News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New (Again) Pilot  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Rob Swider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • Old Timers - My Speed...
New (Again) Pilot
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »
It's been over 25 years since I last flew a C/L airplane, but after spending part of this past weekend at the 2009 Brodak Fly-In, I was inspired to give it another try.  My previous experience was with one of the plastic Cox RTF planes on dacron lines.  I remember managing level flight with a good bit of dizziness. 

At the suggestion of someone at the Fly-In, I picked up a Brodak Baby Clown ARF, a Brodak .049 Mk I engine, some 10% 11.5/11.5 fuel, and a set of .008 35-foot lines.  Someone gave me a yellow plastic "adjustable" handle.

The box for the plane suggested 5.5x2 props for a beginner.  I bought the three that were in stock and a 6x3.5 for motor break-in.  Weather and family commitments permitting, I'm going to try breaking in the engine one evening this week and building the Clown this weekend.

Any suggestions, hints, or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
Re: New (Again) Pilot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
Welcome back Rob

Make sure the balance is per instructions or just a little nose heavy and limit the control throws for the first few flights. You can always increase the throws as you gain confidence. While breaking in the motor, time how long it will run on different amounts of fuel then limit some of your first flights to shorter duration till you overcome some of the dizziness.
Good luck
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
Welcome back Rob! We have been missing you. Glad you came home!

I haven't tried the Baby Clown but have heard many good things about it. I think you will be glad with it.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
      Rob , I have that combo , ARF Baby Clown with the Brodak Mk. 1 and it flies well .
   Using .008  35 ft lines and fuel is Sig 25 % nitro  20% oil ,you can use less nitro .
    Good times !

Bill
AMA 325076

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
Fly over grass if at all possible.

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
Rob,

Welcome back!  H^^

My break from control line flying was a little longer (49 years), but I'm having a ball.  ;D

Tried a half A combat trainer for my first flight, and it really screwed me into the ground! Managed to land it safely, but I was so dizzy that I fell over, and just laid there laughing!  LL~

Flew a couple more half A airplanes with nearly the same results, but managed to stay upright on about the third flight.  n~ Still too dizzy to walk a straight line, but definitely better than the first few flights.

Now I'm flying a Skyray 35, with an engine almost as old as I am. It's a fifty year old McCoy 35 Red Head that had never been run! The owner started it once, before selling the airplane and engine to me.

On my last flight yesterday (still limited to level flight and wing overs) the dizziness was almost completely gone. Can't wait to try a few loops and horizontal eights, but I'm in no hurry.

Here is my friend Mark's Coroplast trainer, that I had my first few flights on. That much fun isn't usually legal!  ;D

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
Oops, that was also my first posted photo, and is obviously my Skyray, and not the trainer.

Here is the trainer.

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of the encouragement!   #^

I do have access a grass field to fly from at the local park.  The remnants of a dirt infield remain for a runway.

I should have mentioned that I bought a 1/2 ounce wedge tank to mount on the Clown and a 1-ounce tank for the break-in stand.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the wedge tanks require the plane to be moving in order to extract all of the fuel.  I suppose that mounting the tank on the test stand at an angle would give me some idea of the run time.

As far as limiting the control throws initially, do I just move the lines closer together on the handle?

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
Rob,

The control horns provided with the Baby Clown ARF have three holes for the pushrod. Connect the pushrod to the hole that is farthest from the elevator to reduce the throws. You can also move the lines closer together at the handle, as you mentioned.

That ARF is known as a good handling airplane, but try to find some one who knows the correct way to hand launch it for your first flights.

Also, don't use the Easy hinges supplied with the Baby Clown ARF, as they are so stiff that any loss of line tension is likely to cause a serious loss of control. Replace those plastic hinges with small nylon hinges, and glue them in the existing slots with hinge glue (available at any good hobby shop).

Another easy way to hinge those pre-slotted surfaces, is to sew them with figure eight stitches in four or more places, using Dacron or nylon thread. Do a search here for "sewn hinges", and you should find examples. Other thread will work, but those two are easy to find.

Be sure to seal the hinge slots with hinge glue, whether you use hinges, or thread. Oil will wick into the open slots, and into the wood if you don't.

