News:

• June 15, 2024, 04:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nelson plug for Brodak 049  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
Nelson plug for Brodak 049
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
Which plugs are you guys using in the Brodak 049 first edition?  I have one of these engines and it is seriously lacking power.  Ran it with a 5x3 prop and try both 10/29 all Castor and 10/22 50/50 oil.  It was so hard to get started and when it did run it wouldn't scream like a Cox.

Thanks

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nelson plug for Brodak 049
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »
There are two good  cures for poor running in this engine.  First is to drill out the fin unit and use it as a clamp for Merlin glowheads.  This is good for 1500 rpm boost.  Then the ultimate is to get the Nelson head and use Nelson  plugs.  This gained 3000 rpm!

I will go out on a limb here and state that you can NOT get a decent run on a .049 with a regular glow plug head.  This was one of the great advantages that Cox had.  Then copied byk Atwood, Holland and even, ultimately, Cub! H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
Is there a web site that I can order these from?  Did a search and came up empty handed.
Thanks

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
           Jay, Brodak sells the Merlin plugs in a pkg of 3 and a head clamp for about $14.00 which can be used on Cox engines, Norvel's , AP wasps, etc. This is quite a bargain considering the costs of other plugs individually. The other benefit is that you can run these plugs fairly hard using high nitro. In the case with my engine, I was able to up the compression a bit my omitting the head gasket by lapping the piston liner on apiece of glass using sandpaper. This was done with the head button as well. Your not going to see high rpm numbers using this engine. You certainly will see an increase as Larry stated. The instruction tell you to use 10% fuels. I went to 35% nitro and got significantly better starts and more rpm's. The Brodak engine doesn't have a roll  pin that keeps the cylinder liner in constant alignment. This means that when you tighten the cylinder,  the  head the liner is going to turn to some degree. This requires taking the cylinder head  off several times and turning the liner the opposite way slightly until it aligns correctly in the case. My engine initially had half the exhaust outlet blocked. Keep an eye on the exhaust port while tightening the head. This will also rob you of rpm's if it is off.  I had good success with a APC 5x3. This prop allowed the engine to turn up a bit with still enough drive. The downside to this size APC is the cost at $3.95 a prop. I didn't try some of the other sizes but I'd be curious to know how a 5.5x2.5 would do as it costs about half of the 5x3. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
The Brodak Mk I .049s and .061s are not compatible with Cox/Norvel/AP Wasp heads.  You must either drill out the fin unit as above to use as a clamp or buy the Nelson fin unit and plug system.

There is nothing I know of that you can do with the Mk II engine to improve it.

Merlin plugs are available from merlinglowplugs.biz

I don't have a source for the Nelson unit, but you can try:  the-printer.net (Doug Galbreath), kitting ittogether.com and texastimers.com .  One of those should either have it, can get it or tell you where.  Also do a search on this forum and it might pop up.

Or, just bite the bullet and buy an AP Wasp and get a heck of a lot better engine to start with.   VD~

DesignMan

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I was just looking for someway to make this engine worth using.  I have so many 1/2A's that I really don't wanna put anymore money into engines.  I was looking for a quick easy fix and now I see there aren't any.
Thanks again.

Jay
Albert Einstein

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
The Merlin glowheads are pretty cheap, and make the engine quite useful.  You could even do the plug hole modification with a hand reamer. I don't understand your last post.  ???

DesignMan

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
I guess I said it wrong but honest thanks for your advice.  I am going to try the Merlin glow plug since anything is better than what I have now.

Jay
Albert Einstein

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:02:39 AM »
       Jay, you also have the option of trying a finer needle valve. This may require a a slight enlarging of the existing hole in the case. This again is going to take some ingenuity due to it not being designed for the case. Texas Timers offers a retro for the Cox Medallion and they show you how others have done it. Doing so may give you a leaner adjustment instead of the engine starting to peak then falling off. You could also open the venturi up . Keep in mind though this can be risky as you could go too far and run the problem of not getting fuel draw. This should be done in steps of only a few thousandths of an inch.  I ended up doing this to mine due to a piece of flash that was never removed from the casting. This is a bit tricky as you have to remove the burr you created when the bit exits the hole into the crankshaft journal. Using a Dremel carefully and needle files is what I had to do. I certainly wouldn't give up on the engine. I do like mine. I feel the majority of flyers though compare them to the Norvel and other engines. Ken

