News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Little Bipe first version  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Scientific Little Bipe first version
« on: February 17, 2022, 06:07:14 PM »
Hello
                   Does anybody in this forum has the scientific little bipe plan of the first version that was shown on the box before they came out with the Musciano version? here is a pic of what I`m looking for.
                                                                                                                                                                          Juan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific Little Bipe first version
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:47:01 PM »
Hi Juan,

Good to see you are still working on models! Hope you are doing well.

But I'm sorry to say I can't help you with your request. Not even sure who to ask....

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:53:20 PM »
Go to the search function and the type in Scientific kit plans.  Be prepared to read. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
Hi Juan,

Good to see you are still working on models! Hope you are doing well.

But I'm sorry to say I can't help you with your request. Not even sure who to ask....

Dave
                     Hello Dave Is nice to hear from you,I`m ok at this time. I had some health issues but feeling better each day. I still have all my cox engines and Still like to build very much.  About the plan I think that maybe was printed in the kit box interior just like they did on the little Devil kit. The designer of the little devil was by Aldo Spampani with plans by walter musciano.  Thanks for replying.
                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 04:08:20 PM »
Go to the search function and the type in Scientific kit plans.  Be prepared to read. D>K

Hello John
                                          Thanks for the information,will be searching and reading everything.
                                                                                                                                                                                             Juan

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »
I have one available…
Gord V
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 10:07:59 PM »
I have one available…
Gord V
                          Hello Gordon
                                                    That is what I`m interested in, I would greatly appreciate if  you could post more photos showing a side view,front view,rear view and a bottom view? That model is very hard to find information about.
                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 11:34:35 PM »
When I saw that plan clip it brought back some pretty old memories.  I think that it may have been Scientific that kitted the Little Stinker Pits Special in it's log series.  Does any body know?  I was about 4 when my father helped me build one.  Mostly he built, I watched.  OK Cub .049.  I don't remember if we ever flew it.  1951 I think.  Earliest memory I have and what is it - a model airplane!  We lived across the street from a little drug store that carried all of the small Commet kits.  I think I built all of them by the time I was 8.  Simpler time.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 07:07:59 PM »
Hello Guys
                              Gordon Van Tighem came thru with some photos that are going to be very helpful as I`m trying to do a little bipe like it looks on the artwork in the kit box. They show details like the wing struts, position of the cockpit and they show that there is a cabane strut on the fuselage holding the wing at the center. I was guessing that there was a strut needed to hold the wings at the center and made one that doesen`t look like the one on Gordons model. I`m really thankful for Gordon`s photos. The last one is of the bipe that I`m making. here they are.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 05:51:26 PM »

I did a little more work on the little bipe.  I made new V wing struts and added a cabane strut. Haven`t been able to do more work due to power outage and health. I also have been doing a couple of PAT-1 by Bill Netzeband which was my first balsawood as I was moving from cox plastic P-40 to fly with my cousin`s son. here are a pair of pics. 
                                                                                                                                                                                             Juan

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 06:06:18 AM »
On the bipes I always paint the wings before final assembly.

I did a Scientific Beech 17 from plans.  It went well.  The thing is, bipes don't like to be flown on tall grass.  The wings dig in hard when they land.  But stunting over pavement is risky business for the engine.
Paul Smith

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 06:58:41 AM »
When I saw that plan clip it brought back some pretty old memories.  I think that it may have been Scientific that kitted the Little Stinker Pits Special in it's log series.  Does any body know?  I was about 4 when my father helped me build one....
Ken

Mr. Ken,

Jump over to CEF:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16209-logging-again

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 07:59:11 AM »
Mr. Ken,

Jump over to CEF:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16209-logging-again
Thank You!  OMG, that *is* it.  I remember the box and the plans.  I guess that remembering it from age 4 was prophetic since I don't remember anything earlier.
Some mothers read children's books to their little ones.  I got model airplane plans! n1

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
On the bipes I always paint the wings before final assembly.