For the same reason, use a drop of CA or hinge glue, where sewn hinges go through the stab and elevator.

Your right, mount your bench tank with the wedge down. I like to use a small piece of foam padding under the tanks, so they don't slide around.

Bill

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »
Rob, where are you located?  Maybe there are some forum members close to you.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
I'm glad I checked the forums before I started gluing the CA hinges provided in the kit.  The local hobby shop (Hobbytown USA) had the nylon hinges, but did not stock the hinge glue.  We have another shop about 20 minutes north of home that might have it.  Would there be any harm in using epoxy for the hinges?

I got all the iron-on covering tightened and de-bubbled last night.  I also got the engine test stand parts cut out.  If we don't get the thunderstorms being promised today, I'm going to break-in the engine tonight.

I live just west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  An older neighbor of mine used to be president of the defunct "Flying Devils or Pittsburgh" club.  He currently cannot fly because of eyesight and vertigo issues.  We came upon two former club members at the Brodak Fly-In.  One lives very close to me and suggested getting the club going again.  I'd personally welcome it and even volunteer to run things until it got some momentum.  Counting my son, father-in-law, neighbor, and the gentleman we met, we're off to a start...

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
Try to get your son to bring a few of his friends along too!
The more, the merrier!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
Rob,

You can use epoxy, but be carefull that you don't get any on the hinge pins. It cleans up well with a Q-tip dipped in Acetone, or rubbing alcohol (99% works best).

The advantages of hinge glues are, no mixing required, easy clean up with water, and it stays slightly flexible, so slight misalignments are less likely to bind.

Did you get the Baby Clown version with beam mounts?

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:11:55 PM »
Well, it seems the hinge glue has some advantage over the epoxy.  It's probably lighter too.  Looks like we're going to get rain tonight, canceling the engine break-in, so maybe I'll take a ride to the other hobby shop for the correct stuff.  I wanted to pick-up one of the Mecoa plug adapters for a Cox .049 anyway.

As far as the Baby Clown, I bought the beam mount ARF.  However, it doesn't appear that any fuel-proofing was applied to the exposed wood in this area.  I'll add a light coat of epoxy after I get the engine mounting holes drilled.  Might not be an issue anyway, I'll probably destroy it before fuel-soak does...   ;D

It's really tough to find kids that are actually interested in this stuff. ???  Not to stereotype all teens, but video games, cell phones and organized sports seem to have grabbed the attention of most of them.  As a kid, I remember spending every dime I could earn cutting grass at the hobby shop.  My son has always been exposed to whatever Dad was tinkering with in the workshop so his exposure was different than most.  He even got his ham radio license at 12-years-old (proud parent mode: OFF).  I hope we can get more teens interested.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
Rob,

Yes, the Pacer hinge glue is easy to use. No pre-mixing like epoxy, and very easy clean up as well.

Good idea to fuel proof your engine mount area!

I also prefer epoxy joints for the wing and tail surfaces, rather then the recommended thin CA. Haven't heard any real complaints on the CA joints, but I prefer to use epoxy on those high stress joints.

My son never had more than a casual interest in model airplanes when he was growing up, and my girls had even less interest. One of my granddaughters went flying with me several times, but they moved away before I could teach her how to fly. Now we have no kids in the house, and live in a large condo development, where most of the residents are retired like us. Can't even run my engines around here, and painting is out of the question.  ::)

Of course, the upside is absolutely no yard work, or exterior home maintenance. They even wash our windows on the outside, paint the trim, and stain the deck! ;D

Going flying again tomorrow, so I'd better get some sleep.

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 05:46:40 AM »
The wing is already covered and they have you slice it away in the fuse contact area, then the thin CA is wicked into the joint.  I suppose that one could apply some 15-minute epoxy, then slide the wing in and align it.  You'd have to do some epoxy clean-up from what squeezes out, but it would definitely be a strong joint. 

The weather held out last night, so I passed on the hobby shop trip and finished the engine test stand.  Unfortunately, it started raining before I could get it running.   :(   Our local weather pattern has been very unsettled for the last few weeks and most days have been breezy.  We've tried to squeeze in some flights with the RC park flyer stuff after things calm in the last hour before dark.

