strength. There might have been one I was on-line but without seeing it and holding it in my hand....*

I designed a 1/2A Profile Proto speed plane/Mouse racer that has a semi-elliptical wing. A little higher aspect ratio than the Stiletto. I made the wing with a semi-symmetrical airfoil, and found out it would have flown better with a flat bottom. I also used a spruce stub spar, drilled for plug in landing gear, which would have made the geometry very similar to the Stiletto.

Hope you have good luck with this project and any mods you decide to do.

Divot McSlow

PS--In my mind's eye, I always saw this plane in silver and black.....

*PPS--Just a crazy idea:  we should talk Juan into machining 3 sets of drive parts. Then we build 3 Stilettos.... Mebbe we find out what stuff he can't get in Puerto Rico, stuff that we could ship ok, and just try to bribe him outright?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
Ok, here's a link to the Eagle 1, by Kirn protégé and many time winner, Jimmy Wade. It has workable cooling inlet and exhaust outlets for a Cox engine. It might provide some ideas, and you could conceivably disguise it as a canopy by altering the outside surface shapes.

Note that this was a Proto speed plane, so probably only had to do 10 laps plus some fuel margin, so overheating from running out a big tank wasn't an issue. Most of the cooling is coming just from the fins on the head. The inlet at the front is for the venturi.

While I was dreaming about building a Stiletto, I was wondering if I should try altering a Cox magnesium pan. It might be easier and more stable than what is essentially a hollow log in Leconte's design. But the mag pan did not match the gorgeous shape that Leconte drew....

An easy alternative, that would improve things a bit would be to get some of that Midwest "hardwood" sheet, maybe 1/16" or 1/8" thick. (Basswood, walnut, mahogany,....)  Laminate it to the balsa fuse blocks. These would act like a crutch and make the seam much more durable and the joint less obvious. Just glue up the blank and then carve same as if it was just one piece of balsa. I was thinking of making a plug and making the side with the driveshaft out of epoxy and glass. More work, maybe stiffer, worried about weight.

Before I left off thinking about this project a couple years ago I wanted to scale the thing up to .15 size....

Divot McSlow

Model Aviation, May 1976, Jim Wade

http://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1976/5/eagle-1
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:18:53 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »
Has anyone built the Stiletto from plans by Richard Laconte? I have started to build and would like to hear about your experience building!
I like to make changes to all my planes, on this stiletto I plan on placing the engine upright & the cockpit in front with the engine which is 4" back over the wing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I am only building for my own amusement, at 74 years old I can't fly em anymore!   H^^  Thanks R.K.

Some years ago I brought the same topic up.

I must say it didn't go over well.   LL~ But then again, nothing I did or introduced to the Forum did.  n1

In spite of this normal behavior  ;D, I wasn't discouraged, never am actually,  #^  I did carry the project some distance.

I actually drew full size plans for a 40 size powered model with an improved airfoil, coupled flaps, AND a more suitable CL wing. I.e. better aspect ratio, but not carried away. Still close to the original design.

I also designed an engine extension shaft that was easily assembled. I offed the shaft assembly to the Forum members at a reasonable price but there were no takers.

Pointless to machine just one.

I believe I had my design at 55" or close to that. I did cut fuselage parts and started building a fuselage. It's around someplace as is my full size plans.

If I was to build one today I'd go Electric.

The motor would disappear in the nose and the battery would be the balance element by placement, as it is anyway.

No need for a machined shaft, KISS.

I hope my reply helps build enthusiasm.

I may take the project back up, now that I'm going Electric and I have more time available for my projects.

Be nice to see where you take this.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
The Stiletto from Dec 70 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  I am trying to down load the text.

Keith

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
Thanks to all of you that have replied so far! :D  Dave & Avaiojet, you both  gave me several things to think about as I get started building.
The electric motor idea opens a whole new world that I haven't gotten to .....It's hard for an old guy to keep up with the new stuff ! I did a little work on it today & I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow!  #^  R K

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
  I've done a little building,But I've had nothing but problems trying to post pictures  ~>
I can send  some by E mail if you are really interested, I'll try again to post pictures!

Thanks, R.K.

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
Yes, I did build one many years ago when I was a Junior. TRUE, it looks killer, but in reality performance wise it was a total failure.
If you've started to build it, make sure you find a better way to mount the landing gear. As shown the L.G. tends to NOT stay in place.
At the time I didn't understand why the engine kept locking up. The inverted engine is prone to that if primed with the exhaust port open.
There was a comment something like this model went 68 MPH. ANY basic standard model will go a lot quicker because this model is very HEAVY,
with all that extra drive shaft & universal joint that's required.  No doubt designer Richard Laconte was an excellent builder, but his long nosed idea
that he claimed could be useful "for any speed event" was just theory, & never worked in practice... All that extra driveshaft linkage caused extra engine
drag & so it degraded the engines performance as well... (the theory didn't mention that part).

Cheers,

Paul G.

I like to make changes to all my planes, on this stiletto I plan on placing the engine upright & the cockpit in front with the engine which is 4" back over the wing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I am only building for my own amusement, at 74 years old I can't fly em anymore!   H^^  Thanks R.K.   [/img]

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
Let's see if I got this right. Paul is saying that he doesn't like the design?

