News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sky Sport rebuild complete!  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sky Sport rebuild complete!
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:19:22 AM »
This is the original wing, but all new fuselage and tail structure.  The wood bits are covered with carbon veil. The wing is covered with lightweight polyspan with park flyer film over it. Mod Podge to adhere the polyspan, so no dope was used on the wing.

The tank is built in (permanently, thank goodness it works well!). Engine is an AP Wasp .061 turning an APC 5.7x3 prop. Merlin plug. 15% nitro fuel.

The tank is an old travel shampoo bottle plumbed as a uniflo clunk. The clunk weight is a piece of brass tube with a wheel collar soldered in the middle. The cap was turned on my lathe and glued in with Goop adhesive.

Weight is just under 10 ounces with 1/2 oz. noseweight.

The first flights were on 41.5' .008 lines, but I think I will drop down a bit to get more positive control in the overheads. I have plenty of turning ability to allow the smaller "work space".

Of course I am using an exponential handle!  ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Sky Sport rebuild complete!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
         Larry, that's one cool plane. Are these the shampoo bottles that were featured in the Flying Model's article you wrote about econo tanks? Everything about it just looks great, good to see the plane back. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »
Yup, the marketplace is full of potential fuel tanks!

Remember, Goop is fuelproof, silicon seal is only resistant!  ;)

DesignMan

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
         Larry, that's one cool plane. Are these the shampoo bottles that were featured in the Flying Model's article you wrote about econo tanks? Everything about it just looks great, good to see the plane back. Ken

For those of us who don't have the FM article, could you please explain how to make a tank from a shampoo bottle?
Thanks,  Tim

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
If you have room for the extra length, you can use the bottle as is, otherwise you need to cut off the neck and make a plug to fill the hole. With a lathe, this is of course easy, but not the only solution. Otherwise, cut several disks from 1/8" ply, two to fit in the hole and one larger to act as a shoulder to hold ahe position.

Drill holes in the cap or stopper for your fuel pickup, uniflo and vent tubes and epoxy the whole assembly together.

Slow set epoxy seems more fuelproof than the fast set ones.

Finally, glue the stopper or cap in place with Goop adhesive. It will bond quite well to the polyethylene bottle and is quite resistant to fuel.

Old 35mm film canisters (remember film?) work well if the shape fits your model.

Just a reminder, the Sky Sport is available from RSM as a kit.  ;D

DesignMan

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
Thanks a lot!  I really  appreciate the info!

Tim

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Finally getting back to this, got the tank issues sorted out and got in one really good run today. I need to go to longer lines before trying to fine tune the plane. It shows great potential as a competitive model. It was good in its last incarnation, but better now!  ;D

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here