News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scarinzi Queen Build  (Read 95002 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Scarinzi Queen Build
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:45:22 AM »
My effort at keeping fun in the hobby as mentioned in the Star Wars thread below.

Taking my time on this and perfecting covering and painting techniques. With apologies to Mr. Scarinzi and to the English language, this model is very "modificationized." The plastic landing gear and remote tank were not part of the original plan. Thinking light lines of 15 to 20 feet might work for the .020 mill.

Dave Mo...

It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Scarinzi Queen Build
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
Very Cute Dave.

I built one a few years ago to decorate my display case with. I never did fly it. I couldn't find lines short enough.  :##
Mine is covered with Japanese Tissue.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
Those are adorable!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:03 PM »
Add flaps for a micro BiSlob! y1 Way cool project, Divot.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
Larry,

Nah, I don't have nothing that cool. This plane is by my cousin DaveMo from up in the badger state. They get snow up there, so that means there's a building season...but from the size of that little guy, it must have been a short winter!

The Actual Divot
"Leaving spinner holes in the ground across SoCal"

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:44:55 AM »
The Union Model Airplane Club, of which Larry Scarinzi was a member, used to put on a demonstration at the yearly Union Panorama. This was a city-wide talent and club-oriented activities display that was held in the auditorium of the Union, New Jersey High School. I was a member of that club from the time I was 5 years old, along with my dad, and early on my brother.

Larry and Red Reinhardt were bigger than life for us young members, and their antics are legendary on the East Coast modeling scene. Red quit flying around 1956, but Larry kept on going strong for many years, and thankfully is still with us. He is still about 17 in his mind, and is still just as zany and unpredictable (in a very good way) as he was in the 1950s.

Larry built the Queen Bee - which, by the way is NOT a 1/2A model; it's a 1/4A ship... - and flew it on stage - indoors - at the Panorama for several years. It was indeed on short lines, but they were long enough to allow Larry to stand at the front edge of the stage and do wing-unders and lazy eights below stage level. The patrons in the front row could be seen sitting back in their seats as far as they could manage to avoid being hit! Us younger members would fly rubber powered ROGs off the stage and we had them trimmed (for the most part) to circle out over the crowd and then come back and land on the stage. Larry flying the Queen Bee on that stage It is one of the most vivid memories of my life. What a great childhood I had!

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
Built mine from the FM pull out plans the month it was published. Flew from the mile high field (Lowry AFB) where I was assigned at the time, it flew great on Dacron lines. Bought a roll (50 feet?), and just cut it in half, so that must have been about 25 feet in length.

The Queen Bee was a perfect match for my very first Pee Wee engine, and flew so slow that a landing gear was never needed.

Built it per plans, with colored tissue and clear dope on the wings. A light coat of Testor's "Insignia Red?" dope on the wood surfaces after a few light coats of clear dope to seal.

Always wanted to build another Queen Bee, but waited way too long to build anything that delicate again.  HB~>

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
Hey gents, nice comments appreciated.

Larry's conflation error on the Divot name with my SoCal "cuz" is understandable. Heck, my mom never could get my brothers' and my name straight!

Little things can really rock. Will post a photo upon completion. Thanks!

DaveMo....

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, it jus looked like a Divot project and I didn’t look closer. :-[

I still think you should add flaps!  ;D

DesignMan

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 02:14:08 AM »
Nice looking model. I started to build one of these once, completed all the sub assemblies, but never put it all together. I still have all the pieces and a TD .010, I am inspired to finish. By the way, plans and article are available on outerzone.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
The latest pics showing the modifications I made to the Queen Bee. These mods are necessary because the chain of causation goes like this: 1) Pee Wee Cox .020 without integral tank, leading to 2) a need for external tank, leading to 3) the bell crank relocation inboard, 4) leading to extended pivot line inboard. Will see if this thing flies and can do a loop or inverted with the little stunt tank feeding the might Cox. Again, apologies to Mr.Scarinzi for hacking a masterpiece beyond recognition.

This ship is as likely to win top design and performance points as it is to be built with flaps. So there ya have it, Larry! Eternally grateful for your suggestion, nonetheless!

Dave Mo

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
You could really make it blasphemous and electrify it!  ;D S?P

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
I Electrified a Vic Smeed "Chubby" (13" span).

I still have it and it did fly (Including a loop).  Now a Hangar Queen. There are certain things which are just frankly better with an IC Engine and this was one of them.  y1

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
Completion of this little bipe is within sight. I've got two questions before the final touches go on:

1) John's "Chubby" has leadout guides at the wingtips. The Queen Bee does not include this feature. Is this something I should be concerned about including on my model?

2) One of the wings has a bit of a bendy/twisty feature to it. Given that the perfect destroys the good, I still might try to remove that problem, depending whether the solution is worse than the disease. I can search the site here for the technique(s), but does anyone here had any success?

DaveMo...

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »
Dave,

I built mine per the plans and article in FM and it flew great!

The line guide was close enough to the wingtips to work perfectly. The Pee Wee was a bit down on power at that altitude and this allowed it to be hovered just by dithering the elevator fast enough to slow it down. By controlling the dither rate I could hover (hanging on the prop), descend, or climb out of the hover! My family and I got a big kick out of that. It would even loop (sort of) but when the fuel ran out it was a light weight brick. Fortunately it was light and sturdy enough to tumble on landing without damage.

Bill

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »
Thanks, Bill. I'll have to give that dithering technique a try (I think I know what you mean). I won't worry about adding leadout guides.

Your comment about the Pee Wee's power caught my attention. I plan to use that very engine and hope to be able to do a loop, but won't be disappointed if it fails. Altitude here is around 900 feet, so maybe a bit more snort on my little motor?

DaveMo...

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
Dave,

Dithering means jiggling the elevator rapidly about neutral by only a few degrees. Easy to see the effect on short lines, and just as easy to determine the rate for hover, drop, or climb all in nose up attitude.

What kind of lines are you planning to use?

I suggest Spectra but I originally used common Dacron back then.

I have 10# Power Pro but it tends to coil up like a scared snake in defensive mode, when cut from the roll. The stuff is woven into a coil and rolled flat when wound onto the spools, so a partner is a must to hold each end until it is cut and stretched initially. You might try a fast setting adhesive to to hold the strands together when tying the knots onto ferrules, or the small slide connectors I use. Slide connectors are not allowed on large planes but I've never had problems on half A and smaller lines. Just be careful to slide the locking part until it actually locks into the gap on one side of the connector.

Knots are limited to the kind that pull up tight and lock in place. The Palemar has never failed for us but others try any knot they think will work and even try CA to fix the knot in place! Bad mistake, because CA hardens and causes stress fractures in the individual strands of Spectra and eventual failure.

Also, be sure your hands and lines are very clean when tying the knots, as any oil will allow the knot to slip with the expected results! A friend tried shortening his lines and forgot about the Castor oil residue on his hands and lines, so a knot slipped and he dunked his airplane. Once pulled tight Spectra will never slip.

There are some very good videos on "Spectra knot tying" on the web and probably found with a search for that exact text.

I used the wire lead out guide shown on the plans that is glued to the inboard wing strut and it worked fine. If you don't coil the loops too tight you can string a flying line into each loop and connect the clip slider directly to the bell crank.

If I recall correctly I used the landing gear for balance but would leave it off if I did it again. A nice grass field will allow it to just settle slowly onto the grass without a gear.

I'll be waiting anxiously for your build and flight reports as I love this little jewel of an airplane and engine.

Bill

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »
Bill:

My apologies for such a late response. Great comments!

I'm of two minds on the lines - .008 solid stainless or #10 Spectra. It sounds like you are recommending line guides between the inboard wingtips. I've got a sturdy strut that'll make that possible. As far as landing gear, I'm kind of stuck with having it. Most of my flying is via stooge, though I'm hoping to spur interest in another guy helping out, post corona time. Landing will be on grass regardless.

As you can tell, this is a slow project. I'm also working on the other end of the size spectrum with an LA 46 powered Twister. It's in the Engine discussions on this forum. Regarding slow progress, I could blame Larry Renger for sending me off on a wild goose chase in his suggestion to install flaps, but that would not be true. Ha!

I've got this thing ready for installing the fuel tank - see the following pic. Will post a photo of the complete project here in the near future.

DaveMo...

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
Any suggestions from the fliers here on whether to install this tank Uniflow or open atmospheric?

DaveMo...

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
Ok, too many lemonades tonight but Sheesh how long are you planning on fly this thing for?

That tank looks like 3 weeks worth of fuel.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
John, that was funny!  LL~

I used the standard Pee Wee tank and that was fine for sport flying. Had I built another I might have considered other tank options for longer runs.

Bill

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 03:19:22 PM »
Well folks, here is a photo gallery of the completed model. With all due respect to Mr. Scarinzi, I should probably call it something else than a Queen Bee (My Little Chickadee perhaps?). Yet I owe him much for the design and the inspiration.

Not flown yet but will report back. It doubtlessly is porkier than the original in spite of my efforts to keep 'er light. Larry R: I went with adjustable leadouts in place of the flaps!

Dave Mo...

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
Looks like a winner to me!👍

DesignMan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 11:30:55 PM »
Moe,

Now that is really sweet! Love the colors and trim scheme. Looks like the styling department did a "way back" tour thru the Cox Pitts biplane production line. Are those Cox landing gear?

What is the restrictor/muffler thing going on here? I don't think I've seen anything like that, although the pictures don't really give away the secret setup....

For lines, did you really mean solid stainless? We fly Mouse racers (.049's) on .010" solids (music wire) and it is a lot more than you will need. Going down to .008 would help with the weight but they are going to get pretty fussy about handling. I'd go with the Spectra unless you already have the stainless and just built the plane as an excuse to use it up.

Stay safe and don't let the hodags catch you in the park after the sun goes down,

The Divot

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:14 AM »
The screen was an early flame suppressor technique.

DesignMan

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
El Maximo Divot

Thanks for the comment on the colors. It's Rustoleum over doctor paper.

Yes, the landing gear is from Cox International. It's black plastic and originally made for some kind of .020 model Cox produced at one time. I did some major surgical work on it to lighten the load.

Yes as Larry mentioned, the screen over the exhaust ports is for fire prevention. This Pee Wee is a product engine from a helicopter, which must have raised heck with some dried grass somewhere back in the day.

No intention to use the stainless lines. I'll take your suggestion either on 10-lb. Spectra or coat thread from the local sewing shop. That particular thread is some serious stuff.

Hodags sporting Covid masks just don't seem that threatening!

Chow for now.

Dave Mo...

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Time for an update on this project. Am running into troubles getting a decent engine run with the little remote tank shown above. I tried mounting it closer to the engine, but to no good effect. The .020 starts well enough, but only runs in sputter mode with the needle quite open. Leaning it out, it barely breaks into 2-stroke mode before it quits from starvation.

I'm thinking that this motor just doesn't like a remote tank in the way I've mounted it. Or, the tank might be bad. Anyone here have any experience with these little motors?

Dave Mo...

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Time for an update on this project. Am running into troubles getting a decent engine run with the little remote tank shown above. I tried mounting it closer to the engine, but to no good effect. The .020 starts well enough, but only runs in sputter mode with the needle quite open. Leaning it out, it barely breaks into 2-stroke mode before it quits from starvation.

I'm thinking that this motor just doesn't like a remote tank in the way I've mounted it. Or, the tank might be bad. Anyone here have any experience with these little motors?

Dave Mo...

A couple things on that 020... those back plates are aged now (aren't we all)  and sometimes have needle issues. Also, the reed could be warped and not sealing. Have you taken it apart, cleaned it and performed the "suck test" to verify your reed is closing?

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
Thanks, Dane. Kind of a mystery. The motor runs well on the test stand.  I took a look inside the tank, and it's OK.
I might just have to find another .020 with a standard tank.

Dave Mo...

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 05:21:24 PM »

The .020 starts well enough, but only runs in sputter mode with the needle quite open. Leaning it out, it barely breaks into 2-stroke mode before it quits from starvation.

Dave Mo...

Might check that there is a good seal between the back plate and the crank case.  You explained that it runs fine on the test stand, but something might be changing that seal when it is mounted on the model.  You can check to see if there is a leak by placing several drops of fuel on the back plate/crankcase and turn the turn the crankshaft several times.  If there is a leak, bubbles will appear.  These things do not run if there is a leak.  Yes, they will start, but that is all.

Keith

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
Jump over to Cox International to pick up a custom backplate for the .020. There are YouTube videos and a write-up on CEF.

It looks like a mini product engine backplate. It will be complete, so it shows up, and you mount the kit!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
Hmm, good suggestion, Keith. Will give that a try.

Jim: Yes, I see that a backplate is available and will give it a go if no luck otherwise.

What I'm hearing from both of you is that this thing should run on a remote tank setup.

Many thanks!

