News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:07:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Southwestern Models "Dilbod"?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Southwestern Models "Dilbod"?
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:16:42 AM »
Can anyone tell me anything about this design?  A source for pictures, specs, plans, etc.?  I have checked Barry Baxter's site and Uncle Willie too.  No luck.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Southwestern Models "Dilbod"?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
I have a kit that was a copy made by Kenn Smith.  I can probably scan in all the parts and plans and stuff for you.  I sort of planned to put a Holland Hornet in it someday.   Zing!!!

H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
Good report Larry!

How about a really nice pic of a red one for starters?
http://www.control-line.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=34

A great looking 1/2A racer! I really don't know anything about it but a search for "dilbod" is really disapointing but if you go here:
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=dil-bod&mik=photo&mik=graphic&mip=all&mis=all&miwxh=all
You get a little more.

Do you like the old racers? Have you heard of the "Stiletto" 1/2A racer published in one of the magazines? Truly one of the finest looking 1/2A planes I have ever laid eyes on! If you want I will be glad to dig that one up.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
There are Dil-Bod threads on both this and SSW forums. The NCCL model is by Dave Evar and is built undersized. Actual span should be 14". Here are ad photo and plans. - SK

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
Thanks all,  I managed to get a small hard copy printed out from the North Coast Control Liners site. Tiny little thing, 14" span, that makes it about 40 sq. in. wing.  Should make for some hot landings.

Larry, scans would be very helpful if it's not too much trouble, otherwise I'll be freehanding some shapes and reinventing the wheel for bulkheads, etc.

Robert, I would like to see the little Stiletto racer if you have a pic or something.  Again, thanks to all, as always y'all are a large help!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »
Sure thing Ray!
I'll go dig it up. Just want to make sure it is understood that this is not the famous and wonderful Les McDonald's Stunt ship I refer to!

Robert

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
There was a 1/2A Proto published in American Aircraft Modeler sometime after March, 1970 called the Stiletto.  Plans are available from the AMA plans service.  The copy of the article I have in my file does not show the date.

This is really a neat little airplane.

Hope the scans come through OK

Keith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »
Keith, that be the one! It is in Dec 1970 AAM however I cannot find a plan listing on the net. The magazine lists it as plan 1201 but that was then. Nowadays  I have no idea how to find a plan listing.

Here is a pic of the model in more detail. The first time I laid eyes on it I just knew there and then I was looking at something more than special.

Robert

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
There are Dil-Bod threads on both this and SSW forums. The NCCL model is by Dave Evar and is built undersized. Actual span should be 14". Here are ad photo and plans. - SK

I'll be darned! All this time I thought the Dilbod was a hollow log.

BTW, that SNAP! was to pre-release the 1/2A Snapper, which paired well with the Atwood Shriek .049 which was released about the same time. The Snapper is mostly 1/32" sheet and is a good flyer.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
Keith, that be the one! It is in Dec 1970 AAM however I cannot find a plan listing on the net. The magazine lists it as plan 1201 but that was then. Nowadays  I have no idea how to find a plan listing.

(clip)

Robert

The AMA plans service has this Stiletto in their plans listing.  Simply go to the AMA website, call up their plans listing and there are the plans for this Stiletto.

Here is another try to post a copy of the magazine article plans.

Keith

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
Keith, that scan came though fine.
Yes thank you for your encouragement about the AMA plan ser. I was simply not doing it right! I was typing the word "Stiletto" in the search box at the very top of the page.
This time I scrolled down and clicked on the plans that start with "S" and there it was. Too bad they don't show a picture for it like they do some of the other plans. This is one that really deserves to be seen!

Robert

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
I'll be darned! All this time I thought the Dilbod was a hollow log.

BTW, that SNAP! was to pre-release the 1/2A Snapper, which paired well with the Atwood Shriek .049 which was released about the same time. The Snapper is mostly 1/32" sheet and is a good flyer.

George

Yup, I see that George Millikin designed both the Snapper and the Dil-bod, and Jim Phillips drew the plans for both.  Interesting. 
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
Sure thing Ray!
I'll go dig it up. Just want to make sure it is understood that this is not the famous and wonderful Les McDonald's Stunt ship I refer to!

Robert
I will admit this little plane influenced the name of the stunt ship I built after seeing it in AAM. My apologies to it's designer but, at the time, I never thought I would carry the "Stiletto" name very far. You gotta admit though, this little racer is really neat looking and , once again, my apologies for the plagiarism
                                                                                                                         Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here