News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig 1/2A's  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sig 1/2A's
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:39:49 AM »
Since I've been a modeler, I've never built the Sig Dewybird or the Staggerwing. So, I ordered these two kits from the LHS and picked them up yesterday along with an Akromaster kit.
They suck. The wood in the Dewybird kit is so bad, I doubt the plane would even get off the ground due to the weight. The Stagerwing isn't much better. Sterling wood was better than this.
I don't get it. Most of the Sig wood on the shelf is pretty good stuff. Why do they put all the crap wood in their kits? I've already replaced most of the Akromaster's wood.
Another thing, I thought the Stagerwing was supposed to be a stuntable model? How stuntable can it be with flat bottom wings?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Sig 1/2A's
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »
Insides only?

Seriously, I'd be more concerned with its weight--flat-bottom wings WILL fly inverted, with enough angle of attack. Not pretty, but do-able. Besides, those solid wings are so thin the airfoil probably doesn't have much effect anyway.  But "too heavy"--that'll have a BIG effect.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »
I haven't built a lot of SIG kits... a couple of Skyrays, a Skyray35, and a couple of Akromasters, but so far I haven't replaced any defective wood. I DID substitute balsa ribs for the plywood ribs and half ribs on the Skyray 35, but that was by choice. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

If you wanna talk bad kit wood, think Berkeley!  :P

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:21 AM »
HA! Think EAGLE!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:48:52 AM »
I recently bought the Staggerwing direct from Sig and the wood is really nice in my opinion. I have seen much worse in many other half A kits. Of course as balsa varies widely in both grain and density it is hard to have good consistancy in most kits. Especially when it comes to the older, mass produced kits. It was more about the money and meeting supply demands than it was for making sure each piece of wood was "hand picked". In more recent years we have expected better and from some suppliers we have gotten better wood. This can spoil us!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »
I greatly suspect that it is also a matter of what wood is available when the kits are run.  There have been times, in recent years, where 4-6 lb. wood was virtually non existent for the suppliers to get.  If those kits were run during that period then the wood was probably not soo good!  Sig would have culled all the good wood to sell for their sheet wood.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
I'm just going to copy the Dewybird to better wood and save the kit for patterns. I guess I'll try to assemble the Stagerwing the bes I can, replacing wood as needed. Makes me mad that I shelled out dough for kits and then have to re-kit everything. HB~>
Oh, I picked up a Brodak Flying Clown today too. Worlds better than the Sig stuff.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 05:39:02 PM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »
As much as I really like Sig, their wood choice for the CL kits tends to leave a lot to be desired. I am not sure why. I remember taking the Sig Factory tour some years back during the June Sig Contest, and the lady giving the tour remarked that the kit wood was completely separately handled from the wood on the shelves. Again, not too sure what that means, but at that time (no longer), you could roam the wood aisles picking what you wanted.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
Another thing to consider when commenting on these "beginner" types of kits, these were never really kitted with the experienced modeler in mind. When most of us were building for the first time we would hardly have noticed the quality of the wood so long as there were no holes that didn't belong and the wood was not warped beyond use as we were more concerned with trying to make sure that the thing was easy to build and turned out looking pretty close to the picture on the box!
Our next concern was getting it airborn at all and then... trying to do a little more with it as we became more comfortable flying it... That is, if the plane were to survive all of our bumbling short comings and goofs up to this point!

We have learned to be able to lighten our models since then and we can apply many of these techniques to such kits today. This of course will mean they won't be as sturdy but most of us can live with that as we are beyond the learning curve.
We can take the shaped balsa wings and cut lightening holes in them and in some instances add a few ribs in the larger holes. After the sanding and covering you will have a much better wing than you would have had you merely sanded and doped.
Another posibility is to of course replace the wood with lighter wood or even build a built up wing to replace the original. With an airfoil on both sides if you wish!

With the kit as a starting point you could wind up with a much better plane in the end with just a little more money in the parts and a reasonable amount of work.

One thing is sure... Those wonderful decals in the Staggerwing kit are sure hard to beat! It would be a pretty difficult to improve on these as they come out of the box!

Clint, be sure to keep us informed with your building progress!

Robert 
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here