I did a Scientific Beech 17 from plans.  It went well.  The thing is, bipes don't like to be flown on tall grass.  The wings dig in hard when they land.  But stunting over pavement is risky business for the engine.
Hello Paul
                      That is an excellent looking Scientific Beech 17. Thanks for the advice on painting and flying. at this time none of the flying surfaces are glued all are being held with rubber band because I thought about painting parts individually.  I will be flying of short grass and will cross my fingers. I will be using an OK.049 to keep it faithfull to the original even tho I`m not building from a Scientific kit. Today I made the Landing gear and tailskid also installed the engine to see how it looked. Still need to make the tank,checked the CG is a little nose heavy and I might need to add weight to the tail. I will check again after painting. Here are a few more pics.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Juan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 10:55:43 PM »
Nice!

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
When I saw that second picture in the post above, I thought, "Why does he have such big wheelpants?!?".

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2022, 06:06:57 PM »
When I saw that second picture in the post above, I thought, "Why does he have such big wheelpants?!?".
                  Hello Mark
                                        They are hollow log fuselages but I found your comment funny.
                                                                                                                                                 Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 02:23:58 PM »

I Haven`t done much on the little bipe waiting on an original little bipe box I acquired. The instructions are on the inside of the box top. I made a round gas tank but it would not fit because I had already glued the firewall so i made a D shaped one and is already installed. Here are some photos.
                                                                                                                                                                        Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 06:01:31 PM »

Since I`m not good at using plastic film and locally it gets hot and plastic film will sag I started painting the fuse of the little bipe. After a few coats of clear dope with some talc I decided to use Transtar 4633 white primer and I`m sanding the primer until I star to see the wood thru it. I have glued the wing cabane strut and the rudder. I like this primer and do my sanding dry with 400 grit sandpaper it powders real good. After sanding I use windex to remove sanding dust before giving the fuse another coat of primer and again I sand until I start to see the wood thru the primer as I want to fill the grain of the wood but remove as much of the primer as I can. here are a few pics.
                                                                                                                         Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 08:07:09 AM »

I received the Little Bipe Box and here are some pictures of the instructions on the top of the box in case someone want to build one. The little Bipe first version is an Aldo Spampani design and the plan by W. Musciano
                                                                                                                                                                                              Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 08:54:26 PM »

I had not being able to work on my little bipe model due to health issues and lately I have done a little work on the project. I painted the fuse,wings and tail feathers white with the idea of covering the wings and elevators using some checkered paper used on the basket used to serve sandwiches at a local cafeteria. The paper is red checkers on a thin white translucent paper. At first I practiced applying it to the wood brushing Pactra clear dope but the red ink would run and smear the white portion of the paper. Then an idea occurred to me and I decided to try gluing it using Elmer`s white glue. I used a damp paper towel to wet the underside of the paper then I applied white glue to the surface being covered, Using a playing card as a squeege I removed the excess glue. I placed the damp paper over the surface and with a playing card I gently removed air bubbles and got rid of wrinkles. Once the wing surface was covered using a small paint brush I applied glue to the trailing edge and leading edge working the paper to follow the shapes. I did the wing tip last working the paper around the edge which left me with some small wrinkles that I will be removing with sandpaper once I give the wing enough paint coats of clear dope. I`m letting the paint dry before I apply more coats of clear dope. Here are some pics.
                                                                                                                                                                              Juan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 01:46:44 AM »
Now that is creative...and is looking really good!

Dave

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 04:20:27 AM »
Good to see your progress and I commend your ingenuity.
Glad I could help a little with your project. Stay healthy!
Gord VT
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2022, 12:08:42 PM »
Now that is creative...and is looking really good!

Dave
                 Hello Dave
                                              Thanks, necessity is the mother of invention I didn`t have any other choice if I wanted checkers too much work if I tried to paint them.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2022, 12:12:34 PM »
Good to see your progress and I commend your ingenuity.
Glad I could help a little with your project. Stay healthy!
Gord VT
                        Hello Gordon
                                                     Thanks, your help was key in figuring out the changes I had to make. I needed to know there was a center cabane strut and your photos provided that information and the shape of the wing struts.
                                                                                                                                                                 Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2022, 12:26:44 PM »

I have done some work on the Little Bipe. Painted fuse and wing struts and also gave them a clear butyrate coats. I`m working on the installation of controls and now I need to star gluing the parts together. I made a control horn with many holes to adjust elevator travel. I want to start with little travel to feel how the plane flys. I don`t want a touchy controls. Here are some pics.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2022, 10:50:45 PM »
Very, very nice!

Keep the pictures (and progress) coming....

Dave

PS--I actually was working on refinishing a 1/2A biplane fuselage today. Thank you for the additional inspiration....

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »
Very, very nice!

Keep the pictures (and progress) coming....

Dave

PS--I actually was working on refinishing a 1/2A biplane fuselage today. Thank you for the additional inspiration....

Hello Dave
                       I thought you might like to try using nylon hinges on the bipe. I just finished installing some on the little bipe. I bought some nylon hinge material from SIG. I used 30 min epoxy sparingly being careful not to get the epoxy in the dimple. I glued the hinges to the stab and once it was dry then I installed the elevator.  I used a cotton swab and alcohol to clean around.
            https://sigmfg.com/collections/hinges/products/sig-nylon-hinge-material?variant=235962368009
        The one I used is their .010 x 1/2 inch x 24 inches.  I cut some 3/32 wide pieces and then using a set of round tip craftsman pliers I made a dimple to thin the material and make it easy to bend. I like my controls to be easy to move. In this little models you can`t have stiff elevators. The dimple doesn`t weaken the material. I used two pliers to pull on one piece and all it does is stretch but will not break. here are some pics.
                                                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 08:11:38 PM »
Gentlemen,
On this size model with anticipated controls workload (low), I've found old floppy disk material (mylar, I think) to be cheap and just as good as the commercial stuff...and really flippity-floppity loose! So loose, gravity would pull the elevator down.
My boys had a slabby trainer based on  Hal Karlson's ME-109 (on OZ), fitted with this set up. Basically, each hinged surface was slotted with a piece of double edge razor and the 3/16"x3/4" "hinge" was CA glued in (two per side, port/starboard). The plane took a pile of beatings, but the stab/elevator never failed. Nothing wrong with the money way, I just had to try the cheap way...and like it!

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 06:26:37 PM »
Gentlemen,
On this size model with anticipated controls workload (low), I've found old floppy disk material (mylar, I think) to be cheap and just as good as the commercial stuff...and really flippity-floppity loose! So loose, gravity would pull the elevator down.
My boys had a slabby trainer based on  Hal Karlson's ME-109 (on OZ), fitted with this set up. Basically, each hinged surface was slotted with a piece of double edge razor and the 3/16"x3/4" "hinge" was CA glued in (two per side, port/starboard). The plane took a pile of beatings, but the stab/elevator never failed. Nothing wrong with the money way, I just had to try the cheap way...and like it!
                 Hello Jim
                                   I don`t have a floppy disc but I have a friend who owns a computer store and I will get a few to try them out on a future project. Everyday I learn something new.Thanks.
                                                                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2022, 10:24:42 AM »

Well I`m done with building the Little Bipe since the engine is brand new I need to do break in. Here are some pictures of how it came out.

Juan

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »
looks great!
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
Really clean!  I like it!

D

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2022, 12:15:03 PM »
Digging that Checkerboard. Well, the whole plane is awesome! Please video the first flight. Pretty-please...

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »
Any thoughts for a cowl? That nice a model deserves one.

Otherwise, magnificent!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2022, 06:21:04 PM »
Hello guys
                     Thanks for all the kind comments about the Little Bipe. I have to do other things but  I working on getting the engine ready to do break in.
I read Larry Renger comment about a cowling and this morning I made one using a B-12 vitamin bottle from walgreens. I measured and it came out at just the right size. The best part was I didn`t have to paint it to match the fuse. I had to make an aluminum bracket to mount the cowling but still needs work. I also need to extend the needle valve and make a hole for it in the cowling. I placed the cowling on the plane to see how it looks. I`m not planing to use it when I do the first few flights and then if everything comes out right I will try it. I don`t want the extra drag from the cowling since I don`t know how well the OK Cub .049A is going to pull it. here are pics.
                                                                                                                                                             Juan

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2022, 06:32:35 PM »
Hubba, hubba, hubba! Wowzers!
That really finishes the model. I admit I'm a sucker for engine cowls.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2022, 07:32:17 PM »
Truly beautiful! Good show.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
Truly beautiful! Good show.

Hello Larry
                      Thanks, I really appreciate your comments. After I made the cowling using the bottom of the vitamin pill bottle I realized that I could have a more aerodynamic cowling cutting the neck of the bottle which gave me a more gentle curve to the front of the cowling. I made a bracket out of .040 inch soft aluminum to attach it clamping it between the engine and firewall. I drilled the mounting holes on the cowling using a flashlight to shine light on the inside so I could see where to drill the hole. After drilling the first hole I bolted the bracket to the cowling to hold alignment while I drilled the other two holes. This little cowling could be used on other Scientific hollow logs or profiles like scientific Beechcraft staggerwing bipe and F3F wilcat Profile. Here are the pics.
                                                                                                                                                                              Juan

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2022, 09:36:08 AM »
That is way beyond cool, approaching totally cool!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2022, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the cowl details, Mr. V!

The pictures give me ideas for a couple of models on my build bench. I especially appreciate the "back-light" method for spotting the cowl holes.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 04:00:33 PM »
Hello guys
                     Thanks for your kind words. I`m finished building now to look for a place to fly the model if the winds die down. I had to replace the new OK cub .049A the engine had a bad cylinder to piston fit. I replaced it with an OK cub .049B that I have and was able to coax a little over 15K rpm on VP 30%nitro,50% methanol and 20% Blendzall racing castor oil Fuel. I replaced the OK needle valve with a Cox unit with a long needle that I turned down and bent the tip. I Used JB weld to install it since it was loose on the venturi hole. I`m using a blue Top Flite 5 1/4 x 3 plastic prop. It has been a fun build. I always looked at the Sientific Models ads and liked the little Bipe and little devil best. Here are the pics. I enjoy taking photos I hope you guys like them too,I couldn`t resist adding the little tether car to the photo.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2022, 08:06:33 AM »
Hello Ty
               I`m posting the drawings I made on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper of the Little Bipe in hope that you guys can make one if you desire.Top wing wingspan 16 inches,bottom wing 14 inches. Please let me know how it comes out at your end when you print it.Thanks.
                                                                                                                       Juan
P.s.  I downloaded the drawings from this thread and they came out OK.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:33:48 AM by Juan Valentin »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2022, 02:18:21 PM »
Finally sat down and read through this thread.  What a little jewel.  Your craftsman ship is great.  Makes me want to build one.  I think back when I used to build the Scientific kits as that is what the local hard ware store carried and they didn't cost that much.  Flew them in back yard so Dad could watch me from his bed room.  Used a discarded kitchen table for a launching plat form.  Thanks for your posts of this little jewel and I hope it flies well for you. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Finally sat down and read through this thread.  What a little jewel.  Your craftsman ship is great.  Makes me want to build one.  I think back when I used to build the Scientific kits as that is what the local hard ware store carried and they didn't cost that much.  Flew them in back yard so Dad could watch me from his bed room.  Used a discarded kitchen table for a launching plat form.  Thanks for your posts of this little jewel and I hope it flies well for you. D>K
                  Hello John
                                     I really appreciate your kind words. I had a good time researching for information to build this model in hopes of being able to make a model close to the art on the Scientific Models box of the Little Bipe. I always thought that this model and the Little Devil as depicted on the box art were some of the best looking hollow logs. I haven`t being able to fly the model do to high winds.
                                      I`m posting this last photo of the building of the bipe. I was gluing The top wing and to check the alignment in relation to the stabilator and bottom wing I used some sight gauges that I removed from a torpedo level and had glued to 1/64 plywood. In the photo you can see that I needed to adjust the Top wing position to get it level with the other flying surfaces. I had the plane inverted to use the flat side of the wings to place the sight gauges. I adjusted the wing since it was not glued yet and set it in place.
                                                                                                                                                          Juan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2022, 08:30:33 PM »
Good move. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here