News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Staggerwing Beechcraft  (Read 1505 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sig Staggerwing Beechcraft
« on: March 03, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
Has anyone built one of these Sig Bi-Planes? How do they fly? will a Golden Bee haul it around? Is it worth the effort.

t.i.a.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Staggerwing Beechcraft
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »
I built one when I was in high school.  IIRC, it'll be a good scale subject, but not something to stunt with.  I did try to stunt with it, and I didn't know crap about CG at the time, so it didn't live a long life.

I'd certainly build another one.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the info Tim, for 25 bucks i'll probably try it. Fun build for our 1/2 A day fun fly.

Rich

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
Rich......I built one a few years ago and I remember having trouble installing the bell crank in the fuselage .Its hard to leave any access to it with the wings on. It is a nice looking plane when finished.

RK Flyer  HIHI%%
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »
         Golden Bees came in  different varieties. Early Golden Bees, shared the same backplate as a Babe Bee and utilized the same cylinder porting. If you have a early version, it flies the plane fairly for what it is. Later Golden Bees were available with larger venturi opening and dual bypass cylinders. This would fly the plane substantially better. The plane is a bit heavy but it will stunt. I cored wherever I could and covered with silkspan. The landing gear likes to punch through the bottom wing. The cowling is cool but it makes fueling a pain in the neck and it requires removing the cylinder to install the engine or remove it. It's ABS plastic which grinds and cuts well as you need to accurately cut the hole for the cyinder. The cowling makes it difficult to prime the engine so I cut a small semi circle just large enough for the fuel line in the cylinder exit hole.  The decals absolutely need to be fuel proofed as they will krinkle and smear in short order.

Offline YellowJacket

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:07 PM »
Actually, my wife just finished one (please look for the post that says “little wifey’s first plane” for a couple pics...I may be biased but it makes a fine looking flying model.

There are blocks provided with wood screws to easily remove the cowl (it’s a really cool feature) and you simply cut a portion away for the engine cylinder (just remove a thumb sized swath that allows plenty of room for cylinder and and priming).

Make sure to use epoxy for wing and landing gear attachment, as well as adding fillets at wing joints to improve robustness. I build strongly for crash resistance and don’t mind at all having a heavier airplane as a result.

The plane balances perfectly with a baby bee but a golden bee with its longer tank will probably need a little tail weight.

Not sure about the decals yet but Sig told me they were fuel proof, so we will see after a while.

Might want to replace tbe kit provided control horn with a Kavan small horn Sig sells for about a $1.50 for two, and add small eyelets or washers to the leadout wire line guide (glued to the inside wing strut) to facilitate smooth travel of the lines.

Speaking of wing struts, hers were a smidgeon short so I instructed her to put cap strips on them and it turned out very nicely.

This is a fun, quick build and the customizable options are quite plentiful...enjoy!

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:20:44 AM »
Thanks guy's, Ken , hope to see you and Shawn Sunday.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:30 AM »
This is one I built about 5 years ago. Product engine on bladder pressure probably a black widow cylinder. Would be a much better flier in the hands of a more competent pilot that builds lighter than me. Both very low bars to get over! I will say it’s a fun little airplane that looks way cool out on the lines.

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here