News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:20:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: coroplast  (Read 1410 times)

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
coroplast
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
I am working on my first effort on this material with a 1/2a size model.  Do you have to seal the edges and if so what do you use?  I also need to know if this material is fuel proof?
Bob
ama 5871

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: coroplast
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

Over on the 1/2 A site there are some coroplast models by Larry Renger and some others, might give that section a shot..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
I've built a couple with no fuel issues.  I've cut the LE flute in half and glued small wooed dowel for the LE, but never sealed the ends.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Coroplast is fuel proof. I have built a CL platter with a Norvel .061. I used clear packing tape to close off the edges and as a hinge for the elevator.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Michael Alurac

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 63056 kotrc.org2013-2014 & 2020 President
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
Hi Bob,

Just seal the edges with clear packing tape and you can actually cut the elevator hinge right into the coroplast by carefully opening one of the flutes (channels). I'll show you what I am referring to at the next club meeting. In the case of my ACP-12 Stop Platter I've epoxy glued in bbq skewers into the fluting at the motor mount location and spar to create a reinforced bell crank floor. Take a look at the pic accompanying this post and you might be able to see the hinge detail. This fun little 1/2 A Flyer was inspired by an old union/political sign we made at work with a 12" stop sign printed on it. The silk-screen ink isn't exactly fuel proof but with a complete taping it works perfectly fine.

Mike "Alley" Alurac

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
I recently built an Man-Winn trainer, and it's hilarious, virtually indestructible and suprisingly agile, it'll do inside and outside loops, 8's but it won't hook a corner to save itself.

all I did was exactly as the plans call for, some tape across the LE and that's it.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
The edges can be sealed with some scotch tape all around the perimeter if you want.
Very light and sticks well. Most usually just seal the LE. Sealing will keep all the field dirt out of the flutes.
CA works best for gluing dowels,etc to the LE. For a tougher leading edge I have used duct tape.
I will peel off the needed length and put it onto my glass table top, then cut it down to a smaller width
than the roll size with a razor knife using a ruler guide. The edges of the duct tape can also be sealed with
CA thin so it stays put. I'll put a few drops at one end and hold the wing till it runs to the other wing tip. 
I have tried several ways to make hinges. Simplest is to just cut away one side of the plastic so it
bends easy. Tape also makes a good hinge and gives better motion once a pilot gets good. I have also
used dowels into the flutes as a hinge on different designs of mine ( but this needs washers for a spacer
- I will make those also from the coro ). Cut lightening holes with a hole saw too! Then cover them with tape.
They are a lot of fun to goof around with.
 y1  y1  y1

MAAC 17167

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »
 what I am working on is a donut shape with  Cox Golden Bee mounted in the center as a pusher.  I hope to seal the edges w/tape and just use rattle can rustolium as a finish.  I will have a couple balsa fins/line guide that will need paint.
Bob
ama 5871

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
Pics?
AMA # 2817

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
can't get picture sized to take--Will keep trying
Bob
ama 5871

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
try again
ama 5871

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »
Cool donut!  Keep us posted #^
AMA # 2817

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
That is going to be very difficult to balance! When it is complete, do a "swing test" to get the basic stability established. Tie about 5 ft of string to the leadouts and swing the model around yourself. If it tracks true you are in the ballpark. If it flops around, at least the line is short enough to keep it off the ground.  I always do this test with a new, weird design such as my forward swept flying wings.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here