Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Sterling 1/2 A P-38

<< < (2/4) > >>

kenneth cook:
            I built the DCP P-38 and it really came out remarkably nice looking. 90% of Dave's kit is laser cut. Dave cut this kit for me as he didn't have any ready. He explained it would cost a bit more than the price on the site. I can't locate his site now unfortunately.  The leading edges are square stock and requires shaping. In addition, no angles are present on any of the pieces and this needs to be transferred from the prints to the pieces. No dados are cut on any of the stock. The dados required for the ribs are not square to the leading or trailing edges. I did them using a miter gauge on the table saw. I used a 1/16" kerf blade to make the dados. A wider kerf blade could be use which might accommodate the angle of the ribs to the parts.

I did fly it and it is indeed nose heavy with the Babe Bees. I wasn't looking for stunt like performance. I built it to replace my C-47 which broke a line and exploded into pieces.  My outboard Bee was acting up and I believe I resolved that. It will fly next weekend. I'm concerned in regards to the trike gear. Trike gear blows and it just cartwheels, I should've eliminated the gear all together.

944_Jim:
Ken,

The link is the last line/bottom of my previous post.

All.you say is correct. Frankly, I like the square stock LE/TE as this makes for great datum lines. I've got two started kits that really only need finish work (they are assembled and have been for a while). I also have four or five of his other kits in the retirement locker, and wanted to buy a couple more. I really want another swing at the Scientific P-40 Kitty Hawk (build log on CEF) to replace my crashed OEM one that Dave borrowed (before construction) for reverse-engineering.

But I'm concerned that Mr. Dave R could not reach Dave Cowell (DPC). My last email from DPC was early January. This is my fault as I have not responded to DPC's last send. Hopefully Dave R fat fingered the address from the DPCModels site, so I sent my last know good for DPC to Dave R. I've got my fingers crossed!

Dave Royer:
Thanks to your direction to outerzone I have what I was looking for. Good luck connecting with the other Dave.
And thanks again,

Dave R

Walter Hicks:
Dave, are you going to use .020s or .049s- Mine has .020s ask me how I know to use .020.!!!!!Lets Just say it went very very fast with .049.

Dave Royer:
The plan is for a couple of Golden Bees recently revitalized by fellow Fireball member Doug Powers. They're basically Baby Bees with stunt vented integral  tanks. Intended to use longest lines I could get away with but with recent health issues probably won't be able to fly myself anyway. I'll get one of the race guys to fly it for me if I manage to complete the project.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version