News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyray 110 Revisited  (Read 979 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Skyray 110 Revisited
« on: March 15, 2022, 01:07:19 AM »
As I posted in the Main board, I’m having all kinds of fun using my Cricut Maker machine to cut out parts for planes.  I just keep drawing up more and more planes.

One was my Skyray 110 (https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/built-up-wing-12a-skyray/msg616243/#msg616243).  It just kept weighing on me, and I eventually had to do something about it. There were a couple of things on the first one that I wasn't satisfied with, so I'd toyed with doing another one, but didn't really feel like taking the time to cut a kit out, with all the other things I'm wanting to do.  With the Maker, no reason not to do it. My first Skyray 110 was a beam mount, so I went ahead and drew this one for a radial mount as the SIG Skyray has.  A Black Widow will be more suited to 110 sq.in. wing than a TD .049 engine.  The fuselage is 1/4", but the Cricut Maker won't cut thicker than 3/32".  So I'll cut two 3/32" fuselage blanks, and one 1/16" blank and laminate them together to make a nice, stiff 1/4" fuse.

Behold, the Skyray 110 MKII:

The red parts will be cut from 1/16" sheet, and the purple from 3/32" sheet.

And,  the parts for this cut out on The Machine.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Skyray 110 Revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:48 AM »
Okay, time to start gluing.  I won’t do a lot of pictures, since it’s almost the same as my previous Skyray 110.  I’ll just do pics of things that are different from the first build.

The wing goes together too easily.  Everything fits just right the first time, in no time. 

As I said earlier, the fuse is ¼”, but the Maker will cut 3/32” max thickness.  So I’m laminating two 3/32” and one 1/16” fuse blanks, sandwiching the 1/16” between the two 3/32” blanks.  Man!  This fuse is not flexing.  My first 110 fuse would twist with prop torque, but this thing ain't gonna twist at all.

I learned a couple of new things.  I use Glad cling wrap over the plane to glue everything up, since CA doesn't stick to the cling wrap.  But, CA DOES stick to Glad Press N' Seal....  Don't do it! 

Also, I made a new building board using some purple foam that Home Depot was pushing for projects.  I taped two sheets together with 3M Heavy Duty clear packing tape to make a 24"x38" to fit the desk area I have in the spare room.  I normally tape the Glad cling wrap with scotch tape to the building board.  But as I was tearing off the wrap and trying to lay it on the board, I found that the Glad wrap sticks to the tape.  Hmmm....  So I placed two vertical strips of the packing tape on the building board, and then stretched the cling wrap over them to hold it in place.  Works great!  When I'm done with this project, I'm going to put several strips on the board so that I can hold down the cling wrap this way for all future builds.

More to come…

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 07:44:34 AM »
Awesome!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 02:29:29 PM »
That is fantastic!  I had so much fun with the flat wing Skyray when i was teenager in the 90's.  This would have been great then.  I might just have to build one of these with the built up wing!
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here