News:

• April 17, 2024, 09:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinner for a TD 049?  (Read 897 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spinner for a TD 049?
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:06:42 AM »
Hi all. Im taking a break from the serious stunt plane building and started on a 1/2a Tsunami. The profile side view is scale. My question is about Spinners. I need to use a 1.5" spinner on it. I've never tried using a large spinner on a TD 049 before. Have any of you? That's a pretty big spinner for such a small engine. Maybe Im wrong and it will work? I hope so. Do you think it will cause too big of a power loss?     Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:53:59 PM by kevin king »

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
Re: Spinner for a TD 049?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
Can’t help with the spinner question but I want your 1/2a Tsunami plans please.

Online Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
Main concern would be that it fits concentrically & flat , to the prop driver etc .

Being two types -

The machined backplate to prop driver type ,
&
the cheap plastic - to front of prop - screwed on nosecone ,type .( which depends on a flat parrallel surfaced prop . Preferably with a good diameter ( not tinny ) hub ) .

SO . . Ne Nah Ne Nahhh . if the flash type , getting a good interface to the engine / prop driver , is essential .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running a three inch , screw together ( allen screws ) 3 blade & screw or 2 blade 4 screw modified to 4 blade ,

with a one ounce weight , 0.6 ounce Extn. type nut to carry it , 3 in plastic spinner & 12 inch carbon 3 blade prop,

Theres 5 1/2 ounces doing its thing , out in front . So we do the nut up tight ! .Spins concentric , no worries .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres the Goldberg Etc recessed backplate , rebated mateing join , two allen screw , plastic 1 1/2 inch Dia. type .

These might be the best bet ( fairly light ) . The plastic center ' diameter matcher ' to the shaft , seems o.k. , on he 3 inch one .

Might pay to find a fancey ' grade ' allen screw , or better , screw in stud . Maybe with a fine steel tube over , to match prop & spinner I.D. .

Plastic ones though , crushing the backplate gets it spinning out of whack , and worries your ply nose ring , so Alumniums more durable .

Plastic spinner with custom alloy backplate would seem perhaps the best, then .

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:43:43 PM »
Did you give Paul G a call about it?

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:22:01 PM »
Can’t help with the spinner question but I want your 1/2a Tsunami plans please.
This will be a new design George, and
 I don't have the plane or any plans for the 1st one. I will save the drawings for you on the new one though.        Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:44:25 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »
Did you give Paul G a call about it?
Hey Bob! I sent Paul an email but haven't heard back from him yet.

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 04:47:53 AM »
This will be a new design George, and
 I don't have the plane or any plans for the 1st one. I will save the drawings for you on the new one though.        Kevin.

Thanks Kevin.  Saw your last one and loved it. 

George

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
Out of curiosity. Looking at that models drawing there are two parts left off. Something I always drew in my side view was the propeller and landing gear to get an idea of scale. So what size propeller would a scale Tsunami have for that model ? And would it still hae ground clearance if you drew it with the gear as scale ? Hope that is phrased clearly ?

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »
i have a new veco 1.5 spinner with a solid back plate .i can machine the back plate and the cox thrust washer to be true . cut the head off of a 5/40 screw to make a stud.make a new prop nut and spinner cone to take a 5/40 allen should be true all the way. Rad
rad racer

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »
@ Jim. It won't be a scale model. Just the side view profile is. It won't have gear. I fly over grass. The prop will be determined out at the field.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
@ Bob. Is the spinner you have all aluminum? Because I want to keep the weight down, I would like to try a plastic or carbon fibre one 1st. If its tail heavy, I might consider using aluminum. Thanks for the offer though!👍

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
it is cast aluminum
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here