News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific 1/2A Kits Responsible for my Insanity Today!  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scientific 1/2A Kits Responsible for my Insanity Today!
« on: March 08, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
 So...........Yesterday I drove from Philly to my pal John Saunder's place in South Jersey to swap some stuff. While there I asked to go down in the shop where he keeps a life long collection of vintage kits (R/C FF, CL). I TRIED to CONTAIN myself to no avail. On the shelf he had a bunch of old Scientific,Sterling,and Springfield 1/2A kits ...profile and hollow log. As a kid (like the rest of you old farts) I loved  to build  these 1/2As. After drooling over his collection ....he allowed me to take home a pristine Scientific P40,built up wing,profile fuse. On the back of the plan were the pictures of all the kits, I can't stop looking it and reminising about the old days.   I think I've lost my marbles over this!!!....I will build the P40 and the Lil Stinker I've got plans for from a nice guy here on Stunt Hanger.........Cheers,Skip

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Scientific 1/2A Kits Responsible for my Insanity Today!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Is it like this one? I loved mine.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 06:42:00 PM »
Yes!!!

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 07:02:21 PM »
I bought mine from a gentleman here several years ago. Then I scanned the plansheet and the 1/4 scale overhead view to full size for a wing template/plan.

The scanned plansheet, decals, wood scans and a plaster buck of the plastic cowl all went to Dave Cowell of DPC Models. I understand he published a list with the plane on it to one of the SH crowd a few months back.

This is a plane I would like to revisit with a lighter engine. Mine wore an AP .061 with a Jan Haluzko venturi. It did a fabulous figure-9 one too may times. I could never get it inverted either.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
Later, I drilled out a Cox spinner barrel and rethreaded it for the 3mm prop shaft. This was after the first bounce off of concrete, so I never got a chance the fit the 3-blase prop and spinner with a cowl
 What a shame, too. I think it would have looked really good!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:59:49 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
Hey Skip,

John is a good guy. His mother must
have taught him to share his toys.

I know what you mean about Muscianos.
They're like old vinyl 45's. You need
to play them more than once and there's
no reason you shouldn't.

I'm currently building a 16" Stinker
so I'll do a build article soon.

Cheers! - K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »
You know the Philly Fliers well. John is just one of a bunch of fun guys.  The "Stinker" looks wonderful. I'll do one sometime in the near future.  I remember well your 1/2A 190D. Looked great out there at Brodaks. I tore my entry up practing the night before on the upper "Scale" circle.   Speaking of Brodaks.....I'm glad that I got to experience it 4 times and feel sorry for our fellow fliers who never got there. It will sorely be missed. Cheers,Skip

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
Hey Skip,

I clearly remember that you doinked your
1/2A entry up on the paved circle.
I think I remember that it was windy
when it happened. (?) and that it was
a slick looking plane.
Sorry about that.

Joe Gilbert was amused by the size
of the audience for that contest, saying
that it was a bigger crowd of spectators
than the finals at the Nats.
Most of us played with little planes as kids
so we can relate to the fun.

I made it to ten Brodak Fly-ins in eleven
years and I made many friends. What a
great bunch of people.

America at it's very best.   y1

Cheers!

Keith Morgan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
If I could of had the money at the time I would have had each and every Scientific kit back then.  The hardware store in White Church carried them.  But then I discovered the 35 size planes and the Flying Eagles CL club.  The rest is history.  Oh, I found my American Boy kit still in the box with all the components. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 04:28:34 AM »
           Skip, we were hoping John was going to stop by the field on Sunday. Now it all makes sense. We were FREEZING. None of us thought it would've been that cold. I brought only 1/2A's to fly. Big Otto was with us and Shawn and I took a few flights on it. The engine had been dormant for some time and needed a little exercise. It was windy but sunny as could be. I almost put Big Otto in for a dirt nap because the sun was directly in my eyes. I wanted to try my new Stork but the winds put the brakes on that. Ken

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 07:33:58 PM »
I flew with Danny and Dennis on Saturday It was my first time out since my hip replacement.  I took out the old Jetco Dolphin/Fox 35.  I will admit that I was a bit wobbly and got dizzy about 1/2 way thru the tank.....but that didn't stop me from doing 2 of the smallest outside squares ever witnessed!!  In anycase the flying season will be here soon and we'll bust out all of our good stuff!.....Cheers,Skip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:22:06 PM »
Keith the "thing" about Brodaks was the fellowship,the comaraderie. Yes, we all brought our best planes and tried our best to win one of those picture plaques....but it wasn't about that. It was about the fun of playing with our pals. Am I right? When I got back into C/L after 45 years of R/C the guys at the Philly Fliers kept saying,"Skip, you gotta go to Brodaks" I've been going to model contests my entire life.Nothing compared to Brodaks. The memories of crazy stuff that happens during the week.....like getting chased around the circle by my new Shark 45 or getting swarmed by cicadas while doing the "clover"....or actually landing on the carrier deck with engine running on my very first try at carrier flying. Enjoying that great evening feast supplied the Brodaks, Buzz and John.  Going from event to event either as a spectator or competitor. Late night repairs in the motel room while my flying buddy Dennis is writing poetry and prose . The beauty of a religous service and remembering fliers who are no longer with us....Yes Brodaks was somthin' else.....Cheers,Skip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:32:31 PM »
Holy Moses, two hollow log Scientific kits  the F4B and Curtis Hawk just sold for $163 plus shipping .I see I'm not alone with these great little planes.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »
Hey Skip,

You are absolutely right.
The camaraderie at Brodak's
is what made it special.

I know I am not alone. More
than once a competitor helped me
solve a problem that potentially
could have worked against them.
Real sportsmanship.
Classy people.

Cheers! - K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:24:15 PM »
Holy Moses, two hollow log Scientific kits  the F4B and Curtis Hawk just sold for $163 plus shipping .I see I'm not alone with these great little planes.

Amazing.  The last time I bought 'em there were $1.49 for basic and $1.98 for premium kits like the Golden Hawk & Stunt Master.  By the
 time I turned 14 the kids in my hood thought flying 1/2A's was like wearing diapers and obeying your mothers street-crossing limits.

Kid who rode bikes were already building Smoothies and Noblers.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here