Dave Mo...

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
Hmm, good suggestion, Keith. Will give that a try.

Jim: Yes, I see that a backplate is available and will give it a go if no luck otherwise.

What I'm hearing from both of you is that this thing should run on a remote tank setup.

Many thanks!

Dave Mo...

I have that same engine, and with a remote tank set up it runs great. You may just have a little hiccup somewhere. And by same engine, I mean with the tiny little product engine style back plate. I also have lots of tank type peewee engines. So this group of folks here can definitely get you running

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 08:14:55 PM »
Thanks, Dane.

This motor has a new crankcase gasket and new nylon reed. No leaks at the backplate and crankcase joint, so I did a tear down. The reed valve seems to work using the "suck and blow test" (sorry!). Nothing for comparison, but the intake seems to restricted. The reed seems too ride tight against the venturi opening and rotates very little. I'm suspicious of the circlip or the groove it sits in. The copper/berillium reed acts the same. Might have to take this problem over to the Cox forum. Either that, or Cox International gets a sudden, albeit small, shot of cash from south of their border.

Dave Mo...

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2024, 09:06:11 PM »
Mr. Dave,

Did you ever get to fly this one?

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2024, 02:24:21 PM »
                Dave, depending on year of manufacturing, the circlips were of a different thickness. I've found that the new overhaul kits that Cox International and Ex Models provide is the thicker circlip. If the reed isn't rotating under the circlip, it needs to.

I flew my Queen Bee at Brodak's some time ago and Larry was present. He said it was "Cute". He signed the wing with his Lightning bolt and LS logo. I used 1/32" ply wing struts vs the wire the plans call for. Larry gave me a thumbs up, he really liked it and it really does fly well.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2024, 03:30:01 PM »
944 and Ken:

Nope, no flight yet. Never got a good engine run due (I thought) to fuel feed problems. Never considered the circlip potential problem. Might just have to pull it out of hiding and revisit. Pretty little critter it is.

Dave…

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2024, 09:19:20 AM »
Quality control on the PeeWee .020 was not perfect.  Even Cox didn't win them all.

My first "gas" engine was on my Little Stinker and it didn't have the power to get off the ground.  When replaced with a $3.95 PeeWee from a bubble pack it took off fine and had enough power to let me break the plane.

The engine then  went to a  "Little Gem" built from the plan in Model Airplane News.  Wow! From the plastic nasty to scratch-built in one giant step.  The Little Gem was a profile plane with a pretty good size diamond airfoil and it did stunt.

Paul Smith

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2024, 12:39:06 PM »
Here's my Queen Bee built last summer to celebrate Larry's achievements.  First flown at the NorthBeast Championships.  Flies great on 20 ft spectra.  1.5 oz ready to fly.  I built several when I was a kid.
Jim Vigani

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2024, 04:49:49 PM »
Both of these are quite attractive.

I'm seriously considering this for a backyard flier...barely.

I should say..."barely in the backyard" as the backyard has really limited flying area.

Edited for clarity...barely.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:35:39 PM by 944_Jim »

Online Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2024, 12:41:44 PM »
 :)  Hello Dave!  Seeing your article cause my mind to drift and hear my box or left over wood call out ... "USE ME!  USE ME!"  To which I was unable to disobey!  Sir, this is your fault!  Although it is and has been a marvelous fault!   

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2024, 04:31:06 PM »
Mr. Dave Mo,

I apologize if this has already been considered/checked.

I know the tanked engines will run fairly well with a failed O-ring between the backplate and tank. The o-ring will actually "seal" while the fuel level is above the "intake system."

Once the fuel level drops, extra air is drawn through the o-ring leaning the engine out to the point of "not running." Adding extra fuel to the mixture will fill micro-gaps and tears so the engine runs again.

The next time you have a chance, check that o-ring. Also check the pickup tube placement. The pickup should be in about the 7 or 8 o' clock position when viewed from the front of the engine (as long as you fly counter-clockwise).

I tend to check the pickup position and benchtest the engine with the engine clocked with the glowplug at about 10 or 11 o'clock (so the pickup is dead bottom for the test run) so the engine runs the tank empty.

It may be worth picking up a PeeWee overhaul kit from EXModel Engines or Cox International. If you prefer the 'Bay, both vendors have a 'Bay presence.

