• March 29, 2024, 03:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stork  (Read 1443 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stork
« on: April 04, 2021, 06:31:13 PM »
             I managed to complete my Stork. This is the Golden State Models version not Brodak. Let's just say this was a little more challenging then I expected. I made too many changes into the build and I should've stuck with the original plan but it's done and I flew it the other day. Power is a Norvel .061. I have a 1 3/4 oz. tank on it and I was using a APC 5.5 x 2 prop which I mistook as it should've been the 5.5 x 2.5. Plane flew outboard tip high due to me not checking the wing after I covered it. The price you pay for being in a hurry. I originally intended to use silkspan for wing covering and in doing so, I chose to use Dacron over and under hinges. Changing to iron on covering made this a real chore but doable. Finish is Brodak Rocket Blue with Polar Gray cockpit and Sig Lite Coat clear for a final.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Stork
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 07:12:43 PM »
Cool deal Ken, hope you get her flying good! Have you weighed it?  Gotta get mine out and maiden some time soon.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
Looks Nice. I'll have to build my kit soon.
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
                Ray, the plans say to keep the weight no greater than 12 oz's. My all up weight is 10.3 oz's. I could've done a few things that would've save even more weight. There were 3 versions of this plane. The Golden State Version which is mine, there was the A&J Free flight version and the Brodak version. From what I've seen, the Brodak looks very well engineered. I also own the A&J version and it's a beautiful kit. The Golden State and the A&J kits are inked kits like the old Comet kits. The A&J inking is remarkably clear and recognizable. The Golden State version was very faded and fuzzy. I found many contradicting parts in my model to the plans. I ended up re cutting the ribs and using my leading edge stock for the wing as they were not even close. The gear comes as straight pieces of wire that you bend to the patterns on the print. They were too short however, they might have worked on asphalt. I didn't recognize this problem at first and I had to lengthen the gear legs. I encountered other issues with the flap joiners as well. I should've made them slightly wider than the plans offered due to running into them when the control horns were installed. Both front and back horns had difficulty with the one of the screws holding the horn hitting the joiner wire.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:57:52 PM »
I have flown several Storks, and no matter how crappy the construction, they flew great. It is a remarkable design. The only flaw is that it it isn’t one of mine! 😪
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here