News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pinewood Trainer  (Read 607 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Pinewood Trainer
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
I saw this plane in my brother’s shop a few weeks ago. Dad made it when we were kids. We had a lil satan that after a few attempted flights was almost as much patch as plane. We had busted a sheet wing piper cub and a swordsman. Along the way we got a wizard. It suffered some minor crash damage and caught on fire one cold afternoon when we decided to use a plumbing torch as a preheater for the engine. Hey, we were kids with access to a garage full of tools and not too much supervision. The wizard survived and over a hay meadow with tall grass we both really learned to fly.  Dad was kinda cheap and I guess he got tired of the carnage and decided we needed an indestructible airplane. Dad was an excellent wood craftsman and made much of his living as a carpenter/cabinet maker. He decided the wood of choice was pine. He built a beautiful little airplane, fastened on a baby bee and left it with us. We fired it up, let it go, and watched it go round and round on the ground till the prop hit something. Neither of us wanted to tell dad it wouldn’t fly. A few days later we swapped on a borrowed black widow and enjoyed some round and round low and level flights. It was fun seeing it again.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here