News:

• April 15, 2024, 11:18:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: source for 1/2A bladder material  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Tim Stagg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
source for 1/2A bladder material
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
Guys,

can anyone point me to someone who sells Bladder tubing for 1/2A tanks.

thanks
Tim Stagg

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
Re: source for 1/2A bladder material
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »
I believe they get it from here...

http://www.texastimers.com/
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
Phil Cartier Corehouse, listed in the vendors section. Melvin at Model Builders Supply.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:50:45 AM »
Thanks Guys
Tim Stagg

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
tim have u found any bladder material yet
rad racer

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:27:00 AM »
I found it in the two places suggested. I am just waiting to try it with the tank I have mounted before i pull the trigger and buy it. I like the way bladder tanks run, they are just a messy pain in the butt....

I know I am probably hoping against hope, but maybe that fine tread Ace needle value assembly has special powers and will allow it to draw fuel better.

What can I say, I'm an optimist ;D
Tim Stagg

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
try case pressure before u give up on the metal tank
rad racer

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
Does anyone have a rear back plate case tapped that they want to sell?? I have looked on Cox's site but they don't have any.
Tim Stagg

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
Does anyone have a rear back plate case tapped that they want to sell?? I have looked on Cox's site but they don't have any.
Cox Engine Forum would be a good place to ask if it doesn't pan out here.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »
I don't know of anyone who has one, why do u need it
rad racer

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Bob

From what I understand, that is the best way to provide CC pressure. I have read that the little nipple on the front of the CC is worthless.

I have no first hand knowledge, just what I have read.

Can you provide any insight?

thanks
Tim Stagg

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
Guys,

can anyone point me to someone who sells Bladder tubing for 1/2A tanks.

thanks

Hi Tim, is this request related to my suggestion to use a balloon fuel tank to reduce flying weight

and to achieve reliable fuel feed of your TD .051 powered profile Mustang?   If it is referring to my

ballon tank suggestion;  then I apologize for  misleading you. A Balloon fuel tank(also called a Baggie tank),

is not a pressure tank, it is made from a rubber balloon or baggie, and operates using normal atmospheric

pressure.  I don't know who originated the concept. I was using the provided balloon tank in my 1953 AJ

Fire Baby.  However, if you already know what a balloon tank is;  I apologize again for jumping to a conclusion.

Best of luck with your model;   Tony G  H^^

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »
Tony, The Walker Firebaby was also the earliest use of a non-pressure balloon tank that I can remember, and may be the first use ever.

Tim, balloon tanks are easy to make, easy to use, and work flawlessly! Toy balloons work great, and come in a large variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. Texas Timers used to sell them, and any other free flight builders site should have instructions, and materials to make them. Instructions are probably on this site if you search.

One thing to remember is that a syringe or squeeze bulb are necessary to fill them. You need to draw all the air out of the balloon before (or after) filling, so your engine does not draw air bubbles while running. No vent or overflow tubes are necessary, because the balloon collapses while draining to close the space occupied by fuel as it's used by the engine.

Never overfill the balloons with fuel, or you will likely flood the engine while starting! Just enough fuel to inflate the balloon, or just a measured amount for whatever flight time you desire. The balloon does not have to be full, because it contains no air for the engine to draw.

I'm told balloon tanks don't last a long time, but mine on the Firebaby lasted a very long time (using diesel fuel), because it drained naturally after a flight just by pulling the fuel line from the spray bar. It may help to drain all the fuel after flying with a syringe or bulb.

When you see how easy and fast they go together, you can make a half dozen spares, and store them out of the sun until needed. Sun destroys rubber balloons in short order.

Another advantage of balloon tanks is they can adapt to almost any size tank compartment such as an old 35mm film can, plastic bottles, or balsa tank compartments. Fuel proof the wood compartments with fuel proof dope, or thinned epoxy just in case.

Good luck!

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »

Tim, yes the nipple on the plastic housing is useless, I just checked my stash and I have 2 cox backplates with pressure nipples in them send me your address and they are yours ,one has a bigger nipple to work with.

the thing to remember is to NOT let the fuel run into the engine from the pressure line and flooding the engine when filling  .I try to remove the pressure line from the tank and fill tank from there
rad racer

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Hi Tim, is this request related to my suggestion to use a balloon fuel tank to reduce flying weight

and to achieve reliable fuel feed of your TD .051 powered profile Mustang?   If it is referring to my

ballon tank suggestion;  then I apologize for  misleading you. A Balloon fuel tank(also called a Baggie tank),

is not a pressure tank, it is made from a rubber balloon or baggie, and operates using normal atmospheric

pressure.  I don't know who originated the concept. I was using the provided balloon tank in my 1953 AJ

Fire Baby.  However, if you already know what a balloon tank is;  I apologize again for jumping to a conclusion.

Best of luck with your model;   Tony G  H^^

The first balloon tank I seen was in the A-J Aircraft Fire Baby. ARF. D>K D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
MR TIM  these old eyes are getting bad .I thought u asked for a Back Plate tap and see that u asked for a Tapped Back Plate .as I said I have 2 diff ones u are welcome to. Rad
rad racer

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
The first balloon tank I seen was in the A-J Aircraft Fire Baby. ARF. D>K D>K
  Riley Wooten was the first to use the Balloon in slow combat
rad racer

Jim Roselle

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »
I used to buy my bladder material locally at a fishing supply store.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
Last year when I started a post asking questions about running Tee Dees on uniflow tanks, someone responded that the plastic nipple on the plastic crankcase is pretty useless by itself.  You can't get fuel hose to stay on the plastic nipple.    But if you cut off (cut back?) the barbs on a blind nut and screw the blind nut onto the plastic nipple (barbs pointed toward you) you can get the fuel line to stay on the round body of the blind nut.

I haven't tried it myself, but I would hazard that the guy who recommended it had tried it.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here