News:

• June 02, 2024, 08:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: leadout position ??  (Read 1782 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
leadout position ??
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »
Not for any particular model but a half A. What effect would having the leadouts too far forward or too far aft cause ?
And what would the easiest way to find a starting location for them be ?
I'm using an adjustable lead out but not sure where exaclty to lock it down for the first flight and there is no drawing...

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: leadout position ??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »
The angle of the lead out from the bellcrank determines the angle that the nose of the aircraft addresses the arc of the flight circle.  In others words, shifting the lead outs aft on the wing will cause the nose of the model to turn outward causing the plane to be tighter on the lines, it will also cause the plane to slow down.  This is often used when there is a bit of wing to keep the lines tight. 
     The norm is for the aft line to be straight out from the bellcrank and the front line to angle back, moving the front line will alter the models angle.

Larry

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
Advice I was given is to set your CG, then hang the model from the lead outs and adjust for about 3 degrees nose down (yaw actually).  This will provide a starting location. 

Phil

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Not for any particular model but a half A. What effect would having the leadouts too far forward or too far aft cause ?
And what would the easiest way to find a starting location for them be ?
I'm using an adjustable lead out but not sure where exaclty to lock it down for the first flight and there is no drawing...
Jim,
If you start with leadouts too far back the model will yaw until you dial it in.
If you start with leadouts too far forward it will probably cause slack lines ending in a crash.
Adjustable is good because you may find slight differences when using different length or type of lines. That said, most of the time the position shown on plans is usually pretty close and very few of my 1/2A planes have adjustable leadouts.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:23:12 AM »
As the previous writer suggested, if somebody designed a model and kitted it, he should have figured out where the leadouts need to be and shown it right on the plans. 

This adjustable leadout stuff comes into play when you design a plane yourself or you're dialing in for contest-winning performance.

There were countless Top Flight Noblers flying around in the 1960's and not one adjustable leadout.  We took George Aldrich's position as gospel.

Paul Smith

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »
But this is a wing I built and designed and a fuselage i cut by hand to match and fly.....
Basically too back is better than too far forward I am guessing. And in the example of not having enough room to go a lot further forward that is,  OK I am guessing.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
...There were countless Top Flight Noblers flying around in the 1960's and not one adjustable leadout.  We took George Aldrich's position as gospel.

George Aldrich said that he had ripped out the leadouts and moved them several times before he was satisfied.

Adjustable leadouts were a HUGE improvement. Of course with a 16"-24" wingspan, perhaps not so much.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here