Divot

PS--I don't think anyone here is thinking of building a winning race or proto-speed plane. The design after all, was old when Paul built his as a junior a couple of years back. And since we are talking about performance, no one is using a Cox .049 for speed or racing unless the rules demand it. In this case, RK is contemplating this plane as perhaps even a non-flying build. In other words, sculpture. Don't know about you guys, but I think some of the best sculptures are made out of marble. That is pretty heavy stuff too....  It's your hobby, so enjoy it!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Wow.  Paul "Buzzkill" Gebeault.  How dare you inject ugly reality into our beautiful fantasies!  I mean, people have been sticking props right on their engines for decades, and shaft-driven airplanes almost never work out in models or in full-scale practice -- so of course it has to be a good, but neglected idea!

I could see building one for the fun of it, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Paul, Motorman, Dave & Tim, thanks for the reply's & info!  I agree with the Motorman it just looks fast!  y1 y1

I did make some changes at the start. First was the engine I mounted it upright a will put the cockpit in front of it, then I added 2"to the wing making it 16" instead of 14". I am also using a standard type wing with ribs so I can hide the controls & use a single bell crank instead of the secondary that's shown. It will about 1/2" high at the root tapering to 1/8" at the tip. Next I added 1" to the fuse behind the wing going to the tail, I can still add a little more there if you think it would help! The plans show the fuse is 13.3 but that is measured to the nose cone making it only 12 1/4". I think wheel pants look great so I threw those in the mix, they should help with the landing gear. I doubt it will ever fly, I know I won't but it's still a lot of FUN!

I really appreciate the comments.  H^^  R.K.

P.S. Dave, It's not Marble.....To hard to carve....Balsa fly's better  ;D

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
There is nothing wrong with building a neat looking airplane for fun.  Besides, the Stiletto was originally designed for the 1/2 A proto speed event but sort of matched WAM rules which did not have the wing span requirements of the AMA 1/2 A proto speed event.  Then, the AMA 1/2A proto event morphed to the 1/2A profile speed event, so unless there are some local rules somewhere, the Stiletto as in the magazine does not really fit in any then or current official 1/2 A speed event, unless it is for the regular 1/2 A Speed which does not have any minimums/restrictions on the basic design like any of the proto events.  That long shaft will keep it from being competitive in any speed event.

Still a neat looking airplane.  I have kept it in my file of interesting airplanes that I would like to build someday.  (I have dozens of such things.)

Keith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
There are probably a lot of us that as kids, tried to build what we thought was going to be a "world beater," only to find out that kit manufacturer's were prone to hyperbole. (Ok, as kids we just said they lied to us.) Magazines did too. (See my recent request for flying characteristics of the Nutnik.) Perhaps Mr. Leconte and his Stiletto was the point in Paul's life when he found out that adults lied....?

But it is a really cool looking airplane....   Maybe we should think of it as a concept car. They look waaaay cooler than anything you can buy at a dealer. But they may not actually be able to run down the road....*

The Divot

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »

But it is a really cool looking airplane....   Maybe we should think of it as a concept car. They look waaaay cooler than anything you can buy at a dealer. But they may not actually be able to run down the road....*

My dad used to build show cars. Practicality was not always high in the list of priorities.
AMA 64232

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
The Stiletto is a fantastic model, great design, and an amazing use of off the shelf stuff from slot cars to use on a model airplane. I was too confused by the metal parts to build one as a kid, I applaud Paul for executing one. I agree, the speed wasn't so fast in the article, but then neither was the Tee Dee so hot nor the specs of most 1/2A Proto models of the time. In '70 Jimmy Wade was going 100 mph with single bladed prop Dale Kirn motors, he was tops. I was going 72 mph in Profile Proto with Keith Trostle motors, with mine equipped with Kirn accessories it was 68. So, it was ballpark for also rans!

Neat model, neat idea, 1/2A Proto was fantastic. Dale Kirn came up with it and was instrumental in promoting it and responsible for the Cox magnesium pan and he published designs and provided a fiberglass fuselage top for the Cox pan. He started Kirn Kraft, later run as Custom Kraftsmanship as an accessory provider for the Cox engines speed needs for decades. Me, my brother, my eldest son used these companies accessories from the '60's to the '90's.

The designs were great too, Keith Trostle had two 1/2A Proto Scale models a late model Mk 24 Spitfire and late model TA-152 Focke Wulf (in which he let me fly when I was about 9 years old) and they were super flyers and pretty fast too. I liked Harry Latshaw's miniaturized Hustler B Proto, the 1/2A Hustler. I use it's beautiful elliptical wing and tail on all of my 1/2A Speed and Mouse models. Dale's designs were the genesis, and one could find a couple of dozen 60's and 70's 1/2A Proto designs published I think.

Chris...   

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 12:15:56 AM »
Thanks for the latest reply's! I am still working on it but moving s l o w y! I had some problems with the design I had in mind so I am making more changes on paper! It will take some time but I haven't given up !!

RK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here