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »

{SNIP}
 most of the residents are retired like us. Can't even run my engines around here, and painting is out of the question.  ::)

Of course, the upside is absolutely no yard work, or exterior home maintenance. They even wash our windows on the outside, paint the trim, and stain the deck! ;D

Going flying again tomorrow, so I'd better get some sleep.

No yard or exterior home maintenance is a HUGE bonus.  I read that as more flying time.   y1   Can't you get away with painting in the garage with a ventilation fan pushing the fumes outside?

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
Tried to start the new Brodak .049 last night, but finally gave up once it got dark.  Having followed the motor instructions to the letter, I was a bit frustrated. ''   I called another pilot I know, and planned to meet at his house this afternoon.   He determined that the fuel line I was using was a bit too big and probably drawing air.  He also repositioned the tank on my test stand to be closer in-line with the intake.  The Brodak manual suggests two turns out on the needle valve as a starting point, but mine wouldn't fire until we leaned it half-a-turn.  Ran two one-ounce tanks through it and headed for home.  Brodak suggests about six one-ounce tanks for break-in.  My Ni-starter was dead, so I'm going to run the last four tanks tomorrow.

I like how this little engine sounds.  Doesn't seem to have the high-pitch sound I remember from the Cox engines...

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
     It doesn't have the high pitch sound because it's not turning the high
  RPM's that a Cox  will .  But the Brodak once broken in is a reliable sport motor .
   Just be careful about flooding it at start up .
      Bill
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:29:04 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
Rob,

Yes, it would equate to more flying time, but my group of retirees only flys three days a week.  ;D

We also help take care of our youngest granddaughters quite often, so I seldom get to fly more than once a week. The kids are kept busy full time, with dancing, piano lessons, T-ball, Little League, soccur, girl scouts, and social activities. Being a father, you know the drill I'm sure.

Our garage is also our main storage area, so it's pretty full.

Good to hear you got the Brodak engine running. Which model do you have?

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
Guys, I'm getting very frustrated with this motor.  ''  I ran two tanks of fuel through it yesterday, but today I was unable to get it to start.  I get the occasional "pop", but that's it.  Initially, I left the needle valve where it ran yesterday.  I've tried the needle valve everywhere from 1/2-turn out to 3-turns out.  Nothing but pops.  The glow plug seems to be glowing nice and hot.  Bill Barber mentioned flooding.  Maybe that's the case here.

Maybe it's my test stand setup.  Is the tank too high?  I've attached a few photos I took tonight. 

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, it's the Mk I version of the motor.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
       I understand that were some problems with that engine, I do not know exactly what it was but if you call (573) 255-3514 and ask for Joe he can tell you all about it.
     Okay let us say that the engine is good, we first want to check the engine out. Pull the glow plug and test it, if it sizzles it is flooded, if it glows bright it is good anything else it is not. Check all screws in engine, one might have shook loose. Reinstall the plug, tight. Remove the fuel line from the engine and plug the tank vents with your fingers; blow into the fuel line and watch for leaks.
     Now to set the needle valve. First connect a NEW fuel line to the engine then remove the needle valve and blow into the fuel line, air should pass through. Now plug the spray bar end (where the needle valve came out of) and air should blow into the engine, if not then clean it out. Screw the needle valve back into the engine, all of the way. Blow into the fuel line no air should come out, slowly back the needle valve out until you hear air hissing out, this is about the right setting for starting.
     Now hook the fuel tank back up and let's start it up. Place your finger over the venturi and with the battery hooked to the glow plug walk the prop through (turn it over slowly) you should see fuel comming up from the tank and even feel the prop jerk as the fuel reaches the piston's top. The Glow plug should sizzle and the engine is ready to start. I never use a starter on a 1/2a engine 3 to 10 brisks SNAPS of the prop should get it running. Electric starters tend to flood engines quickly.  H^^
Larry

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
      Rob ,  The Brodak Mk 1 is very prone to flooding . Take your fuel line completely off then sparingly prime
 the venturi and try and run it . If everything else is working it should start and run off the prime . Do this several times
 till you know how much to prime to get it to run . Then hook your fuel line up and run at least six tanks thru it .
   Don't give up ,  the starting gets much easier after  you break in the motor .
     Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »
Rob,

Larry and Bill pretty much covered it.

One thing that I noticed is that the tank is a little higher than the venturi, so when the tank is full, fuel may siphon into the engine. If that is the case, your fighting a flooded engine from the start.

Here is what I would try. Disconnect the fuel line from the engine, pull the prop through by hand until the piston comes up and blocks the exhaust ports, then squirt a couple drops of fuel against the side of the piston.

Connect the glow driver, and flip the prop over smartly. It should start, and run out the prime. If it only pops a couple times, and then won't fire again, increase the amount of prime slightly (again with the piston up), and try again. When you can get it to start, and run out the prime, you will have an idea of how much prime it likes.

Now, put only a half ounce or so of fuel into the tank, and reconnect the fuel line to the venturi. You only want enough fuel to cover the pickup tube inside the tank.

Now cover the venturi with your finger to choke the engine, and pull it over slowly until the fuel is drawn to the spray bar, and no air shows in the fuel line.

Now put one drop of fuel in the venturi, and prime against the side of the piston as before. Connect the glow driver, and flip smartly. It should run out the prime, and continue to run. If it's too rich, it will slow down after the initial prime is exhausted, and possibly sputter and die. If it's too lean it will run out the prime, and immediately die.

So, open the needle a couple clicks if lean, or close it a couple clicks if rich.

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »
Okay, from what I'm reading here, it sounds like it is flooding.  When I checked the plug yesterday, it definitely sizzled.  As a matter of fact, the entire time the glow driver was attached, I was hearing a sizzle.  We're supposed to get some storms here today, but if the weather holds I'll try what was suggested here. 

After I try running on the prime as suggested, I think I'll reconfigure the test stand by turning the motor mounting board 90-degrees.  That will position the engine with the exhaust pointing down - like it will mount on the plane.  That will give me more flexibility with the tank position.

Question on the glow plugs... Do I have to use Brodak plugs?  My local shop only carries OS Max plugs, but I'm not sure which would be appropriate.

Thanks again guys.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 03:38:24 AM »
     I own the same engine myself. I found that the 10% fuel didn't give satisfactory runs though. I'm well aware of what the instructions state but the higher nitro results in easier starts and easier needling. I found the engine liked smaller props initially until it was broken in. I was using a 5x3 APC. The only down side was it was tricky to flip it fast. One thing to keep in mind with that engine is that there is no dowel or roll pin to keep the cylinder liner in place. Make sure when you tighten the head the cylinder liner is still lined up with the cutout in the case . This might take a try or two to get it lined up correctly. That engine really doesn't like the muffler much for break in. I use it now with good success. Ken

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
Last night my schedule and the weather cooperated, so I took the Brodak .049 outside along with a printed copy of this thread.  I'm happy to report that by combining everyone's advise, I was able to get it to run.  #^  When you guys said this motor floods easily, you weren't kidding!  I was surprised how little fuel was needed to run off the prime.

I managed to get a couple of 30-second runs from the tank before the rain chased me inside again.  :(  While I still think my fuel system needs some adjustments, at least I'm starting to get some understanding of the engine.  If the weather cooperates this evening, I'm going to attempt to finish the break-in.

By the way, can I use OS Max plugs in this engine?  If so, which size?

Thanks again to all who have helped.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »
You can use any plug in the engine if you do not tell the engine, it will never know. The size should be short and since you engine floods easy you may want to try a R/C plug. Take the plug with you and compare.
Larry

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
       Rob, when you ask questions about certain items you can get a whole swing of variety. My personal feelings about using standard plugs on 1/2 a engines aren't positive. I've tried using adapters in several other engines Cox, Norvel, etc. They all resulted in money spent and performance loss. The Brodak engine was designed so that this engine could be used by the most unexperienced flyer using simple and basic items. The fact that you could virtually use any current available glow plug is a big plus to the basic user. Unfortunately, the result is typically loss of compression hence more difficulty starting. Larry Renger posted a simple fix to this engine by drilling out the threaded area that the plug screws into and using a head button like the Norvel and Ap engines use. I did this mod due to the fact a new head was only $10.00. I took out the cylinder liner and lapped it on a piece of flat glass using 800 grit and a bit of oil. I then used the Norvel head button and flattened it the same way. This allowed me to discard the stock head shim which comes with the engines. This boosted compression considerably and made starting quite easy. This put the engines performance more into the parameters which I prefer. These head buttons are now being produced by Merlin glow plugs and are relatively inexpensive. Ken

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
Wow, that's an interesting idea, but it sounds like something way beyond my ability.  Metal-working of any kind has never gone well for me - I'd probably end up with a $50 paper weight.  :)    I think I'm going to have to stay with the stock setup and work my way through the learning curve.

