News:

• March 19, 2019, 12:55:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Midwest Mini Warbirds  (Read 465 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Midwest Mini Warbirds
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
      I would like to know if anybody has plans or tracings of the Midwest mini warbirds. There were four of them,The P-51,P-40,P-39 and the Me-109.  I think they were designed by Vince Micchia. Here is a pic of the P-51 Mustang. The plans on the kit only show a fuse side view that I can scale up but don`t have the wings or tail feathers. All information will be appreciated. I added the pic of the P-40 which is the one I would like to find tracings of the parts or plan.

Offline Larry Renger

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Midwest Mini Warbirds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:40 PM »
Cool,I didnít remember them. I hope someone has the kits and will publish plans.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan

BTW, Dracula Sucks!

A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
            Juan, I have the P-39 and the ME-109. Both are built. I should be getting into the shop tonight. I can offer wingspan. The mount Midwest used was very brittle on these planes and mine are broke. I used a Sterling nylon mount on the ME -109.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »
Hello Kenneth
                        I will appreciate your information as it would help me in building one. I have been able to find information on the book written by Dick Sarpolus  Building and Flying control line model Aircraft. In one page it show a photo of all the parts in the kit. I scanned the picture and went to a local copy place and was able to enlarge it so I would have a 21 inch wingspan print of the wing and all the other parts. I know is not going to be accurate but it will be close. I`m just doing the P-40 for fun.  I`m going to try to some stunts with it. Engine will be a Cox Production motor with plastic mount. By the way how well they fly?
                                                                                                                                                                         Juan
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:27:27 PM by Juan Valentin »

Offline Larry Renger

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
The Brodak1/2 A mount is very good. I designed it  :D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan

BTW, Dracula Sucks!

A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:25:41 PM »
Hello Larry
                            I will buy some next time I order, Thanks for the advice.
                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:00:56 PM »
            Juan, the ME -109 has a wingspan of 20 1/4". The wing chord is 4 1/2" at the root and 3 1/2" at the tip. This wing has leading edge sweep and trailing edge sweep. It appears that the trailing edge has more than the leading edge. I would start with a 1/2" of trailing edge sweep and calculate the tip from there.  The stab is 10" with a total width at it's widest point being 3 1/8". The front half of the stab is 1 3/4" at the root and 1" at the tip . Bellcrank pivot point is 1 1/2" from leading edge at root and 5/8" off of fuse.  leadouts exit wingtips at 1 1/4"-2 7/8".

P-39 uses identical stab and the wing is darn near the same with the exception of the tips. wingspan is identical. Root width is 4 3/8" and tip is 3 1/2". It appears that the leading edge uses a 1/4" of sweep at the tips and measure from there.

I fly the ME-109 with no gear and it does pretty well considering it's a plank wing. The P-39 with it's trike gear is a lot more draggy but it seems to loop fairly well and inverted. I think if I was to do outsides, it might get a bit ugly. I use a Black Widow on the P-39 and a single ported Golden Bee which is extremely anemic on the ME -109. Fun planes to build and fly.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:24 PM »
Hello Kenneth
                          Thanks for the information, I already started construction of the P-40 but need to do the wing. I will be looking for a nice sraight piece of 1/8 balsa to use in the plane. Here is what I have done. I made two set of engine mount spacers, one to use with the landing gear an another to fly without it.  Engine is a sure start .
                                                                                                                                                  Juan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »

Looks great Juan! Neat little project, please keep us posted on progress!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.
IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
           Juan, as usual your work excels in every way. I use the Sure Start engines quite a bit. If you haven't done so already, just check the ball socket as they tend to be very loose when new. I have also found the Gray backplate to crack in the area where the spraybar passes through just from vibration.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
Hello Kenneth
                             Thanks for the advice on the sure start engine, I will take it apart before I finally install it on the plane. I have done the wing and controls and have it together for this photos now comes the hard part of sanding and painting also I need to make a small gas tank and mount it before I start the painting.weight at this time is 5.1 oz but still lacks tip weight,gas tank,paint and leadouts. here are some pics of my progress.
                                                                                                                                                                                     Juan

P.s. I lowered the elevator by about 3/8 of an inch in hopes to be able to do outside loops.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:52:20 PM by Juan Valentin »

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »

Here are side views of the two other Midwest mini warbirds on this series the P-39 Aircobra and the Me 109.
                                                                                                                                                                    Juan

Offline 944_Jim

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 10:47:51 PM »
Too cute, Juan!

Do you have templates for the wings, stabs and elevators on all these plans? If so, please share.

I'm watching to see what your all-up weight is with the P-40, especially if it loops! I have a Scientific P-40 with a built up wing, and it'll plow into the ground if I try to loop it. Either I built a flying brick, or I have some serious CG issues.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »

Hello Jim
                       I have none of the plans. I started this thread looking for plans and or tracings of the parts of the P-40. The side views I have posted are from a Plan Book published by the AMA in the past maybe 1980`s. I found a picture of the P-40 kit contents in a book called Building and Flying control line model Aircraft by Dick Sarpolus and worked from that to build mine. I took the side view from the small plan I have and using a printer enlarged it. Using as a guide the size of the wheels I enlarged the plan until I had wheel that was 1 1/8 inch in the side view of the plane. The plans state the wingspan to be 21 inch. Using the view of the P-40 kit parts in the Sarpolus book I again enlarged the picture until I ended with a 21 inch wing. I also got the shape of the elevator from that pic. The plane I have built is not an exact copy of the kit. If I find more information I will post it here.
                                                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline 944_Jim

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
Juan,
With what little you had to work with, you knocked it out of the park! At this point I'm a plans junkie. I mean, I've even paid for digital copies of parts of plans!
So I guess I can keep waiting...it's not like I have nothing to build. In fact, I'm so deep in partially started kit, unstarted kits, printed plans, digital plans, my wife keeps telling me I can't die and leave her to "get rid of the junk." Her words, not mine!
I'll be watching this thread eagerly awaiting the test flight, and hoping someone comes along and finishes adding to the drawings/plans.
Thanks for your efforts!

Tags: