News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pat King Combat Kitten  (Read 1603 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pat King Combat Kitten
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
Posted in combat section but figured post here as well since it is 1/2a.

First time ever trying to dope and tissue a model and quite pleased with my results for never trying this before.

Power will be a Black Widow with 6/3 prop
Paint will either be Rustoleum or Tamiya Model Acrylic.  Whichever I choose, will clear coat with Spraymax 2k Clear Rattlecan.

Going to try to start covering the Voodoo Child tonight if time allows. The kit is from Vintage Performance Model Airplanes. I can provide contact info if desired. Nice selection of lazer cut kits and arfs. Price on the 1/2a's are tough to beat!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Pat King Combat Kitten
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »
             The problem is that they're very susceptible to getting torn up from even grass. I no longer use silkspan to cover 1/2A's, too much of a pain in the rear fixing them. I use Phil's SLC covering which is much more puncture and tear resistant.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
Get your flying buddy to catch them. After the engine quits, whip it back to the launch area. The helper stands inside the arc of the plane, catches the lines and lets the plane swing around him. Doesn't even have to touch the ground. No dirt from gopher mounds goes into the intake or the bearings. No messed up props. No punctures in the covering. Just carry it back to the pit area and put it in the rack while the next guy flies..... or at least that is how the combat guys out here do it!

If you are just learning this, I'd use a glove on the lines catching hand. I'd try to catch it about 3 feet from the wingtip, so when it swings around, you can keep it out of the dirt.

Or you could use the SLC as suggested. I used Coverlite on my Little Satan, and the only holes so far have come from transportation damage in the carry-all rack. No dope required, it is fuel proof.

Divot McSlow

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
If you want the silk span look, just adhere the silk span only doping the edges where it contacts wood.   Shrink it tight and then cover with SLC.  I think it comes out lighter covering this way and is much stronger. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
Looks very good there. In fact, much better than my first attempt at silkspan, and even better than my last attempt!  ;D

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
More pics, more pics!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
If you want the silk span look, just adhere the silk span only doping the edges where it contacts wood.   Shrink it tight and then cover with SLC.  I think it comes out lighter covering this way and is much stronger. D>K

Works for me, been doing it for years now. Light weight film, be it Phil’s SLC or park flyer film over any type of tissue makes a light, tough covering. I expect you could even use gift wrapping tissue as a base, as long as you never get it wet before applying the film over it. The key concept is the combination of fiber and film to create a composite material. If you want a painted finish, wet sand the film and it is ready for base color. No filler needed.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »

James, what kind of covering did you use? Doctor paper, or something else?  I used some dr paper on a left over Twister wing and double covered it, it came out better than I expected it too.
 Don't know if you saw it at the practice session before the contest or not, but come by and Ill show you what  it looks like...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
  James, what kind of covering did you use? Doctor paper, or something else?  I used some dr paper on a left over Twister wing and double covered it, it came out better than I expected it too.
 Don't know if you saw it at the practice session before the contest or not, but come by and Ill show you what  it looks like...
Yep i seen it. I used Brodak Lite silkspan on it. I had it at tge field last friday but couildnt get that black widow going. Ordered a tank overhaul kit from cox to put all new internals on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here