News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: QUEEN BEE FLIGHT REPORT (Phase II)  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Re: QUEEN BEE FLIGHT REPORT (Phase II)
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »
I'm going to try it on my Queen Bee then we can talk a deal. If it flys the Queen Beee well I'll bring it up to your place and let you try it. H^^. Then we can talk a trade S?P
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 08:32:58 AM »
Sounds good, Mike...I'm certain it'll fly the QB, so I'll be expecting you!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »
25mph wind today but will do it real soon.
St Peter MN

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »
Ray,

Got a little more information on balsa fuel tanks over on RCGROUPS, and a link to a method that I hadn't heard about before. These fellows lined their tanks with very thin aluminum foil, for an added level of protection. I don't think that would be necessary with thinned epoxy. The reason I mention thinned epoxy, is that my experiments with epoxy, using 99% Isopropyl alcohol (available at bigger drug stores) to reduce the viscosity,  proved that it stays flexible for years! I had a cast sample around for at least ten years, and it was still flexible the day I threw it away!

http://home.wxs.nl/~wakke007/balsatank/balsa1.htm

OK, keep me in mind for a Queen Bee kit the next time you offer them, but I don't need one anytime soon. I have too many unfinished projects on hand already.  ::)

Robert, Ray,

I've seen those cut away tanks, and actually have a spare tank on hand (thanks to Larry Renger).

What might work as well, would be to cap one of the vents in an existing tank, and use the remaining vent to feed from an external tank (ala chicken hopper style). A balloon tank would work well for this I think, and could be mounted at the CG, above or below the Pee Wee venturi. As I  understand it, only the hopper section has to be on a level with the Pee Wee intake.

Darn, I gave away my LNIB Tee Dee .010 to a friends young son several years ago, along with a NIB Cox Venom, and spare glow heads for both!  HB~> The family went through a divorce shortly after, and when the father moved out of state, the son lost all interest in model airplanes.  ::)

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
Here it is with the .010 on it.
St Peter MN

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »
Now that looks just about right...if you didn't know the scale involved, you'd think it was a nicely sized 1/2A with an .049!

I bet it flies great.  But not in 25 mph wind...

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 08:04:31 AM »
Ray I can't get it to run. It'll run on the prime and stop. I cleaned out the the "carb" twice and the tank leaks. I think I'll try a little sillcone an the tank back to seal it and clean the "carb " one more time. But my patience is wearing THIN.
St Peter MN

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2007, 04:02:55 PM »
Mike, be VERY SURE the venturi ring is open, it's a "spray" venturi and mighty tiny little holes in it.  My TeeDee .020 required my poking through the holes with a thin wire to open them up, and that after soaking in various solvents (you could hardly even see the holes, gotta be even smaller on the .010).  You can maybe check it by backing the needle valve 'way out and squirting fuel through under pressure, it should dribble into the venturi very obviously.  Or if you're using clear fuel line, choke it with the needle 'way rich and you should see the fuel moving in the line. Another possibility, if the tank doesn't seal at the crankcase there will be no suction.

I'm sure you have checked the tank outlet to be sure it's open also. And the vents...

Keep after it!

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »
Did all that  HB~> as for the size of holes I had to get stronger glasses to see %^ them and I don't have a wire small enough to poke in them But they did flow before I tried starting it the last time. But a virus would be big enough to block them. When I first got it some 10-12 years ago it ran just great letting things just set I think does them more harm than when you use them.
St Peter MN

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »
Always true, be it cars, or houses, or model airplane engines! They're intended to be used.  there's some story about an ancient Roman aqueduct in Italy that was still carrying water 20 centuries after it was built...Italian gov't decided to preserve it as a historical artifact, and shut the water off.  It immediately began to fall apart! "Use it or lose it" fits a whole lot more than knowledge, or physical strength. 

If fuel is getting through the spray venturi, but it's still not drawing, there has to be a vacuum leak at the crankcase.  I'd check that seal again, mybe try silicone as you suggested.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
I don't know diddly-squat about .010 engines.  I don't remember whether I've seen one or not.  Even so, being the talkative know-it-all hanger-flyer that I am,  after checking the vacuum leak problem, I'd be sure that the crankshaft bearing surface is well oiled.  Maybe just my weak mindedness but it seems that a loose fit here could contribute to fuel draw problems.  Assuming that the .010 is similar to the .049, make sure that the fuel passage up the middle of the crankshaft is clear of debris.  On my .049 TD I hold the nose down, back the needle out a few rounds, stop up the fuel tank vent and push fuel into the tank with a syringe to flush out the little holes in the venturi.  Make sure that the engine is oriented so that any sludge runs out the venturi and drips onto the ground rather than sliding back into the engine.  Just my uninformed opinion FWIW.  Also, be sure your glow head and battery are OK.   
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here