News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perfect fuel tank and Tee Dee 049  (Read 1405 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Perfect fuel tank and Tee Dee 049
« on: October 11, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
Hi all. I did a search of the title but nothing turned up that I could use. Anyway, I have a Perfect aluminum tank with the engine feed tube coming out the top. It looks like the one in the picture only smaller. I want to use it on a small 1/2a plane with a beam mounted Tee Dee 049. I have never tried this set up and looking for anyone that has, and can let me know if it is suitable for stunt flying? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:06:51 AM by kevin king »

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Perfect fuel tank and Tee Dee 049
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:21:01 AM »
That Tee Dee will need pressurized fuel. Do you have a tapped backplate? I would back-pedal from drilling the nipple.
If this is going on a profile, I'd say jig it up on the bench and try it.
Either way, try running the pressure to either vent, and plug the other.

I did a similar thing on my Scientific P-40. That was an AP .061 with venturi, and a 2/3 ounce tin tank with muffler pressure. The engine ran pretty much the same when pressurized from either vent.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/scientific-24'-p-40/?action=dlattach;attach=288728

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 07:16:28 AM »

I have been using the venturi from Medallion .049 engines on my T D engines as they will draw fuel and run like i want them to do, hope that this helps..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 07:04:03 PM »
            Pressure isn't needed for a TD to stunt or using a wedge tank. Understanding the TD is key. You need to mount the engine inline with the exit of the pickup. This is can be obtained by shimming the engine off of the fuse with aluminum under the engine lugs or even using offset thrust wedges to offset the engine outboard which also places the venturi nipple more inline with the pickup. Ideally using a TD it's best to use a narrow but longer tank. Wedge tanks place the fuel load to far outboard which puts the engine into a lean condition and maneuvering makes this worse.

You can also cut out the doublers and fuse and insert the wedge from the inboard side of the plane to the outboard side. Rather than have the entire tank mounted on the outboard side of the fuse this has the pickup outside of the centerline too much so by doing the above your making it inline which may require you to shim the tank not only horizontally but vertically also if you have the room to do so. This works similar to a inboard mounted tank whereas you need to launch lean and it will richen up due to centrifugal force.

Keep in mind Perfect tanks are not Perfect. They never soldered the pickup tube internally to the inside of the tank, the tubing is typically too small and the tubing can also be split inside even when new in the box. Taking the back off and insuring no leaks and everything is soldered properly is key to insuring that the tank is going to work properly. Many times when the tubing is coming out of the top, they just pushed the tubing into the tank until it hit the bottom. This now has the pickup in the incorrect portion of the tank. This is why it's best to remove the back and do what's needed to make it work correctly. This will automatically have your tank height adjustment off.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I will continue with the tank placed behind and level with the motor, and if I can't get that to work, I will remove the tank and install an aluminum canister for a bladder.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Like Kenneth said, long skinny tank. I had best result with a long 3/4 ounce tank embedded into the profile fuselage. 
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
I have had good luck with a balloon tank.  The only problem is the fuel/oil will eat the balloon with time.  You have to replace it every so often.  Easier to start than a bladder and no air bubbles. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
Hello Kevin,

This is a link to my TD powered Focke-Wulf
where the community discussed stunting with
a TD.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/focke-wulf-190d-stunter-build/