News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lil Tsunami build  (Read 15685 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Lil Tsunami build
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
Tsunami waiting for the 1st flight after I made all the trim adjustments, which included adding tip weight, adding nose weight, adjusting leadouts, lowering the pushrod away from the hinge line, checked and adjusted engine thrust line, added washers under the engine lugs, resoldering the fill vent, added a forward facing tube into the slipstream, leaving the bottom overflow uncapped for flights, added the spinner, put fuel tubing over the NVA, raised tank 1/8" higher, and replaced all the old fuel tubing with new ones.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »
First Flight of the day. Too rich. The 3rd flight things started to get really good, did loops, and wingovers, but never recorded it.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »
Looking forward to getting rid of the standard wedge  tank and running a bladder this summer. The engine was very hard to start and wasnt consistant. I suspect the venturi was opened up to run off a bladder. Thank you to the people on this forum that sent me the out of production fine thread NVA required to run it on bladder pressure.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
 It should be fine with a good wedge tank, why not just put a stock venturi back on it?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »
Thanks for the reference Motor man. I will check that venturi size.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2021, 01:56:11 AM »
It should be fine with a good wedge tank, why not just put a stock venturi back on it?
Warbird, I don't have a stock venturi, plus my recollection of the last TD 049 that I ran on a bladder still puts a smile on my face. 😁

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2021, 07:20:07 AM »
Kevin,
Great little ship. You can get Cox TD parts from Cox International Engines (https://coxengines.ca/). Other quick fix is to cut several pieces of nylon cloth into 1/2" circles and put them over the venturi with small wire or zip tie. Start with one and add as needed to get good fuel draw. Also, would switch to a uniflow tank. I would love to see one of these with flaps like the Aussie Yardstick Flat Plate full stunter (got 4th & 8th in there NATs a few years back). Would be simple to add with a double ended flap horn - bellcrank to flaps on bottom, flaps to elevator. For hand launch ship just put controls on top of the wing like the Yardstick.

Best,   DennisT

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2021, 03:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Dennis. I found out the venturi is stock, and all the hard starting issues I had were with the Perfect standard tank. Anyway I'm set on running this on bladder. I made up the bladder tank housing for it today. It's an Inhaler cartridge soldered to copper strips and bolted into the existing tank holes. I wasnt concerned about the weight because the plane is tail heavy.
Kevin

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2021, 06:28:27 PM »
Kevin,
I like the bladder holder. I was looking for ways to mount the bladder on a 1/2A proto ship and got a lot of information from the Barton site (http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0). I think for the Cox TD's with the Cox standard NVA a lower soft pressure bladder is better. There are "Pasteur Pipette Bulbs" that are similar to the old baby pacifier just a little smaller. Others have used a section of simple thin balloons. Let us know the details of the pressure system that works.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:45:50 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2021, 09:58:36 PM »

Good to know the venturi is stock, fuel draw shouldn't really be a problem then. Is it possibly leaking air somewhere? Just a thought, like maybe a crack in the plastic venturi housing?

Wayne Willey

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2021, 10:58:14 AM »
@Warbird & Dennis, The "Perfect" metal tank is residing in a junk box now, so suction will never be a problem again. With the Tee Dee 049's stock NVA, the word on the street is it problematic when using a bladder, something  I'm not a fan of. A fine thread NVA is a must, either a KK NVA or an Ace RC, both of which are out of production. I placed an order with Texas Timers to get all the items I need to make up pressure bladders. They should arrive shortly. I have heard of pacifers but never tried them. I am more familiar with the surgical tubing bladders. Warbird thanks for suggesting to check the plastic on the Tee Dee, there are no cracks. 😁
Kevin.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
 Eons ago the first C/L model I ever built and flew was a Carl Goldberg "Lil Jumpin' Bean". I'd say about 1976-'"77, my first step up from the beat up old Cox PT-19.. The only engine the LHS had was a TD.049, the only tanks they had were the usual selection of Perfect tanks, the only fuel they had was Missle Mist, 25% nitro if I remember correctly. I mounted the Tee Dee with a Perfect wedge tank filled with Missile Mist and flew the heck out of that plane all summer long and into the Minnesota winter snow. No pressurization, just open vents on the tank. It always started and ran great, and totally hauled butt.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2021, 05:08:58 AM »
@ Warbird. I'm glad the Perfect fuel tank worked for you. On my tank the filler tube wasnt even solderd.
Anyway, today I started thinking about the bladder holder location. Its sitting right behind the exhaust. Thinking thats not good. It will fill up with exhaust residue. Thought about installing something to deflect the exhaust away but decided to close up the hole in the tank instead. I had this rubber bushing laying around so i installed that.  After i make up some bladders I can add another bushing to further close the opening. Also thinking how to set up something to pinch the fuel line off.  Maybe a line clip or a clamp between the bladder and engine.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »
Kevin,
I'd love to see if you could cut flaps into the flat wing and see how it compares to the way the model flys now. I have been looking to build one of the Flat Plate stunters using the Assie designed "Yardstick" as base numbers. I have corresponded with a guy that built a GeeBee flat winger and gotten some advice on what not to do. His basic advice was keep it as light as possible and make the flaps full length and at least 20% of the wing area. The project will be around 46" span, 1/4" thick wing.

