News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Testors .049?  (Read 2862 times)

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Testors .049?
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:24:19 AM »
I recently recieved a Testors .049 with the built on white tanks on the rear ( thanks Dalton ). Its a lil gummy as the spring doesnt spin it fast cause it obviously needs to be clean.

I havent the slightest idea on how to break it down completely to clean it. I hear they are not good runners but I would like to clean it up and have a go with it on a old school design profile.

Even has original Paddle style prop. Neat lil engine.

ANyone know where I could locate a manual or pics on how to tear it down?

For some reason Old school Engines like this intrigue me. Gladly taking donations of old .049's that will never run again LOL

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Testors .049?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:59:15 AM »
Jamie, sometime you can use fuel to clear the "gum" out. The gum is probably castor thas has congeled in the engine.
  Maybe some of the more knowledgeable guy's will chime in also.
  The reason that I recomend fuel is that it will not cause problems in the engine.
  Good luck, #^ #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »
I have done that with other cox engines with some decent results.

Hell I cant even figure how to even fuel this engine LOL

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
Or swish it around in isopropyl alchohol.

If you have a good selection of Cox wrenches you may have one that fits the cylinder and/or head.  Take the head off and drip stuff in the cylinder to try to free it.  If you're feeling brave and have a wrench that fits the cylinder well you can take the cylinder off and scrub it -- usually those castor build-ups are worst in the cylinder.  You have to feel brave, because the cylinder of the Testors engines isn't nearly as hard as the Cox -- I'm always afraid I'm going to put a burr in the cylinder right at the exhaust port, although I haven't yet.

You want to save the engine at any rate -- the case and crank is different, but as far as I can tell the cylinder and piston/rod assembly fits the older crankcases just fine (and no, I haven't actually swapped one in to know if I'm right).

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »
Hi Jamie,

If it is like the ones I have, looking from the front of the engine, there is a little square "cap" on the right hand side of the tank near the needle that is the fuel filler.

I would do as suggested, flood the engine with some solvent, including the "spring", and free it up that way.  An air tool oil "chaser" is recommended. :D  Some type of "puller" will be needed to remove the "starter assembly", IIRC, but the rest of the engine disassembles similar to the various Cox engines.

They do not possess the power of the Cox .049s, but will fly a 1/2A just fine.  Aaron's first balsa 1/2A was a Sterling Beginner Zero/Testors .049 "Combo" we bought at AHC during a trip to NYC! LOL!!  And it flew good, still does!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
...Hell I cant even figure how to even fuel this engine LOL
Jamie,
The engine mounts with the cylinder pointing outboard. There is a fill hole on the inboard corner of the tank. It may be covered with a plastic cap. There are no screws for disassembly, you just pop it apart...be careful of the alighnment pin on the tank. As mentioned, I would just flush it with some alcohol or fuel and leave it assembled.

Some are good runners, when properly broken in, power about that of a Sure Start. Plugs are scarce. You may need a conversion head if it's blown.

BTW, when NIB they were mounted bottom up.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »
Thanks for the picture, George, as it's said "Worth a thousand words"!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
The one thing that strikes me every time I see one of those Testor's reed valve engines is just how butt-ugly they are.  What was Testor's thinking?  At least the Cox reedies look like real engines -- those Testors things look like a chuck of pot metal with a cylinder and a prop drive.  I think the Testor's/McCoy/Wen-Mac front-valve engines look better than the Cox reedies -- but Testor's sure wasn't paying attention to aesthetics when they made their reed valve engine!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
The Wen-Mac / McCoy / Testor front intake motors are O.K. They do like nitro- 25 % works pretty good. They would probably run alright on some of the R/C car race fuel.  I have a pair of scaled down .15 size plane Zero / Bearcat from some magazine circa 1985. Flew them both with Testors .049. - had a lot of fun.

I've been using Valvoline carb and Throttle Body cleaner spray to de-gum / free up a bunch of 1/2as. Get big cans at Advance / Discount Auto for $3-4.00. You would have to check the compatability to the plastic tank. It will de gum the piston / cyl no problem. You can even soak the top 1/2 in the spray ( I filled the cap) - but be carefull- stuff will mess up your eyes! Wear safety glasses!
Reed valve motors like the one you show need a lot of flushing through the needle to clean up the gum/ crud on the reed if you can't get it apart.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:42:09 PM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
       I've had mixed results with those engines. I had some that wouldn't start at all which I finally gave up on. I also had some real screamers. The only problem was the crank pin broke off of two of them. The engines I had was somewhat like what was posted above. It had a white tank and black crankcase. The crankcase appeared to be a reinforced nylon while the other engine had a crude looking metal casting which looked like a piece of galvanized pipe. Both engines launched the crankpins off of the crank web. I kept two of them hoping for a older project. I think they're neat. I had one in a tether car which was a Volkswagen beetle. That always ran well although it was the plastic gears which gave up. I must say I did get my money's worth from it. Ken

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
I thought the crankcase was a molded carbon plastic but perhaps it is nylon. Here are some more pics that show the tank alignment pin, the pot metal product version and a NIB 8000. Oh, by the way, I think the 8000 signified .8cc (.049 ci).

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
Peter Chinn reviewed the Testor 8000 in the May 1980 Aeromodeller and also the Cox Black Widow in a dual engine test article.  He had already reviewed the Cox Black Widow in the August 1974 Aeromodeller in a stand alone article. The Testor 8000 outperformed the Black Widow using either Black Widow test dates for comparison.

I have an 8000 that's a screamer but it runs out of fuel very quickly. (2 minute run maybe)  There may be some leakage issues with the nylon tank that has a compression fit back cover.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here