News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question for Larry Renger  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Question for Larry Renger
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:07:31 AM »
Larry, I was perusing the April 1975 issue of Model Builder in the “From The Handle” control line page.  Jed Kusik mentions reviewing the ME-109 Super Stunter, and ends the paragraph saying that the Cox foam wing panels “make up into a super-performing 1/2A combat wing! Try it.”

Do you have any information about combat designs using the foam wing panels?

Mark

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
Re: Question for Larry Renger
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
Larry, I was perusing the April 1975 issue of Model Builder in the “From The Handle” control line page.  Jed Kusik mentions reviewing the ME-109 Super Stunter, and ends the paragraph saying that the Cox foam wing panels “make up into a super-performing 1/2A combat wing! Try it.”

Do you have any information about combat designs using the foam wing panels?

Mark

Hi Mark, check out Barry Baxter's Controlline plans site that is now owned by Bob Mears.

Barry spent years researching and gathering Combat and sport and stunt plans from the 1950's

to the 1990s. There are many very successful 1/2A Combat designs that use full Foam wings

and (better yet); built up wings that use foam leading edges to snag the streamer strings.

Built up with foam leading edge wings are much lighter than all foam wings.  For Combat

models, the lighter the wing loading, the tighter the model can turn.

I am not sure that the Cox foam wing panels are large enough in wing area to be fashioned

into a good flying performance tuned T.D. .049 powered model.  My 1/2A combat models

were all pushing 200sq"s and they could have been 20sq"s bigger for a better flying model,

with no loss in speed. As an experiment, I built a 270sq" model that weighed 5.2 ozs  ready

to fly sans fuel.  It was capable of 68 mph and would turn 6' diameter loops at that speed;

it had a 12% thick airfoil and was absolutely stable and predictable.   Alas, it was not suitable

for combat because it was fragile and died in combat by being center punched by an opponent

that hadn't realized his streamer killed.  Anyway Mark, enjoy the site and thank Bob Mears for

continuing a great service for vintage and nostalgic control line modelers.   http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

Tony G

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »

Hello again Mark,  I just checked the Controllines site and I noticed a lot of Barry Baxter's  1/2A

Combat designs were not there or were never included.  He had 1/2A versions of His Phoenix

and Doombat designs and he drew up(or reduced) Faubel's Sickel  for 1/2A .  I flew the

stock sized Hoffelt 1/2A Monoboom but preferred an enlarged 200 sq" version using a foam

leading edge instead of his D tube design.  Ask Bob Mears what other 1/2A designs he has

that aren't listed. Bob Mears may scale down some of Baxter's Fast Combat designs to

200-220sq"s. The designs are all on disk so can be plotted any size.  Good Luck;

Tony

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:18:28 AM »
Hi Tony.  Thanks for your replies.  Unfortunately, I'm not looking at making a competitive combat plane.  I'm asking because I just have a thing for the old foam wing panels.  I don't know why, but I just love them.  The nostalgia I guess.  I've rebuilt two ME-109 Super Stunters, and built two planes based on the plans that come with the foam wing panels, one glow and one electric.  I have another stalled project using them that I need to get back to soon.  I still have five or six sets of panels left, and reading the article where it mentions a combat plane, I just wanted to build one for the fun of it.  It'll be a slow flier because I have no reflexes to fly combat, and I'm too old to get into the circle and fight it out.  It'll basically be just a Sport flier for me.  As usual, I'll probably build it, fly it several times, and then hang it up on the wall while I build the next plane.

Thanks Again,
Mark

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:53:51 PM »
As usual, I'll probably build it, fly it several times, and then hang it up on the wall while I build the next plane.

Well, you got me beat Mark. At least yours will likely fly several times before being hung up. Mine usually get built then hung up.....

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »
I actually did propose, design and have a prototype combat wing for the folded foam wings. The Dale Kirn Spook was a much better plane.

Of course, now, the Spook could be easily 3-D printed! Drawings of the parts are available! I would happily buy a set of parts! Name your price!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »
I actually did propose, design and have a prototype combat wing for the folded foam wings.  The Dale Kirn Spook was a much better plane.

Of course, now, the Spook could be easily 3-D printed! Drawings of the parts are available! I would happily buy a set of parts! Name your price!

Do you remember enough of the details so that I could build one? I'd really like to do one.

I also have the drawings somewhere for the Spook that I got from one of the guys over on the CEF.  I never thought about 3D printing them.  I'll ask a guy at work tomorrow about it as he said he has a friend with a 3D printer.

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here