Best,   DennisT 

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »
Dennis, I'm not sure if installing flaps on a 1/2a model would be worth the extra work and weight? 

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #165 on: December 25, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Kevin,
Flaps on a flat winger always help. Since you can always glue them back not much to lose. If your controls are on the bottom of the wing just make a double ended flap horn and connect the bellcrank to the flap horn on the bottom, then the elevator to the top end. Or put them on the top of the wing either way works.

Merry Christmas.     DennisT

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
Merry Christmas to you to Dennis. And if I build another Tsunami I will consider your suggestion.
Kevin

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2022, 02:23:34 AM »
Thanks to Fredvon4 I now have a new blinged out Tee Dee 051 in Tsunami. Check out that glow plug!
 Fred, thank you!!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2022, 02:27:07 AM »
😃👍 Turbo plugs too!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2022, 07:31:43 AM »
Kevin,
Really nice installation of the bladder holder, could you give some details how to build it?

What replacement head did you use to allow regular plugs? Does the engine have the same power as with the HC TeeDee glow head?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2022, 07:41:26 AM »
Kamtechnik made both the Nelson and Turbo adapters

https://kamtechnik.com/product-category/cox-aft/

Both add RPM vs stock High compression Cox head.. All the standard RC plug adapters usually are a net loss in RPM in my observation
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2022, 12:40:28 PM »
Dennis, that's just an asthma puffer container. It will only hold 11cc of fuel. Thats on the small side for a Tee Dee 051.
With the new engine, Im thinking i will need a bigger bladder container. Cardboard tube type. As long as in the case of a bladder rupture, the fuel wont go on the finish
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 01:31:42 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »
Fred, thanks for the reply on the turbo plugs. I wasn't aware of these until yesterday.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2022, 04:16:56 PM »
Kevin,
Would model rocket body tubes work for you? They accept while glue very well, and can be cut to length and capped easily. Balsa nosecones come in different shapes and sizes. Epoxy will seal the tube readily.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »
Hi Jim ive heard of people using rocket tubes and florescent light sleeves. I found a nice one at the end of a roll of 320 grit sandpaper. Im sure the day shift guy was confused to see the sandpaper there but no tube.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2022, 04:19:37 AM »
Im sure the day shift guy was confused to see the sandpaper there but no tube.

TOO FUNNY
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lil Tsunami Fuel system upgrade
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
Lil Tsunami Fuel System Upgrade
(Or at least I hope because its not been tested yet) Added a One Way Check Valve, T-fitting and tighter fuel tubing. No need for wrapping the ends anymore, I could barely get them on. I have confidence in this upgrade. No more clamps or clips to pinch off the fuel line to deal with. I will use the Needle to open and close the fuel drip setting. What do you think? Will it work?

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2022, 12:59:27 PM »
             Kevin, it will work but your making it very difficult by not using a pinch off. You can never remove all of the air in the bladder. You need to bleed it off prior to starting.  While your idea will work, it's so easy just to open a pinch off. You also can use the pinch off to pinch the fuel line if the setting is too rich until you get your needle set.  Your possibly  going to flood the engine making it harder to start. In addition, the tubing your using could very well pop off of the small TD barb. At the least, you should wrap wire around it to prevent it from coming off. The fine thread needle only requires little tweaking once you have a drip set. You don't have that option by trying to use the needle. The other problem with turning that needle too much is that the black plastic sleeve wears out very fast and the needle will begin to turn on it's own. In other words, the less you move it the better off your are.

In addition, I would personally cut the needle valve down to the first step and solder a washer onto the stem to turn it. If the model flips over, the needle will bend and now your screwed. There becoming harder to source but a Cox postage stamp needle which is 128TPI will fit.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2022, 02:33:12 PM »
Kenneth, what does a pinch off look like? I dont think ive seen or heard of them.  or how they work.
Kevin

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2022, 02:38:16 PM »
            Kevin, do you go to the Cox Forum? I can do so on there. I can't post pictures on here and I'm not going to try and figure it out. I can send you a picture of my simple pinch off but there's other methods as well.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2022, 12:31:30 AM »
See you there and thank you.

Advertise Here
Tags: Spinners 

Advertise Here