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Off topic but maybe a thought. I bought a Fora .06 F1J engine. Why no conversions needed/ uses Nelson plug like my 2.5cc engine. Radial mount you can setup any position you want. Simple bladder tank and no problems with fuel draw. Last power thats unreal. It doesn't need hi nitro and its a beauty. OK a little over kill but get a Norvel. A friend local here in Tucson was making a B-36 and bought a bunch of AP Wasps .061's. He is quite dismayed as they don't run that good. I know some love them but not all. I have one and it looks decent but have not run it yet. I don't know why Brodak went with CS to make engines. C/S are china junkers.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
the problem with the AP Wasps, as far as I know, is the throttle setup.  It is flimsy, poor fitting,so needle setting changes just by touching the needle valve.  Ditch it and get a custom-made venturi and you've got a good little engine.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Amen, bro!  I regularly use 3 of them, all with Holuszko venturis.  One more has the Tee Dee .049 venturi.  All run fantastic, as long as the plugs survive (about 20 flights, I think).  Once the element goes dull and white, you can run the engine, but the needle setting is unreliable.

Anyone know how to clean the white crud off plug elements? I have a small pile of otherwise good plugs.

DesignMan

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
May I ask if the bad plugs are original AP plugs, or other brands?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
             I myself have played with the Brodak engine for about a season. Since I fly 1/2A a lot, this equates to a number of flights. I'm no engine guru, but I can surely get some good running equipment. When I took my Brodak engine apart, I noticed the cutout for the intake of the crankshaft is machined like the Cox Medallion. I often wondered, if this was ground more like the TD if it would start to wake up a bit more. Certainly the TD has that large cutout for a reason. Could the cylinder liner be opened up as well? This goes back to the if it ain't broke leave it alone theory. I was just looking here for some clarification to what makes this engine and others operate at a higher performance level. I think the most viable mod is using the Merlin plug and drilling the head. I also weigh the cost of a new head in the event I wanted to purchase a new one. In the case of grinding out a crankshaft, it would be obvious there would be no going back here and it would require a new one. I didn't try grinding out the crank, but I certainly wouldn't object to doing it even if it meant me buying another. I know just from my experimentation using Cox engines that porting is a big factor. That is clearly noticeable when going from a single port Bee cylinder to a dual port Black Widow. Where do you even begin if one decided to grind the ports open? It just seems to me this engine has a lot more to give. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
Bill, the plugs weren't "bad", they just get beat to death.  20 runs x 5 minutes x 21000 rpm = 2,100,000 cycles.  I think that is pretty reasonable!  The effect happens no matter what plugs I run.

HB~>

DesignMan

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
Larry,

Thanks for the info.

As seldom as I fly, or bench run my engines these days I will never have to worry about that problem.  ;D

I'm probably going to install one of my AP Wasp engines in the next build, and that will be the first Wasp flown by me. Looking forward to that.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
Amen, bro!  I regularly use 3 of them, all with Holuszko venturis.  One more has the Tee Dee .049 venturi.  All run fantastic, as long as the plugs survive (about 20 flights, I think).  Once the element goes dull and white, you can run the engine, but the needle setting is unreliable.

Anyone know how to clean the white crud off plug elements? I have a small pile of otherwise good plugs.

No expert on glow plugs, but didn't some manufacturer or importor (maybe Norvel) have a tech sheet of some sort out a few years ago indicating that latex components in a fuel system could result in a white coating on glow plug elements?  If it is a chemical leaching from a balloon tank, there may be a chemical way to remove the deposit.  I personaly was never that good at chemistry.  I was more of a physics kind of guy.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »
        Hello Wayne, I do recall a tech bulletin that was presented by Norvel. They started to send the same information with their start up and usage instructions. They claimed that using a rubber syringe (typically black) was not good for your plugs. They stated the plungers would slowly degrade and break down getting mixed with your fuel. This would in turn cause the glow plugs life to be shorter. It would cause deposits on the plugs leading to poor performance and shorter life. They did recommend using a fuel bulb designed for alcohol fuels. I can't say I followed the instructions myself. I also have noticed the white crud on the plugs. I had one today that still glowed fairly well but the last coil wasn't glowing due to this crud. I think it surely is a form of oxidation and removing it would more or less render the plug useless. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here