News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:13:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 1/2A Skyray  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My 1/2A Skyray
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »
There hasn’t been any activity on this board for a couple of weeks, so I figured I’d just throw up the build log from my last build.  As I documented in the Open section, I built three Skyray 35s.  But, I guess I started feeling a little guilty about spending so much time building the .35 sized planes, and neglecting my Cox engines.  Kinda like cheating on your girlfriend with the girls the next town over.  But, then I thought about the SIG Skyray kit I had in the closet.  I don’t want to build anymore slab wing planes.  And I sorta told myself I wasn’t going to build any more 1/2A planes until I crash some of the ones I have (too many of).  But, I guess I just couldn’t leave well enough alone.  So I pulled the Skyray kit out of the closet and pulled off the plastic.

Taking out the printed wing sheet from the Skyray and measuring it, the wing chord is 4.75” and the span is 23.75”.  This gives about 110sq.in. of wing area.  But, I really didn’t want to build another slab wing.  Hmmm….  Well, since I was printing out wing templates for the Skyray 35 which have a 9” chord, I figured I’d just print a reduced template to get a 4.75” wing chord.  Voila!

Then I cut out the rib templates and pasted them on to my official template stock.

I popped the Skyray fuselage out of the die cut wood and drew the outline of the fuselage on some paper.  Marking a reference line fore to aft on the fuse, I drew the outline of the rib template on the reference line.  Then I marked the firewall and figured out where the prop drive plate would be on a Babe Bee engine.  From that I worked back from the drive plate of a Medallion and drew in the maple engine bearers, the doublers, and the gear leg.  Then I erased and drew, drew and erased, erased and drew until it looked right.  Once I was satisfied, I drew the tail surfaces on the sheet.

Next I just drew up the wing on three more sheets, and it’s ready to go.   

Presenting the Skyray 110! I just needed to get it on paper while I was thinking about it.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: My 1/2A Skyray
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »
Next I cut the ribs for this thing.  I drew in some nose ribs on my wing plan like the full size Skyray has.  I wasn’t sure if I’d use them, as I’m not too partial to a bunch of nose ribs, but I had plenty of time to decide before I finished the wing.

Digging in my box, I found I had enough 1/8” spruce for the spars on hand.  That was the only thing I wasn’t sure about for the build. 

Next, I taped down the wing plan and covered it in plastic wrap.  Then it was just a straight forward build from there.  I find I like the nose ribs more than I thought I would.

After that, I covered the wing with Sky Blue Monokote.  The flight ready plane will have a Medallion instead of a TeeDee, but I just grabbed the first convenient rotary valve engine to drill the mounting holes.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
The finished plane.  The trim is just Monokote trim sheet cut into strips and overlaid to replicate the factory scheme.  The tank is a ¾ ounce Perfect wedge tank on suction.  The Medallion is a well used engine pulled from another model I ran a couple of weeks ago, so it should run fine.  Prop is a Cox 5x3.  I may swap it out for an APC 5.7x3 prop now that I have one of the bushed prop adapters.

The total weight is 5.7 ounces.  More than I’d hoped for, but should still be plenty light enough for the Medallion .049.  My son’s slab wing Skyray with a black widow weighs 6.3 ounces, so I’m ahead of the game. 

Will update after I do a flight on it.

Mark

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
 That looks great. What length and size lines do you intend to use?   H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
I like it.  Hope it flies well for you. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
        Well Done!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
              Mark, one thing is for certain, your work as always is beautiful and well executed. You certainly take the time to think this stuff out and even faster build it. Impressive work, Ken

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »
Larry, I was going to start off with 35' of 10# test Spectra line on a SIG handle.

Ken,  thanks for the compliments.  But the actual build took a little over a month.  Not the quickest build, but it was fun.

Mark

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »

Mark I sent you  a  P/M.. Thanks , Gil
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »

Neat idea and project, should be a great little flyer.  y1

Hello Sig, are you watching?  S?P
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
Mark, you might want to try an APC 6-2.  It seems to give a nice stunt-ish run on a Golden Bee if the airplane isn't too heavy.  It lets the engine run at its happy speed while keeping the airframe speed down a bit.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here