News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Post Splat action!  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Post Splat action!
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Wednesday, after getting home from destroying my Baby Pathfinder, I pulled a Brodak Baby Clown ARC kit off the shelf.  It is now Saturday afternoon, and here is my progress.  #^

The contest is tomorrow!  ~^

With the added flaps, Wing Area becomes 156 sq.in. and the weight came out just a hair under 8 ounces. The Medallion has a Tee Dee cylinder and piston and Merlin plug and extra cooling retainer. Galbreath precision needle valve. The wing becomes an almost perfect scale down of the Super Clown with the addition of the working flaps!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Post Splat action!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
I like it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
I like the tri-chromatic, asymmetric, post urban sprawl camo......
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
Looks great!  If I didn't have way too many 1/2A planes already, I'd be tempted to order an ARC Baby Clown myself.  Do the flaps make an appreciable difference in how it flies compared to one without flaps?  And, am I correct in that you are using crankcase pressure with the filed down T-nut threaded on the pressure nipple?

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Yes on the turned down T-nut for a pressure fitting. The hose NEVER falls off!  y1

I haven't tuned this plane in yet, but the last one I did, there was a big difference. Both the added wing area and flap action helped.  ;D

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Further flight testing results:

Increasing the control throws got it nearly there. When the engine is on peak, it is pretty close. It might use longer lines than the 38' ones, or perhaps more control throw.

The Medallion does not like the Cox glass filled 6x3, and overheats. I will try an APC 5.7x3 tomorrow. It also might be fuel foaming. Whatever, power isn't reliable, and you can't tune in a plane with iffy power.

The landing gear was way too springy, so there is now a cross wire soldered at about half way down the wires. Also, a tall tailskid was added. When I drop the model onto my workbench it only bounces a little, and stays level.

Picky, picky, picky!  LL~

This model does have the capability of flying a competitive pattern when all rhe gremlins are tossed overboard.

Going flying tomorrow, so more newsas it breaks!

DesignMan

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:22:08 PM »
Just a question on the APC prop.  Years ago I used to love the APC 5.7x3 prop on my Cox engines.  I recently ordered one from APC, but the shaft hole was way too big and had inserts, but neither was small enough for the Cox shaft.  I verified the package didn't say for electric use.  The ones I remember from years ago had no problem fitting the Cox shaft.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
I think that some fuel hose will work as an adapter between the smallest of the rings and your prop screw.

For myself, I own a lathe....   ;D

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
Just a question on the APC prop.  Years ago I used to love the APC 5.7x3 prop on my Cox engines.  I recently ordered one from APC, but the shaft hole was way too big and had inserts, but neither was small enough for the Cox shaft.  I verified the package didn't say for electric use.  The ones I remember from years ago had no problem fitting the Cox shaft.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Mark

Wait until Melvin gets home from the NATS and talk to him.  I think I got some adapters from him for the small APC props.  Otherwise I use brass tubing cut to length of sizes to fill the void.

Forgot to say Melvin at MBS Model Supply.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
I think that some fuel hose will work as an adapter between the smallest of the rings and your prop screw.

For myself, I own a lathe....   ;D

Ditto on the fuel hose.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
The Medallion does not like the Cox glass filled 6x3, and overheats. I will try an APC 5.7x3 tomorrow. It also might be fuel foaming.

I ran my Medallion 049 exclusively on Cox 6-3 grays, it was remarkably good and had no problem with overheating. Use more nitro.

Brett

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
It is amazing how much better the engine runs with the head tightened down.  :-[

Anyway, sneaking uo on the correct trim. Insides and outsides were about equal, but not enough throw. All fixed, going for more testing tomorrow.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here