News:

• April 15, 2024, 10:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pinto 1/2 a  (Read 2106 times)

Offline richardm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Pinto 1/2 a
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:07:09 AM »
 :o so I had a weak moment....or two, I have a TD051 and a pinto 1/2 plan on their way, a bit new to these smaller ones, will run the 051 on 20% nitro, suction or crankcase pressure? ( or is the timed case tapping better?

Anything I need to change or update on the pinto?

All this because I wone a pair of Kustom Kraftmanship 1/2 a wheels on a local auction site

The first $5 was easy
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pinto 1/2 a
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Richard,

I find that is how I get started on a new project, too. One piece catches my attention and before I know it, I am collecting parts that "match the first piece I got."  Like a Cosmic Wind project that started with a really nice 1/2A spinner.....

I run all of my 1/2A stuff on either 25% or 35% nitro mix. It keeps the number of different types down to something manageable. Works good for me on everything from 1/2A flight trainers on reed valve engines up thru Mouse racers, with Medallion and TD motors somewhere in the middle. Low nitro (less than 15%) just makes them harder to start. Be sure your mix has a fair amount of castor in it, but remember that all-castor will tend to varnish up Cox engines and the higher fuel viscosity will make fuel feed on a TD (more) marginal. The only reasons I would go on the low end for nitro is cost, or if I had a marginal tank volume. Run time goes up when nitro percentage goes down. If you get backed into that corner, use a primer bottle with 35% in it, and your life will get easier.

I have tried using a TD on a stunt plane and it did ok, but was finicky with regard to tank position, fuel line diameter, use of timed pressure, and the phase of the moon. The Medallion is more tractable in my opinion, probably mostly due to the different venturi and needle arrangement. I would not bother with the timed pressure port on the side of the inlet housing. That did not work well for me the few times I tried it. Rear crankcase pressure (a la Joe Klause modified backplate) works like any other case pressure system. If you can deal with the pinch-off and routines to avoid flooding, it works fine once running. I am not a fan of in-line check valves on the case pressure line. Too many have gotten stuck or leaked for it to seem worthwhile to me. Therefore, having access to the pressure line would be mandatory in my view. On a full-body plane, you need to bring it out and then route it back in. This line does not need to be large, as the viscosity of air is tiny in comparison to the standard small tubing diameter, the length needed, and miniscule air flow rate. Make an arrangement that is easy to squeeze shut with the hand you normally hold the model when starting.

I would be prepared to experiment a bit. Personally, I would start out trying suction feed. I likely would go down in venturi diameter to improve fuel draw and reduce the power some.

If you are not using the timed pressure port, then make sure it is sealed. On a used engine, someone may have already drilled it out.

I have a Pinto to build one of these days. I think it is a very pretty design, and there are some nice ones around, for sure. My kit was pretty old, and some of the hardware was pretty rusty. I thought some of it was larger/heavier/more rugged than it needed to be, so I will probably down-size some of it. I didn't see much else I couldn't live with just the way it was.

By the way--nice wheels!

Dave
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:06:56 AM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
More nitro is always good! Lol. 20% is fine, start with 3 head shims. See how it runs. Remember, we compete in speed with .049's on 10%. So it can be done! All about the set up.
TD's don't prefer suction. You'd have to choke it down to keep suction strong enough to draw fuel, then they don't like running like that, and it defeats the purpose of having a TD. Regular CC pressure is fine. You could run a bladder too! Let it Rev to the moon, control air speed with the prop.

Edit: I read Dave's reply.... good stuff. We probably run our 1/2a's the same anyway.
I'm just saying if all you have is access to 20%, it can be done. If you gotta but fuel, buy 1/2a fuel

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
        I have a Pinto that I built from a RSM kit . Power is a Cox Medallion .049 that runs great on 25% nitro .
   Pinto flys very well and is a competitive stunter . Build it carefully and you will have a lot of fun flying it !
                   Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »

Mr Barber, I just sent you a P/M   thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:35 PM »
Aledgedly theure a scaled down Oriental , for what its worth .

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
It is not only a scaled down Oriental, the model was neither designed nor built by Dick Mathis! He was given it by Dee Rice and then pirated it as his own. Yes, he finished it and published it, but it should be the Baby Oriental.

Btw, RSM can make you a replica kit of the profile Baby Oriental. I have one!  #^ yes, it is classic legal.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
Maybe Fast Richard found the Pinto design in the swamp when he was looking for a freeflight?

I wonder if the Oriental influenced the Excaliber? I don't know the dates for either....

Love the look of the Excaliber. Gotta build mine soon!

Dave

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:55:48 PM »
I've been flying a Pinto for a couple of years now with a TD .051.It flies great but if I was to build another one I'd not build it with the flaps.I don't think it needs them.Just my opinion. Skip

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here