News:

• June 17, 2024, 12:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O K Cub 049 A  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
O K Cub 049 A
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »

A friend gave me a new Cub 049 a and I don't want to ruin it, so what fuel should I run in it? All castor, what percent castor, nitro, what sort of engine R P M and what size prop, how much run time to break it in??

Any other info that will help...         Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: O K Cub 049 A
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
The old OK Cub .049A was my second engine.  The first was a Cox Thimble Drome .049.   I could use the short reach plugs in the Cub and for me started a lot easier.  Fuel at the time was Testors 39 and later K&B 100.   Prop was Kayson 6-3 or 6-4 when the shop was out of the 6-3.Used that combo on a lot of the Scientific kits.   My favorite was the American Boy.  Back then I flew in my back yard with Daycron lines about 20 foot long.  Finally got out to 35 foot cable .008.   Don't remember rpm as I never checked it.  Still have the engine some where in my stash.   When they cane out with new Cub .049A a few years ago I bought two if them.  What a waste of money as I never did get either one to run.  They would pop and have short bursts of running, but not long enough to even think about flying.   I went through the changing plugs, fuel and props.   Even remove the insert on one of them that was in the intake.   Yes they would draw fuel if choked.  I finally gave them to someonme who thought he could make them run.  Never heard from him again.  Hope yours work.  But as Ty says make sure you have castor in the fuel.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
A friend gave me a new Cub 049 a and I don't want to ruin it, so what fuel should I run in it? All castor, what percent castor, nitro, what sort of engine R P M and what size prop, how much run time to break it in??

Gil,
You'll need at least 65% nitro. Probably all synthetic. And a big prop. Maybe an 11x6......
Oh! I see the chief beat me to it!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »

A prop between 5x3 and 6x3. I have run them on 5% nitro but they needle much better with 15%-25%. Since they are low compression engines they like a little more nitro. Lube should have some (or all) castor and be in the 20%-22% range. I broke mine in with several two minute runs followed by complete cool-down (heat cycles).

My newer Cubs have a needle with very little taper. They go from slobbering rich to full lean in less than a turn. I added additional taper with a file. Works fine.

As mentioned these engines were designed in the early fifties so don't expect a lot of power. One of the "hollow log" kits or something with about 18" span should fly. I like Cubs. 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
I run mine on 15% nitro and 18% oil part castor part synthetic. I run it rich enough to have oil puddling a little. Several runs on a test stand. Stays cool enough to touch except for the upper cylinder and head. No issues so far.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline okcub2015

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »
John i bought several new OK engines 049 and 06 and had the same result. Couldnt get them to run
properly.

Bruce

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:42:03 AM »
John i bought several new OK engines 049 and 06 and had the same result. Couldnt get them to run
properly.

Bruce

Bruce, you might want to ensure they run off a prime first. If so, check the needles to see if they are very blunt. If so, adding taper to the needles will make them more adjustable. I have never had an OK engine that would not run.

For those of us who have bought OK engines long after they went out of production, are you familiar with the OK .049C. That is a .049B engine connected to an .049A tank by means of a metal plate.

The Cub in the lower left is an .049A and the one above it is an .049C. The .049C was never in the production runs.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline okcub2015

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:04:15 AM »
Ok i will try that, thanks George

Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags: