News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AP Wasp .061 glow plugs ?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
AP Wasp .061 glow plugs ?
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »
Hi ,

I recently purchased an AP Wasp .061 from RSM Dist. , but noticed that they don't list glow plugs for the engine ...

I live in Canada , so my sources are next to none for these plugs .

Anyone know(a reputable dealer) where I can on-line shop for these glow pugs , or should I go directly to AP Engines , in California  ?

Thanks ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: AP Wasp .061 glow plugs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
Rob, check out Merlin glow plugs on the web.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Rob,

AP cloned the early Norvels, and the glow plug is smaller than the later Norvel XL plugs. If you go with Merlin, be sure the correct head clamp is included. I think they have a combo deal with clamp, and three plugs, at a reasonable price.

The other alternative is to order one of the Norvel heads for XL plugs from Seldon's Hobbies in California. They still have some at $3.99 US each. Then you can use Merlin, Norvel, or MECOA plugs, and two of those are cheaper than the AP plugs.

The third option is to buy a Galbreath head, with Nelson plugs. I'm told the Nelson plugs last almost forever, and produce a gain in RPM. You may need more head shims with the high compression Galbreath heads.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »
Thanks fellows ,

I will check out all the options and see what is most suitable .

I saw on one website , the AP plugs for $9.99 each ... OUCH !

Thanks again ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:31:05 AM »
The head threads of the Ap Wasp are the same as Cox and Norvel.  Any head or plug that will fit them will also fit the AP.  I have standardized on the Merlin plug and retainer.  Cheap and very effective.  On some engines, you may need an extra head gasket.  If you are running high nitro, that is a given.

My setup is the AP Wasp, Holuszko venturi, Merlin plug, APC 5.5x2.5 prop, and 10,11,11 fuel.  Rpm on the ground is around 21K.  Lap times on 46' lines is 4.5 seconds.  With either a uniflo hard tank (best) or floppy balloon tank, I can do the pattern on 3/4 ounce (25cc) of fuel.  The Sky Sport has a 180 sq.in. wing and weighs 9.5 ounces.

Antone Kephart runs backplate pressure and 25% Nitro.  He uses an APC 6x2 prop, turning about 23K on the ground.  His model is a Baby Magician with 230 sq.in area.  Lap times are at 5 seconds on 50' lines.  He has a harder time getting perfect runs due to the more critical setup.  When it all works, he is unbeatable.  (Except, perhaps by Stan Tyler's twin Flite Streak with Medallion .049s, but he has even more trouble with reliability)

Give me reliable power, and I will design or select a plane to suit!  I don't need the hassle of variable engine runs.  My old motto for 1/2A competition was " He who gets a good engine run wins!"  That has proven to be true, even now that we have a pretty good handle on small engines.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here