News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Neverending Quest to build a plane that I don't care if I crash.  (Read 676 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Since getting back into CL seven year ago, I’ve continually quested for a plane that I won’t care if I crash.  But I haven’t found one yet.  No matter how ugly the plane, I still can’t bear to crash them.  Definitely the reason I’m not advancing.   A couple of days ago a different design published on OZ made me start thinking of the Testors Ambush.  So I looked at the plans again.  The whole plane was designed to be built with two sheets of 1/8x3x36 balsa and a couple of scraps of 1/8 ply, so I pulled out a couple of sheets of balsa and printed out the plans.

But, as anyone who’s read my past posts knows, I can’t just build per the plans.  I’ve always thought the firewall construction was rather cumbersome.  So, to save work and time, the magic Brodak Mount came out.  Since the fuselage is 1/8” balsa, I figured I’d use 1/16” ply for doublers and have the right width for the engine mount.  Horror of Horrors!  I couldn’t find any 1/16” ply!  Ah, well.  On to the next best thing, if not a better solution.  Instead of 1/8 for the fuse, I would use 3/16 for the fuse for more strength and use 1/32” ply for the doublers.  I think this is a better, if not quicker arrangement.  I also glued in a 1/8 stick of spruce for the leading edge of the wing.  The plane is supposed to have the upper fuselage glued to the wing and stab, then the lower fuselage glued to that.  Still cumbersome to me.  Also, didn't seem as strong for the engine mount.  So I built a one piece fuselage and glued the wing and stab into that.  After the plane was covered, I cut out the section between the wing t.e. and the stab and glued in the stiffening cross piece.  The rest is more or less stock.  Here’s the bare bones plane.  The fuse height as designed is exactly right for the Brodak mount.

Since I don’t want to care, I looked for the most unwanted, leftover covering I have.  At least the most unwanted that I have enough of to cover the whole plane.  So I grabbed the roll of mystery no-name red covering in my box.  I really don’t like this stuff, so maybe I’ll abuse this plane more.  The pictures look kinda pink, but it’s bright red under my work lights.  Here it is covered and ready to fly:

I built the adjustable leadout guide per the plans, but I’m not sure yet if I like it.  The guide is a stand alone part that is pinned in place in the wing.  One pin through the front of the guide and one at the back hold it in place.  To adjust the leadout positions, you pull the rear pin and the guide tilts up so you can select different positions.

Unfortunately, it’s gonna rain for a few days.  But, the Black Widow was well exercised recently and should run like a champ.

Mark

Offline Gregory Hammond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Re: My Neverending Quest to build a plane that I don't care if I crash.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 04:57:50 AM »
I have a couple on the go at the moment, building them for a couple of kids interested in CL
these will have wheels for take off and landing

The Ambush is an amazing model to build with just 2x sheets of 1/8inch :) and some ply

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here