News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:14:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maby Nobler Question  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Maby Nobler Question
« on: January 02, 2022, 07:33:39 AM »
i am building a Vintage Performance Baby Noble and want to cover it with  tissue for weight concerns. Should I use Sig Lite Coat as the wing is lightly build or would the normal Clear Super Coat dope be OK? Or is there a better choice  for covering?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Maby Nobler Question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:39:16 AM »
i am building a Vintage Performance Baby Noble and want to cover it with  tissue for weight concerns. Should I use Sig Lite Coat as the wing is lightly build or would the normal Clear Super Coat dope be OK? Or is there a better choice  for covering?
Are you going to apply it wet or dry?  I was an old FF type, (now I am just old) and I/we used non touting dope to seal the frame then applied the tissue wet (well damp).   Had to pin the frames to something till it dried.  No dope till both sides were covered (use the lite, Super Coat will shrink a lot).  Another method we used when we did not want too much shrinkage of the tissue was to pre-shrink it some by dry ironing it while damp between two pieces of bed sheet material.  Got out all the fold wrinkles and made it easier to apply dry.  Mostly solid Hand launch and Nordic gliders with 1" rib spacing.  We used lacquer on them.  Personally, I would try and find some light weight silkspan but if you must, pre dope the frame, cover both sides dry, block it up somehow so that the LE and TE cannot warp and dampen the tissue on both sides till it is "tight" but not too tight. Let the dope do the rest.  Try and keep moisture off of the frame if you can.  All of this assumes you have real "Jap" tissue and not something you got at Michaels for wrapping gifts.

Good luck, I am sure others will have some tricks up their sleeves too, maybe even better ones! H^^

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here