Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Scarinzi Queen Build

<< < (2/16) > >>

Bob Hunt:
The Union Model Airplane Club, of which Larry Scarinzi was a member, used to put on a demonstration at the yearly Union Panorama. This was a city-wide talent and club-oriented activities display that was held in the auditorium of the Union, New Jersey High School. I was a member of that club from the time I was 5 years old, along with my dad, and early on my brother.

Larry and Red Reinhardt were bigger than life for us young members, and their antics are legendary on the East Coast modeling scene. Red quit flying around 1956, but Larry kept on going strong for many years, and thankfully is still with us. He is still about 17 in his mind, and is still just as zany and unpredictable (in a very good way) as he was in the 1950s.

Larry built the Queen Bee - which, by the way is NOT a 1/2A model; it's a 1/4A ship... - and flew it on stage - indoors - at the Panorama for several years. It was indeed on short lines, but they were long enough to allow Larry to stand at the front edge of the stage and do wing-unders and lazy eights below stage level. The patrons in the front row could be seen sitting back in their seats as far as they could manage to avoid being hit! Us younger members would fly rubber powered ROGs off the stage and we had them trimmed (for the most part) to circle out over the crowd and then come back and land on the stage. Larry flying the Queen Bee on that stage It is one of the most vivid memories of my life. What a great childhood I had!

Later - Bob Hunt

Bill Adair:
Built mine from the FM pull out plans the month it was published. Flew from the mile high field (Lowry AFB) where I was assigned at the time, it flew great on Dacron lines. Bought a roll (50 feet?), and just cut it in half, so that must have been about 25 feet in length.

The Queen Bee was a perfect match for my very first Pee Wee engine, and flew so slow that a landing gear was never needed.

Built it per plans, with colored tissue and clear dope on the wings. A light coat of Testor's "Insignia Red?" dope on the wood surfaces after a few light coats of clear dope to seal.

Always wanted to build another Queen Bee, but waited way too long to build anything that delicate again.  HB~>

Bill

Dave Moritz:
Hey gents, nice comments appreciated.

Larry's conflation error on the Divot name with my SoCal "cuz" is understandable. Heck, my mom never could get my brothers' and my name straight!

Little things can really rock. Will post a photo upon completion. Thanks!

DaveMo....

Larry Renger:
Sorry for the confusion, it jus looked like a Divot project and I didn’t look closer. :-[

I still think you should add flaps!  ;D

john vlna:
Nice looking model. I started to build one of these once, completed all the sub assemblies, but never put it all together. I still have all the pieces and a TD .010, I am inspired to finish. By the way, plans and article are available on outerzone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version