Anyway...back to my missives...
I'm thinking of minor visual changes to make my Queen Bee look more like a Pitts Lil Stinker. I won't change moments, nor sweep the top wing. The styling queues would be a canopy instead of an open cockpit, and a paint job that appears very much like the Stinker. I'll paint the area if the fuselage under the wing grey or blue just sonth3 red doesn't go all the way up to the wing.

Edited for clarity re: glowplug
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:20:15 AM by 944_Jim »

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2024, 09:04:59 PM »
I loved reading through this thread! Cute design, right up my alley. We have some snow coming in (shuts down the city), so I printed up the plan and dug out my box of .020’s.

I picked one un-run Peewee and two nice TeeDees. I’ve also got a couple Perfect 1/4oz tanks I can pick from. I’ve run TeeDees for years on many designs, so I’m leaning that direction. I think doing so might also get me slightly longer lines.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2024, 12:38:58 PM »
Man alive did this come alive! Thanks for the compliments and my apologies to Larry for excessive modifications (not recommended) to his original plan.

I wonder if we might have a “happening” here. Six gents chimed in and possibly a seventh if the Divot (Dave Hull) is watching this thread.

On a whim, I picked up a Pee Wee (w/ integral tank) last week. Per 944’s recommendation, I placed a rebuild order to EX. Will give it some bench time after incorporating suggestions by Ken and 944.

Dave Mo…

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2024, 12:44:20 PM »
PS to the above. My model of the Queen shown earlier in this thread turned out to be a hangar queen, albeit a nice one.

Dave Mo…

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2024, 05:54:28 PM »
Ken does mention something worth a double-tap. What you want out of the kit is the o-ring, the gasket, and the fuel pickup tube. It is in your best interest to retain the original reed and C-clip...especially the C-clip.

Be careful if you attempt to use the kit's tank screws. Check them against the old ones to be sure they aren't too long. This has been an intermittent issue for some of the .049 kits.

I'm checking my scrap heap now!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2024, 05:19:34 AM »
              The Mylar reed which is the same shape as the original copper berylium works quite well not too mention is readily available. Once the circlip is in place, I like to rotate it in order to insure it's seated. When I'm satisfied with that, I take a X-acto and carefully nudge the reed underneath in rotation to verify it's not pinched. I then hook a syringe to the venturi and do the suck blow test. Don't just pull off the old hard pick up tubing from the backplate. The fuel nipple on the Pee Wee is very fragile and can break off. Use heat first and this will make the tubing flexible and it will slip right off. Wiggling the old one prior to what I mentioned will immediately snap the barb off.

One important thing I like to verify is the area where the venturi of the tank plugs into the backplate. Inside this area, there's a small hole. This is where the point of the needle is located. Remove the needle and insert a fine piece of wire down through the spraybar and insure it exits the hole I mention. Repeatedly do this as build of crud isn't uncommon here and alcohol can help break up the crap in there. Prior to reinstalling the fuel pickup tubing, insert a modeling pin back through the fuel barb with the needle removed and insure that you can see the pin through the spraybar hole looking down into it.

When doing the suck blow test,  a drop of oil is sometimes needed on the reed which will assist the reed in sealing. If I find it's leaking in anyway, I always flip it over before I try anything else. When the Pee Wee is back together, I pressurize the tank to insure no leaks as well. If air is immediately escaping, check the screws on the backplate, listen at the venturi intake as that is a immediate sign the venturi o-ring isn't sealed. Place a drop of oil on the threads at the top of the backplate where the needle is inserted, this can yield air leaks where the spraybar is pressed into the backplate and also threads themselves. Keep in mind that other leaks can also show their ugliness such as tank to crankcase, screws through the backplate and tank to backplate connection. While some of these might have a moderate impact on engine run, all of them at some point matter and should be resolved.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2024, 07:23:04 AM »
Is this thread about to become a group build topic? I have enough bits and scrap to start mine. It will be slow going as I'm also trying to clean out the hobby closet.

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2024, 10:41:15 AM »
I’ll play Jim. I started cutting this morning.

I used my removable gluestick method with an extra printed set of plans. Makes quick work of cutting the parts.

I'm making 3 small changes.
Teedee power
Remote tank
Small bell crank move Still need to cut some parts for that.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:43:48 AM by Jeremy Chinn »

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2024, 02:58:26 PM »
Needs wing struts, tank mount, pushrod and finishing.

Weighs 44 grams/ 1.5ozs at this point.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here