News:

• June 16, 2024, 08:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions regarding the Gorgeous Scientific Bel Air!!!  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Questions regarding the Gorgeous Scientific Bel Air!!!
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
I couldn't decide where to put this in Open forum or here,  so I thought this is good enough place to start!

Quote by Nobler:

"It was kind of interesting that the Bel Air, with a hollowed, clamshell wing and buried leads, was allowed for a number of years. But, no longer. The Bel Air makes a nice Unlimited, however, and it would be neat to scale it up 2:1."

Also:

"Also, the Bel Air was dropped, because it had a unique hollow airfoil. It was what I call a clamshell, in two pieces. I built one while it still was legal, and use it in Team Race. It would have an unfair advantage in Stunt, due to its fat foil section, when compared to the flat, solid ones."

This is pretty much all I could come up with for info on  Scientific's Bel Air.

I have one of these beauties and wasa wondering why so little is mentioned of it! Is the wing design really unique? I know of no other hollow logs that came with one.

Was this kit always from Scientific?  It seems like I saw it boxed by Enterprise models but I cannot for the life of me back this up. I guess I am mistaken. I will keep looking... Maybe I dreamed it?

Heh!
C'mon ya'll, set me straight! And show yours if you have one!

Oops, Can't find my picture... I'll be back...here is one of the kits-

Robert
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:28:13 PM by Robert McHam »
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Questions regarding the Gorgous Scientific Bel Air!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
     At Black Hawk Models we make a similar type wing on our Baby Fireball kit, but we put the controle outside of the wing. Berkley made several with hollow wings but they were just as heavy and did not fly any better.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Questions regarding the Gorgous Scientific Bel Air!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:16:38 PM »
Larry, that is great to know, thank you for that.

For what I do know is that for Scientific, this was the only kit they had with this wing and it was sold for many years without any real change that I know of. Yet it never (as far as I know) was used on any other of their kits.
Scientific made a number of cost cutting changes over the years but the Bel Air seemed to escape these, as far as the wing design.

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Questions regarding the Gorgeous Scientific Bel Air!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »
OK friends, here is mine ;D

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
       I am sure that Scientific made only the one kit. A few years back I recieved a request for a model to be designed for the Gilbert engine. I used the "Pocket Wing" on it and it seemed to work well too, the customer was happy with the handful that he ordered and we also made a .020 model, the Hornet, with the wing. There really isn't much advantage to the 1/2a size pocket wing over a solid one except in the advertising department. We sell several Baby Fireball kits but we have never had any request for more designs with this wing. I am sure that Scientific had the same reaction.
    Let's face it, we make what you want and ask for.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »
Larry, from the standpoint of manufacturing I see your point.

Still a beauty of a plane. Gotta love the 30s styling.

Robert

Offline nobler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
Correct. The Bel Air was an exclusive Scientific model, and not offered by Enterprise. And, to the best of my knowledge, no other 1/2A (or larger) model was offered with this "clamshell" airfoil.

It seems to be a pretty popular model, in that they pop up on ebay from time to time. It is nicely styled with a formed aluminum cowl. Currell

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:42 AM »
Yes, the kits do show up for sale but I have not seen any, until now, built. I do not know why that is.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »
Yes, the kits do show up for sale but I have not seen any, until now, built. I do not know why that is.
Larry

Exactly one of my points Larry! Ain't she sweet?

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »
There have been other kit manufacturers with this clamshell design, I think Consolodated was one.  I have definitely seen a non-Scientific kit with that type wing.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

Hello Robert

Very nice looking plane.   How does it fly and what engine do you have in it.   I have one of the old Kits back in my collection that  I have considered building.

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

Hello Robert

Very nice looking plane.   How does it fly and what engine do you have in it.   I have one of the old Kits back in my collection that  I have considered building.

Dalton H.

I Received this plane just as you see it in the last picture. It had a reedy OK Cub .049 and I only display it. I wouldn't fly it as the controls have some binding in the wing. I think the ends of the lead outs are not cut short. The only way to find and fix the problem would be to hut into the wing.
For now I just like to see it as it is. Later I may build another and do it up right.  I am right proud of her!

Robert

Offline donald raab

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Building one right now.  Hollowed the fuselage with a dremel.  Will cut circular lightning holes on the rear wing area.  Colored tissue and clear.  Will use a mccoy 049 diesel or a cub 074.  Will add a little offset to the firewall.  Any thoughts about the engine preference.  Will use 35 ft. 008 wire lines.

28 bucks on ebay for the plane and 25 bucks for the mccoy.  17 bucks for the cub.  Gotta be patient.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here