Larry Renger posted a simple fix to this engine by drilling out the threaded area that the plug screws into and using a head button like the Norvel and Ap engines use. I did this mod due to the fact a new head was only $10.00. I took out the cylinder liner and lapped it on a piece of flat glass using 800 grit and a bit of oil. I then used the Norvel head button and flattened it the same way. This allowed me to discard the stock head shim which comes with the engines. This boosted compression considerably and made starting quite easy. This put the engines performance more into the parameters which I prefer. These head buttons are now being produced by Merlin glow plugs and are relatively inexpensive. Ken

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »
          Rob , the stock setup will work fine for you , try different  glow plugs and keep track of which ones work best for you .
           Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Believe me, the simple mod is not beyond anyone's ability.  If you drill the plug hole out undersize, the new glowhead won't go through and you need to use the next size up.  If it is oversize, the original cylinder head threads will center it and you have no problem.  I do not do any lapping, I just use the original gasket to seal the new glowhead.  The "R" drill is .3390, but the next "inch" drill is 11/32 or .3483.  Either will work just fine, and in fact, I doubt that there would be a problem using a 3/8" drill, as the head outside radius is what applies the retention pressure and the threads the centering.  You don't even have to drill all that well as the hole for the top of the plug just isn't the critical dimension. 

For ultimate performance, just buy the Nelson glowhead and plugs.  Do a search and you can read all about it.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
       Rob , keep us updated on how you are doing ! Have you flown your model yet ?
                  Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 10:42:55 AM »
Thanks for asking.  ;D  I took a break from things last weekend to go camping with the family, but I got back to it this week.  The plane is finished except for the decals and mounting the engine.

I still need to get a few more good runs on the test block to feel confident with the little Brodak engine.  Last night I picked up some new fuel tubing, a 1.5v starter battery with plug wire, and a couple of McCoy plugs.  Last week I managed to get a 20-30 second run from the engine before it died.  There was plenty of fuel left in the tank.  The fuel tubing I used was old and had very thin walls, so I'm guessing it might have been drawn closed.  The new tubing is the thicker walled stuff that should eliminate the problem (if that was the problem).  I had been using my son's 1.2v ni-starter from his RC car, but I read a post somewhere that some plugs/engines like a bit more voltage.  The 1.5v battery should eliminate that possibility.

If all goes well, I hope to fly it tomorrow.

Rob , keep us updated on how you are doing ! Have you flown your model yet ?
                  Bill

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
Rob,

Assuming you also lowered the tank so it won't cause flooding, I'd keep it on the test stand until you can get reliable full-tank runs. It is much easier to iron out all the quirks there than in the plane.

Once you are thoroughly familiar with it and can get reliable runs, THEN put it in the plane. You'll be glad you did.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
      George is 100% correct  , get it  running well on the test stand before you put it on a model .
 We have all done it the other way which  leads to a lot of frustration  ,   I know !  HB~>
AMA 325076

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
Rob,

Assuming you also lowered the tank so it won't cause flooding, I'd keep it on the test stand until you can get reliable full-tank runs. It is much easier to iron out all the quirks there than in the plane.

Once you are thoroughly familiar with it and can get reliable runs, THEN put it in the plane. You'll be glad you did.

George

George is 100% correct  , get it  running well on the test stand before you put it on a model .
 We have all done it the other way which  leads to a lot of frustration  ,   I know !  HB~>

I'll third that motion.  I also get used to starting the engine on the plane before taking it to the Field.  It seems less embarrassing than getting to the Field and not being able to get it started.  
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
I've been outside for the last hour trying to get this engine to run.  It's on the test stand and the fuel tank is currently disconnected.  I've only managed to get one short burst on a prime. HB~>  Tried a new plug, still only pops.  Remembered why I started flying electric RC...

Going to get a cold one and try again...

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
Rob,

Did you get a new starting battery?

Some of those sit on the shelf for many years, before being sold. A voltmeter place across the batter terminals while you connect the glow plug should show little or no drop in voltage. Any drop here will be increased by the length and size of the wires, and may not leave enough voltage at the plug.

If you do not have a voltmeter, just connect a spare plug to the plug connection, and make sure it glows brightly. You may have to shade it from the sun to see.

Another problem that can catch you off guard, is contamination in the fuel line and spray bar. Castor oil can also congeal inside the spray bar, and increase the viscosity just enough to cause hard starting.

If you have a fuel bulb or syringe, you can flush it out under pressure. Not your needle setting if it hasn't been disturbed since the last run, and take it all the way out. Connet the fuel bulb or syringe to the fuel inlet nipple with tight fitting fuel line, and force fuel through the spray bar to clear any obstructions.

Check the tank and feed line as well. Fuel should flow freely out of the feed line freely when disconnected, if the free end hangs below the tank.

We have all seen these kinds of problems, but they are not that common.

Bill

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
          Like Bill Adair you could have a low battery or your flooding again . Those are the two main things to check .
           Keep trying !
                               Bill
AMA 325076

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »
       Rob, my engine had a large piece of flash right where the hole in the crank lines up with the venturi. This was totally obstructed with the needle in place. Your mentioning that the engine will run on prime but not when its hooked to the tank. Is the engine definetly flooding for sure. A sizzle can sometimes be a false sign that the plug is glowing. Did you take the plug out and look at it glowing? A sizzle can represent a flooded engine for sure. I noticed in your picture that it appears you have a block under the tank. Try taking that block out it may make initial start harder but you should be able to see the fuel coming up the tubing. I know you mentioned getting a new plug. I'm not saying that your engine has the same piece of slag in the venturi but mine did and until I removed it I was suffering from similar problems like your stating. I was getting very frustrated. My engine too would flood but I think it was due to me having to open the needle to get it to draw fuel. I also went right to the high nitro. I feel this helped starting significantly. I still ran a hot plug initially without problems until I did the head mod. I also had better success with starting the engine with a smaller prop than the 6x3 I started with. In the event your starting setup keeps flooding, you might want to try capping the top vent and leave the bottom open so siphoning doesn't take place and this way the engine is strictly drawing the fuel. I would also check all fittings for leaks. Even though were talking about flooding here, if this is the case any additional leaks aren't going to give you successful runs. I would check the backplate for tightness and also the needle valve assembly. Ken

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
Rob, an hour is a LONG time for a booster battery to be used at one time.

Tell us about your support equipment...booster, clip, fueler, primer device, etc.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
I have found that glow plugs on small engines benefit from amps as well as volts.  I usually connect four Dcell batteries together in parallel and use 18 gauge lamp cord for leads.  This gives me a good bit of reserve power in case starting takes longer than anticipated.  It also means that the engine may continue to run on a bad needle setting until I can get it adjusted.  If you do this, be sure and check the voltage before connecting to a glow plug.  You probably already know that four Dcells ganged together can result in as much as six volts depending on how they are connected and more than 1.5 may burn out the glow plug instantly.

Also, I'm not sure what fuel you may be using.  I prefer 15 percent nitro on my little engines.  Some people use more.  As someone has already stated, higher nitro can mean easier starts and easier needle setting.  
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 06:11:19 AM »
Well, after enjoying a cold beverage and thinking about it for a bit...

I checked the starting battery voltage at the plug connector, 1.5v (good), but I put the ni-starter on charge anyway as a reserve.  Disconnected the fuel line and put the Brodak plug back in.  Connected the battery and started flipping.  I got a short burst after a few minutes of this.  Went back to the earlier advise and tried running only on the prime.  I few more flips of the prop and it ran on the prime.  I connected a length of the new fuel line to the intake, then set it by blowing and listening for a hiss as suggested.  Finally, repositioned the tank to a lower position and fueled up.  Primed, flipped, short burst, checked fuel feed, primed, flipped, it ran!!!  #^  Adjusted the needle for a sloppy sound and let it run.

Followed a strict procedure for fueling and priming for each run.  Managed to get five 2-ounce tanks run through it.  I bolted it to the plane and finished the decals around 11:00pm Saturday.

Knew we had a graduation party on Sunday afternoon, so I called my father-in-law and another flying buddy to see if they wanted to give it a go on Sunday morning.  All was a go.  Woke up Sunday morning to a windy day, checked with the guys and decided to go for it anyway.  We get to the field, and my father-in-law gets his Fox .35 powered Yak going first.  Fifth lap, the wind blows it in on him, but he recovers.  Two laps later, wind blows it in, but he can't recover it and we pick-up a busted plane.  Started to ponder if it made sense to send the Baby Clown up.  Then our flying buddy gets one of his .35 powered planes airborne and starts having blow-in problems with the wind.  He ends up smacking the ground.  Since both of these guys have over 25-years of CL experience, I decided that I'd wait for a calmer day to send the Clown up.   :(

Thanks again for all the help!   I'll take a picture of the finished plane and post it this evening.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »
          Rob , good decision , 1/2 A's don't like the wind . With time the Brodak MK 1  will get even easier to start .
                      Bill
AMA 325076

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
That wind must have been really blowing to blow 35 size planes into the circle. 

You say you ran two ounces of fuel at a time for break in?  Not required unless it is a large engine.  You only need enough fuel to get engine up to operating temps.  On a  1/2A I would say one to one and half minutes.  On my 35's and up it is usually two or more minutes of run time.  Usually when an engine will hold a setting on the ground I put it in the air with the needle set slightly richer.  Good luck with your flying.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »
That wind must have been really blowing to blow 35 size planes into the circle. 

Yeah, it was blowing pretty good.  A storm front moved through the night before and the air was still unsettled.  It would be nearly calm one minute and gusting the next.  I don't have a wind gauge, but when it was gusting the flag at the park was straight out.  After watching two planes hit the dirt, I put mine back in the truck.  Only successful flight of the day was a fast, large plane with a .40-something sized engine on it...  :(

You say you ran two ounces of fuel at a time for break in?  Not required unless it is a large engine.  {snip}  Good luck with your flying.  DOC Holliday

I went by Brodak's instructions that came with the engine since I don't have a frame of reference with these things.

Going to try again this coming weekend...

Rob

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
          Rob , good decision , 1/2 A's don't like the wind . With time the Brodak MK 1  will get even easier to start .
                      Bill

I sure hope so.  However, I got it started while at the field.  Needed to figure out how much to prime through the intake.  Only thing I didn't like was securing the tank with a rubber band around the fuselage like the manual recommended.  It seemed to move around too much and I see it causing me problems.  I'm planning to secure it with some kind of strap, but I'm not sure how high to mount it.

By the way, I needed to add a 1/4-ounce of lead to the front to achieve balance.  Must have gotten too carried away with epoxy on the tail...

Rob

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »
      Rob , next time you start your engine don't prime it . Fuel it  and then covering the intake with your thumb pull the prop around till you see fuel just entering the venturi . Then hook your battery and try and start it. If it doesn't start then try a tiny prime and go from there . Just be very aware of how easy it is to  flood it .
             Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
Rob,

A small piece of foam rubber under your tank, will keep it from shifting around. I used a couple of tie wraps on my Skyray 35 with foam between it and the profile fuselage, and the tank stays put.

The foam gets a little oily after a while, so I blot it with a paper towel when cleaning up.

The R/C guys use this foam to pad electronics, and fuel tanks. SIG sells it, and almost all hobby shops carry it.

You could probably substitute closed cell foam, as long as it's soft.

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

You could probably substitute closed cell foam, as long as it's soft.

I have some closed cell, I'll give it a try.  I have a wedge style tank, should the pick-up line be at the center of the air intake or below it?

Thanks again,
Rob

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
Rob,

Initially you can center it on the intake, and make small adjustments if the engine runs richer or leaner inverted. Mine were usually right on.

Bill

Offline Rob Swider

• Ensign
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
Thanks Bill, but I think I'm a ways from inverted flight.  Centered the tank on the intake as suggested.  I haven't been able to get my time off to synchronize with calm weather...  :(

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
      Rob , we need an update , have been flying again ?
           Bill
AMA 325076

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here