News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some "Youngsters" May Recognize This Design  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Some "Youngsters" May Recognize This Design
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
I haven't built a 1/2A model in many years. About two years ago I built this wing and then hung it up. I'm waiting for warm weather so I can paint some unfinished projects and decided to frame up the fuselage today. It's "scratch" built from plans, not a kit. It will have a Holland Hornet for power, which I got from Dankar in Tucson a few years ago.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Some "Youngsters" May Recognize This Design
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:23:23 PM »

Dennis I saw one many moons ago, and I ain't no youngster, but what I see looks real good and I'd like to see it when you get it finished... LL~ LL~
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
My vote is for a 1/2A Snapper! Built one many years ago!

RK Flyer
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
"Many Moons Ago" and "Snapper" are incorrect.
Hint - it was kitted by Guillows and the plan is laid out for clockwise flight.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:44:58 AM by Dennis Saydak »
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
Baby Barnstormer, and the Holland may be a bit much. It was flown with an Atwood Wasp. The Holland is WAY more powerful and a lot heavier.

Great looking construction, though. Keep those photos coming!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
Baby Barnstormer, and the Holland may be a bit much. It was flown with an Atwood Wasp.

The Bingo award goes to Larry. The construction is quite involved for a 1/2A model (especially the wing). It was a lot of work.
I don't have a Wasp or lower performance 1/2A engine so it may just wind up as a Hanger Queen.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »
... so it may just wind up as a Hanger Queen.

Noooooo!!!!    :'(

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
Too easy as it says Baby Barn in the link below the pic.   Love the construction. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 04:58:00 PM »
I did a little more work on this project recently. I have the wing nicely fitted to the fuselage and the tail feathers are cut out. The L.G and tank floor are also installed.

Before I can go much farther I need to decide on what engine to use. I don't have a Wasp or other suitable .049 and I don't want to spend big bucks buying one from fleabay. I do have NIB Pee Wee .020s and a Tee Dee .020. Will either of these options be suitable to fly it? I don't have the 1/2A experience to know. .049s with beam mounts are generally too wide to fit between the sides. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with using the engine have, sorry Larry.   Just go to a lower pitch.  A 6-3 should work great depending on length lines. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
John, I must agree that my Holland Hornet is too heavy for this model. I have located a nice Wasp .049 locally but it has the tank/back plate mount. I'd need to replace the tank with a standard back plate. Perhaps someone has a worn out or crashed Wasp .049?

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
I haven't built a 1/2A model in many years. About two years ago I built this wing and then hung it up. I'm waiting for warm weather so I can paint some unfinished projects and decided to frame up the fuselage today. It's "scratch" built from plans, not a kit. It will have a Holland Hornet for power, which I got from Dankar in Tucson a few years ago.

I built one of those a little over 60 years ago. Powered it with a first generation Wen Mac 049. I flew better than I could at the time and I have a picture of it somewhere in the dark musty archives.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
I built one of those a little over 60 years ago. Powered it with a first generation Wen Mac 049. I flew better than I could at the time and I have a picture of it somewhere in the dark musty archives.

"Wen Mac .049" Now that brings back some real memories - all of them bad!
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
A little more progress. Wing is glued into the fuselage, pushrod is installed & stab is hinged. Hopefully one more Saturday build session and it will be ready to cover. I'd like to cover it with Japanese tissue as I have lots on hand. The Big Barn Stormer was built by a club member.

Sheesh! this thing is as much work as the full size one. Smaller hands would have made things a lot easier.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:01:00 PM by Dennis Saydak »

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
I've completed all construction except for the nose & engine mounting. I've located a Wasp.049 and I'm waiting for some parts from MECOA to convert it to C/L. In the meantime I'll put some clear dope on it  and get back to covering & painting my other winter build projects. The weather has finally warmed up enough for me to paint in the garage/outside.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »
Dennis, I have a couple of Atwood .049 back plates. If those will fit the Wasp, they are yours for the asking. Need an address if you can use them.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »
Thanks to Bill Adair for supplying the Atwood parts I needed to complete this model. I now  have the engine mounted and the nose area done. I just need to fit the tank, close the top nose block, make a canopy and cover it. It's getting close and so are a couple of other projects I am working on (non 1/2A).

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »

I built my Baby Barnstormer in 1954 from a Guillows kit.  Power was an O.K. Cub .049 (marginal power).  It was the best half-A stunter I ever had.  It flew the maneuvers just like the big one which I built in 1987 with a Fox .35.  I was a great little plane !       D>K       H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here