News:

• May 12, 2024, 05:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Stork CG??  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak Stork CG??
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »
I have finished my new Brodak Stork but the plans show a CG at 1 1/8 inch back from the LE. The manual says the CG is a full 2 1/4 inch back from the LE. Old saying is... Nose heavy flys bad but will fly again.... While a tail heavy plane will only fly once.  So which is correct?
Also my finished flying weight with the 1300 mAH battery is 500 grams. Heavy to me but should stick to the end of my 40ft metal lines.
Thanks for any help. Always fun when a companies info does not match.

Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Stork CG??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:01:41 AM »
A: what % of the total wing chord do those numbers represent? It should be around 15%.

B: call or e-mail Brodak and ask them.

C: fly it with the forward location and see what it does.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
The overall cord?  Lenght from from to back at the fuselage is a hair less than 7.... So 1 1/8inch is nearly spot on for 15% if I am close on my math. 2 1/4 inch is what 25-28%? 

I did a short test flight at 1/3 full power and the shortest time I could do with 35ft lines... I still flew the our board wing thru a tree branch or two... She came through and I quickly slipped further into the grass field...  At the end of the flight i finally found out what a glide path is... lol.

My Magician might be a 1/2a but she is a small one with a wingspan of only 27 1/2 inches but flying weight is 570 grams now. The Stork is 500grams but has a full 36inch wing...

And compared to the swordsmans wingspan of just 18 inches with a flying weight of 340 grams... If it don't fumble ass over tea kettle 4 times then I must of done a dirt nap earlier in the flight. Lol this is what I call flying...
I can not wait to get a hold of the 1/2a Magicians Eric Rule is lasering up for me.

WOW a real glide path... no more falling out of the sky like an F-15 Eagle doing a dead stick landing
P

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
my spitfire (same basic plane) is at 1 3/8 and is a little touchy.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
That 2 1/4 must be a misprint. Thanks for the spitefire info I think there a 3rd or 4th version... ME- 109?  And nobler?

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
Yes, I have built the me 109 and the spitfire. they both flew very well.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
I have finished my new Brodak Stork but the plans show a CG at 1 1/8 inch back from the LE. The manual says the CG is a full 2 1/4 inch back from the LE. Old saying is... Nose heavy flys bad but will fly again.... While a tail heavy plane will only fly once.  So which is correct?
Also my finished flying weight with the 1300 mAH battery is 500 grams. Heavy to me but should stick to the end of my 40ft metal lines.
Thanks for any help. Always fun when a companies info does not match.

Tally ho
Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I have a Stork that I built about 15 years ago with a Cox TeeDee .051 & a metal clunk tank that I built.  The weight less fuel is 298 grams (10.5 ounces) and I put the balance point 1 1/4 inches back from the leading edge.  It flies just fine at that balance point, doing the entire AMA pattern on 52' .008 braided cables.  I think that I am going to shorten the lines to 50' for better performance in the wind, however.  Best of luck with yours...they are good flyers.

Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
1 1/2" is perfect. I put it through two batteries and it was so nice to finally have an electric plane that I can fly and stunt. So for me that is a win win situation. I have a simple life. Thanks for all the help team. It has helped.
Tally ho
Rosie

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here