News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:57:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Props for Medallion .049  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Props for Medallion .049
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
in the last few days I've been flying a Rick (Dick's son) Sarpolus Bonanza I built a couple of years ago.  I'm using my very thirsty Medallion .049.  It runs about 2 minutes 10 to 20 seconds on 3/4 ounces of fuel.  I have a tank of 1.25 ounces on the way.

It has been a blast.  With a grey Cox 6 x 3 it pulled through loops pretty well, but on one flight the lines went slack while up high and tangled and crashed and the grey prop broke.  I only have one of those props left.  I switched to a Cox black nylon 6 x 3 and it doesn't seem to give as much thrust as the grey prop. 

Anyway, what's the best stunt prop that is still available for a Medallion .049.  I couldn't find the answer after doing a search here.

Also, I'm using a regular Cox glow plug.  Does the Medallion run better for stunt with the high compression Cox glow head?

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Props for Medallion .049
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
if u are running low nitro (10-20%) the hi comp head should help.. APC makes a line of 5.5/2 or 3 and 6/2,or 3 pitch props .u can order right from them
rad racer

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion on props and the lead on props, and getting them direct from APC.  Hopefully APC won't charge $13.95 for shipping and handling.

I've got a little Cox fuel left that I bought from Tower Hobbies a few years ago, and I've got a quart of Sig Champion both fuels are 25% nitro, 10% synthetic and 10% castor.  With four flips of choke she starts up on the second or third flip.  Lovely!

Regards,
Joe Ed

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »
The 6-3 prop is a good sport prop for the single-bypass reed valve engines, but it doesn't extract the best power.

I don't have experience with the TD or Medallion, but a hot reedie with a dual-bypass cylinder runs much better on a smaller prop than a 6-3.  I was getting a pretty good approximation of a very short stunt run with a dual-bypass cylinder on a Golden Bee tank and an APC 6-2.  With that combination you seem to get some nice speed regulation, and man oh man, do you get acceleration off the line on launch!

The APC 5-1/2 x 3 prop on that same engine makes the plane go like a bat out of hell -- which would be good for racing or free flight or such, but not so much for stunt.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the input Tim,

I ordered a couple of each of APC's  6 x 3, 6 x2, 5.5 x 2.5, and 5.7 x 3 props.  I ordered them directly from APC.  They list them as free flight props for .049s.  Shipping was a very reasonable $3.52.

That should give me a pretty good variety of props to try.

Joe Ed Pederson

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
         I never successfully had a APC 2 pitch prop work well for a Cox engine. I find them to over rev and beat air with no drive. They work terrific for Norvel engines. I rarely use a 6" diameter prop for stunt as I feel it loads the engine too much in the maneuvers. I prefer the APC 5x3's because the narrow blades allow a little more slip and not as much of a load. The Cox 5x3 works equally as well. Unless your familiar, the APC props are not going to be a direct fit to the Cox 5-40 screw. Your going to need to bush the APC prop with tubing be it metal or fuel tubing. The Cox Medallion has a little more grunt over a standard Babe Bee therefore the 6" prop is more than likely working well. A high comp head will offer a few hundred more rpm's and it was common to see them on Medallions. The Cox grey 6x3's are still available and cost $3.95. Don't forget that Master Airscrew also has a few 5" and 6" prop choices.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Thanks for the input Kenneth.

I have done business with one of the sources of the Cox parts in the past and didn't realize until I went to the other source of Cox parts that there are some items on one source that aren't available on the other.  I assumed they both had access to the same parts.

The good thing is that one has a few things the other doesn't have.  The bad thing is I have to place orders with two separate companies, and neither has the 5" or 6" Master Airscrew props, although one has a Top Flite wood 6 x 3.

Joe Ed

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »
I liked the black flexible Cox 5x4 on the Medallion flying a Baby Clown. Good thrust everywhere, but you don't want it leaned out completely or it'll be going pretty good, unless you feel the need to test your reflexes....

When I ran out of those, I tried an APC 5.5x2, perhaps on the recommendation of Larry Renger? I wasn't impressed. Then I let Larry launch for me and he reset the needle. Hmmm, goes pretty good and unloads the engine nicely. The engine just runs faster than the rubber ducky setup. Plane still goes fine.

I think the Medallion is very forgiving and you can be successful with a wide range of setups, unless you have a large or porky airplane. Then you are going to have to work hard to match up your max power with the desired airspeed. The Baby Clown leaves plenty of power margin to find a happy place.

Divot McSlow

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
Thanks for the input, Mr. Divot.

I just planted my VERY overweight Sig Akromaster the other day and it didn't even break the Master Airscrew carbon reinforced prop.  Even though it didn't break, the prop is going in the trash.

Maybe I should adopt your nickname of "Divot."  I certainly make plenty of divots myself.

Joe Ed

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the input, Mr. Divot.

I just planted my VERY overweight Sig Akromaster the other day and it didn't even break the Master Airscrew carbon reinforced prop.  Even though it didn't break, the prop is going in the trash.

Maybe I should adopt your nickname of "Divot."  I certainly make plenty of divots myself.

Joe Ed

When I was spending a lot of time planting propeller fragments in a 60' diameter circle, I liked to imagine future archaeologists puzzling over the deep religious meaning of it all -- why small sticks broken off at one end and shaped like that, and why in such a tidy circular pattern?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
Timmer,

You don't think the very first forays into flight and control line occurred here in the USA, do you? There is archeological proof that the first attempts occurred near Wiltshire, England. Unfortunately, using the materials of the times (ie. stone) the propellers were prone to crack and embed themselves into the ground. They were working on refining the shapes I'm sure, but lugging higher quality stone for endless miles just so's they could get away from all the HOA rules was a drag...literally. But back then it was truly a Manly Sport.

Joe,

One of my nieces, when she was just a toddler, had trouble with my name. But she loved to play cars, cooking, and generally anything else she thought was a good time. Since I like to play at all that stuff too, we got along pretty good. The best she could do with my name at the time was "Uncle Divot."  However, through the eyes of a child, sometimes the truth of things is revealed, even though see hasn't seen me fly--yet. I did teach her a bit about flying a kite, which she dearly loved.

David "Divot" McSlow

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »

Joe,

One of my nieces, when she was just a toddler, had trouble with my name. But she loved to play cars, cooking, and generally anything else she thought was a good time. Since I like to play at all that stuff too, we got along pretty good. The best she could do with my name at the time was "Uncle Divot."  However, through the eyes of a child, sometimes the truth of things is revealed, even though see hasn't seen me fly--yet. I did teach her a bit about flying a kite, which she dearly loved.

David "Divot" McSlow

You gotta love toddler mispronunciations.   We still call the food cooler the "frig i frator."   And one of our grandson's version of "I love you," was "I la lou," and that same grandson called a girl name "Lidia" "Lady La."

Joe Ed

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here