News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvell .074 break in ?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Norvell .074 break in ?
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
Familiar with the recommended procedure, but have a question about fuel.  Will eventually use 25% nitro for flying, but any issues with doing break in with 10% instead ?
Also see a turbo plug option on NV site, what's advantage of that ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Norvell .074 break in ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
Break it in with the fuel you are going to use.   From experience when you increase nitro it means more break in.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
Allen

Admittedly I have no  NV .074s but a LOT of .049 and .061s

I resisted to common recommendation to cold spin them first but did significantly pre heat the head before first run

The factory head adapter uses a common glow plug while the Turbo adapter allows use of the Car turbo plug that seals at the base vs the top copper gasket for a standard glow plug.... there is some belief that the turbo seal is superior, has less leak into the threads, and yields a higher combustion pressure resulting in higher RPM

I have no experience with that Turbo adapter BUT will claim...for a fact ...the Galbreath adapter for the .049/.061 using a Nelson plug (that also seals at the seat instead of the gasket) does indeed in crease RPM

My guess it that the Turbo may be a good thing IF you accept the cost and find the right heat range turbo plugs

MY NVs did not need a LOT of fuel to break in but I am a Heat Cycle guy.... I just run until they hold a needle and can be reliably started cold (on the bench).... I had excess 15% N fule and is what I used but for flight was up on the 25% stuff

I personally think if you want to do it with 10% all will be just fine.... as long as you fire it and get it nice and hot... IE not much if any way rich cool running

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »
Fuel recommendation from the Norvell site:
Use the proper oil mixture. Requirements - minimum 18-22% oil in the fuel with  
50% being Castor oil in engines smaller than .15 and at least 25% castor in larger
motors. If mixing fuel yourself, allow it to settle for a week before use."

Anyone know the reason for that settle thing with mixing your own fuel ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »
Allen... sorry brother.... but I find all sorts of hooey out there

I swear---- I had to really NOT respond on RC Groups ---when I disputed the Proper sequence for mixing Methanol, Nitro, UCON LB 625, and Castor....in MY experience, mixing the Common components that all dissolve properly it makes no diff... Now this is for common blends, without ultra high 45% and higher, Nitro needing other additives

So to your question...and the common wisdom of Always shaking the snot out of a gallon and then using (ALWAYS filtered)

The recommendation makes no sense to me ...I want ALL the components to be equally homogeneous in the mixture I put in the tank....MINUS any crap.... Pure components do NOT (or should not) have any crap

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here