News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One of my "Other Projects"  (Read 3532 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
One of my "Other Projects"
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:28 PM »
Recently completed: A new LilGeo.  You like?  25" span, full flaps, profile. 

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: One of my "Other Projects"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
I like it, Ray.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
I don't recognize the engine Ray. What do it be? That rib pattern looks like fun to build.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
The engine is one of my VAs.  Rear exhaust.  A hot little engine.  Won't keep up with the Foras, etc., I don't think, but it easily outdoes the Norvel .049s.  Propped just right, it might keep up with the .061s--it comes close.

The rib pattern really is fun to build--not nearly as hard as it looks.  They interlock, so it's kinda like doing a jigsaw puzzle.  And totally warp-resistant. 5 oz. ready to fly.  Available at--no, no, this isn't an ad.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »
o.k. Ray I'll bite. How much?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:57:10 PM »
HEH HEH HEH...Actually it's on my website.  Only that one's yellow...of course.  $30.  Tell me you want two, and you'll marshall an army to buy a kazillion more.  Or don't.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
HEH HEH HEH...Actually it's on my website.  Only that one's yellow...of course.  $30.  Tell me you want two, and you'll marshall an army to buy a kazillion more.  Or don't.

--Ray

Man it's tempting Ray...Let's get through our Arrows and go from there. The way things are going with our builds we'd need more threads and hired help to get it all done.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 05:23:43 AM »
I agree completely...I don't need any more projects.  I already had to build a plant stand for wifeyin the interim, good thing the Fierce Arrow project is delayed.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 05:32:03 AM »
I agree completely...I don't need any more projects.  I already had to build a plant stand for wifeyin the interim, good thing the Fierce Arrow project is delayed.

--Ray

I thought you might agree Ray..........BUT!!.........when the Arrow is done I'd really like to do another project....I'm getting a real strong sense of connectivity with all this and it feels really good.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 05:40:42 AM »
Yup, we'll have to be thinking about a proper subject, in the back(s) of our mind(s).
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
About 6 weeks back I'd guess.---Of course there will be lots of test flying and trim work to be done. It's cold and windy right now but soon we'll be in flying season again and all of our little airplanes will present new problems of engine run and trim. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................are we having fun yet?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 09:22:10 AM »
all of our little airplanes will present new problems of engine run and trim. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................are we having fun yet?
I agree Frank. Getting those .020s to run decently will be the order of the day!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »
We're pros we can do it!!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »
The engine is one of my VAs.  Rear exhaust.  A hot little engine.  Won't keep up with the Foras, etc., I don't think, but it easily outdoes the Norvel .049s.  Propped just right, it might keep up with the .061s--it comes close.

The rib pattern really is fun to build--not nearly as hard as it looks.  They interlock, so it's kinda like doing a jigsaw puzzle.  And totally warp-resistant. 5 oz. ready to fly.  Available at--no, no, this isn't an ad.

--Ray
Excuse my ignorance Ray, but what is a VA? I dont think I've ever heard of one??
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »
I agree Frank. Getting those .020s to run decently will be the order of the day!
I've got a few of them [10] 3 are still new in the blister pack
Suprisingly simple to run if everything is clean and tight.  The secret is 25% nitro, heck if you have 40% put it in and it will love it.
I have a Sterling Auto Magic Monocoupe with one on and I've put a motor on with a drilled tank so I could hook it up to a bigger tank to get more flying time. you do know that you could  probably run it on straight nitro and oil with a little propoline oxide and a Cox grey 4/2 and make enough noise to have your ears bleed.
All kidding aside don't waste your time with 10/15% nitro, it runs but not well.
I scored a good supply of parts including 2 dozen plugs for the critters so I'm in good enough shape to fly these till I'm nothing but a distant memory.
Dennis

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »
I run my VAs on 15%, bladder pressure, and they do pretty well.  I guess I oughtta pick up some higher nitro just to see what they're really capable of.  Surprisingly, for a relatively high-performance engine, they hand-start easily.  They love high rpms and they're loud.  They weigh about 2 oz., same as Norvels, BWs, etc.; fairly thirsty (power has to come from somewhere) and rear exhaust, kind of a problem on profiles with a tank sitting behind. 

Beyond that, I can't tell you much more about them. I don't know where they're made.  Picked mine up in a package deal from another guy. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
I run my VAs on 15%, bladder pressure, and they do pretty well.  I guess I oughtta pick up some higher nitro just to see what they're really capable of.  Surprisingly, for a relatively high-performance engine, they hand-start easily.  They love high rpms and they're loud.  They weigh about 2 oz., same as Norvels, BWs, etc.; fairly thirsty (power has to come from somewhere) and rear exhaust, kind of a problem on profiles with a tank sitting behind. 

Beyond that, I can't tell you much more about them. I don't know where they're made.  Picked mine up in a package deal from another guy. 

--Ray

The VA's were made in Russia,
 The first series was introduced by Dan Rutherford and was quite a good seller. This is the model with the split case and the roll your  own timing option. The second version was handled by larry Driskoll. From what I understand all production has ceased. Pity they were nice motors.I have a few but haven't run them in a long time.
Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here