News:

• May 04, 2024, 06:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK Cub Diesels  (Read 1063 times)

Offline GGeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
OK Cub Diesels
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »
This evening, I was out in the "Skunk Works" doing some R&D that might be of interest to folks who like small diesel engines. I am experienced at operating most small English and European diesels and also McCoy units but I have not until tonight try to run an OK Cub. I have a new .075 which hasn't seen fuel and recently I Ebayed a used .049.
I decided to try to start the .049 using the standard diesel fuel mix of 1 part ether, 1 part kerosene, 1 part castor and 2% amyl nitrate. No luck.... the engine would only pop when the contra-piston was fully screwed down to the max compression position.
I thought either the engine was worn out or the "O" ring was leaking. I replaced the "O" ring and still no luck. I then checked the piston/cylinder fit and found that the engine would hold compression for some time, so the fit was good.
It was obvious that the engine could not be compressed enough to run and this is because the contra-piston has a flange that limits the the amount of compression available. I'm sure Herkimer did this to keep engines from coming back with bent con rods because of the actions of overzealous ham-handed kids.
I had heard that OKs would only run on OK fuel and this may be true. I don't know what the formula of OK fuel is but it may contain a greater % of ether.
Upon removing the head and c-piston and measuring the gap at max compression, I found the gap to be a whopping .060", too much for such a short stroke engine.
What to do? I was going to make a new C-piston without a flange but got lazy and removed the flange on the stock c-piston using my lathe.
I reassembled the engine, fueled it up, flipped and compressed it until it started and it ran like a charm.

I'd like to know what other modeler's experiences are regarding the OKs.
Is the removal of the flange going to be needed on all the Cubs in order to get them to run on standard fuel?

Orv.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: OK Cub Diesels
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
Orv,

The only person I know who is running an OK Cub diesel (075) was on the other forum, but his profile is now empty? Anyway, he loves the engine, and has it on a free flight model. Perhaps he will see your message, and respond.

The only thing I can think of, is the shock pad on top of the contra-piston. If that is missing, you might not be have enough travel in the compression screw to push the contra-piston far enough. Dan Sitter usually has shock pads.

I've been watching the Cub diesels on eBay, but haven't been lucky enough to win one.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
The only thing I can think of, is the shock pad on top of the contra-piston. If that is missing, you might not be have enough travel in the compression screw to push the contra-piston far enough. Dan Sitter usually has shock pads.
If that were the case then the screw would be bottoming out at it's head, with nothing left to push on the contra piston.  Turning the flange off the bottom of the contra piston then wouldn't fix the problem -- it'd just make it ever so slightly worse because of the missing volume of the flange.

I suspect the OK fuel had more ether, or something -- back when Diesels were new there were several different mixes (in fact, I gather that the way to tune a non-adjustable Diesel was to vary the fuel/oil ratio!).

This page has a discussion on tuning fixed-compression diesels by playing with the fuel: http://www.modelenginenews.org/ad/drone.html.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
I beleive the secret was the ether.  Increase the ether for easier starting.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Hi Bill & Tim,
The flange is at the top of the c-piston and seats against the top of the cylinder bore preventing the c-piston from going too far into the bore and over compressing the engine. Removing this flange allows one to increase the compression more than the factory limit. Since everything was stock including the shock pad when I started and there were no compression leaks, I would have to conclude that the fuel does not have enough ether but this is just my conclusion and subject to revision if someone can give me a better answer.
Every other diesel I own has a c-piston that can be screwed down until the two pistons touch one another, The Cub is the only one I know that has a limit.
Thanks for the comments.

Orv.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
I only had one Cub .075 diesel that I had bought used from a friend back in the fifties. After having it for about 40 years, I gave it back to him. Ran it first to make sure it still ran. Ran OK on Aerodyne or Davis, don't remember which. Back in the day I used OK Cub and McCoy diesel fuel interchangeably. Don't think there was much difference between the way they ran. In general, very small diesels seem to like more ether, so it's worth a try.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
That's one nice thing about John Deere starting fluid in the spray can.

Using a small plastic tube from a WD40 (or similar spray can), you can squirt a small shot of Ether directly into your fuel can, or possibly even into your fuel tank, to freshen up the fuel.  ;D

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
That's one nice thing about John Deere starting fluid in the spray can.

Using a small plastic tube from a WD40 (or similar spray can), you can squirt a small shot of Ether directly into your fuel can, or possibly even into your fuel tank, to freshen up the fuel.  ;D

Bill

Hi Bill,
That's a really good idea. One loses a lot of ether constantly opening and closing a can and just handling the fuel.
It really pays to present these problems to the community because of the collective inventive genius :! out there.

Orv.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here