News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:27:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MP Jet .061 BB glow?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
MP Jet .061 BB glow?
« on: August 26, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »
Okay, next off the wall question.  Does anyone know anything about the subject engine?  While rummaging thru the stash, I came across a box of engines.  They came to me from a now-deceased friend maybe 10 years or more in the past.  Most of the engines are small diesels, modern and repros of older designs.  I found two pristine boxes and engines labeled "MP Jet .061 Ball Bearing".  Looking at them, I'm pretty sure they have never been run.  I'm curious about what has fallen into my lap.  So any knowledge, info, opinion, hearsay...?

Given that they are European design and manufacture, my only guess is that they probably work best on little or no nitro, but who knows...  If they have power, then they might be a candidate for some of these more modern 1/2A stunt designs.

TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: MP Jet .061 BB glow?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
I have 3 of the Jet .061s .2 BB and one bushing .they are very easy starting.  they are very powerfull but I found 2 problems with them the venturie is plastic and held on with only one screw so need to be sealed very good.  2nd the spray bar has 2 feed holes like a Fox. I soldered one shut and opened the other one up a small bit and it was easier to set. they will carry a lite 240 sq in ship .fly's the LIL KING with no problem I used a carbon 6/2 or 6/3  cox  grey

I would love to try one of the diesels
rad racer

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:30:09 PM »
In my experience they are very powerful, but not reliable as stunt engines. Nicely made, and apparently outstanding in competition free flight.

Crashed a couple of nice stunt models before giving up. Same with the Fox .049. Maybe just me, but there it is.

It took a while to transition from Cox engines to Norvel and AP Wasps. You have to learn a particular engine’s quirks.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 07:12:32 AM »
In my experience they are very powerful, but not reliable as stunt engines. Nicely made, and apparently outstanding in competition free flight.

Crashed a couple of nice stunt models before giving up. Same with the Fox .049. Maybe just me, but there it is.

It took a while to transition from Cox engines to Norvel and AP Wasps. You have to learn a particular engine’s quirks.
Larry,
The Free Flight reference may be right on target.  My friend lived in Montana and had lots of open fields close by.  He mostly flew Old Time Rubber, but really liked the small diesels.  We shared an interest in the quirky designs of Keith Laumer - Buttons, V-Girl, Cyrano, Twin Lizzie, Lulla-Bi, etc. - many of them powered by 1/2A diesels.  I never got into the diesel domain, but he thought I should have.  Hence a box of engines came my way.  I was surprised to find the glow MP Jet's.  Of these,  there were a couple of .061 diesels, and a couple of 040 diesels.  At this point, I suspect that he had a box with MP engines that he sent to me.  The glows might have been stuck in the box by manufacturer.  The MP product packaging is quite distinctive, just a bit obscured as to what is inside. 

I'll see how they work.

As for the Fox .049, they seem to be a frequent power plant choice for the Nostalgia 1/2A FF event.  Got a couple of those as well if I ever get back into the IC FF world.
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here