News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:53:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lil Jumpin' Bean  (Read 6690 times)

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Lil Jumpin' Bean
« on: October 29, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
Will be ready for a maiden in a week or two ..... gotta break in the motor on another airplane, and make up the lines and handle.

Silk and dope finish, with a couple light coats of poly clear. Sponsor decals are from the 70's and originally in my dad's collection.  Have been wanting an excuse to use a few of them.

Haven't done a threaded hinge in decades .... it should work. :)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lil Jumpin' Bean
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:58 PM »
Larry,
 Couldn't help but notice the glow plug you have on that engine, I have been looking for one of those for a while, where can I get one, and what plug are you using? Also how well does it work?
       Thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
Larry,
 Couldn't help but notice the glow plug you have on that engine, I have been looking for one of those for a while, where can I get one, and what plug are you using? Also how well does it work?
       Thanks a lot

That would be a Merlin plug. You can get both the plug and adapter @ Brodaks.  Also, be sure to have extra head shims.  Start with 3, and go from there until you find your engines sweet spot.  I've got one on my GoldenBee II with 3 shims on 25% nitro ..... and love it ..... have yet to replace it after dozens of high RPM runs.

I'll never run a Cox glowhead again .... :)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »
I love flying those jumping beans. Yours is probably the best ive seen! Outstanding Larry!
Btw, cox also sells the conversion head. Pick your poison! Lol

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
Larry,
       Thanks a lot

You can also get them directly from Merlin. Al sells a kit with the clamp and 3 plugs.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »
Cool Jumping Bean. I have had a couple through the years both with the infamous Black Widow motors.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
Very nice, love your decals.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
Brought back memories of the one I had many years ago.   Yours looks great.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
Larry,
As I posted over on our other forum, I really like your Bean a lot. I admire the meticulous work you put into it. Mine was pretty and I was proud of it, but yours has character in lots more ways. No easy shrink covering, classic decals, stitched hinges, and it appears you took the time to build a quality motor mount rather than the kit-supplied nylon mount.

Mine was built for the purpose of learning to fly loops, and to learn to build a real built-up wing, which was a first for me. The late Jim Thomerson was one of my forum tutors, teaching me things I never realized about what makes a plane fly right. That was on RCG, before I ever knew there was such a wonderful sport as competitive aerobatics. He took an interest and mailed me plans and magazines to help urge me along, something I'll always appreciate. Mine turned out to be a Rustoleum laden lead sled, but I bolted a Black Widow onto it and kept trying until I finally flew my first loop, and exited, still in the air. I shouted, "I did it!" My son caught it on his phone video cam, and shouted back, "Do it again!" and it was my first Youtube video. After that first loop, I was like... Now what the heck was so hard about that!

It flew many flights and I learned lots of new tricks before it finally just wore out. And it was in the air doing figure 8s when the old airframe finally gave up the ghost, about 60 degrees high. Quite a spectacular demise though. Great memories. Thanks for sharing yours with us and bringing back my Jumpin' Bean memories. In its last days it was powered with a Norvel .061, talk about a quick Bean! I'm inspired to take mine off the hook and fix that folded wing, and maybe fly it again sometime.
Rusty

My first loop ever
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 03:59:35 AM »
Hey Rusty!  I hope my bean will do a loop ....  <= .... if it does, I'll honor you by yelling out "I did it!"

My bean is probably heavier than it should be. It has a double layer of silk on the wings.  Was alittle worried about grass puncturing holes in the wing bottom, so I made an effort to try to prevent it.

This plane was more about the finish ..... I have a Prowler on the bench that I have some finishing ideas for, but wanted to practice the finish on another plane.  The Bean looked cool, so thats how it started.  Now that its completed .... I know the areas I need to concentrate more on (re:mistakes) .... but to be honest, I don't think I will paint it with dope.  The Bean is brushed, and it took me a long time to get it right.  Plus, being humid ... I had problems with blushing.  I eventually got the 'knack' to get the blushing out ... but it took many nights

The other thing ..... the finish cost more than the plane and engine combined.  While the end result I'm pleased with, and the ideas for the Prowler show promise, I may look into another way to get the same result.

I really did enjoy the silking and doping though .... I'm not a fan of plastics, and the dope always brings back memories of my youth and I enjoyed the smell. LOL!  The Prowler will be silk covered and doped ... its an amazing way to cover a plane and comes out perfect every time.

I got 6-7 bench runs on the Serpent yesterday ... still blowing out grey gunk, so its a ways from being ready. But it seems really powerful and should pull the Bean through at least one loop. :)

Chat soon buddy .... Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »
As Rusty days doing that first loop you wonder why you thought it was so hard.  My Grandaughter asked if she could do a loop.  I said well you are doing wing overs.   If you try a loop just remember to not stop giving up on the handle until the plane is level again.   She quit flying before I could get her to doing lazy 8's.  Also remember that too much up might stall the plane out.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
your Bean is so cute, I may have to make a "Jiant Jumping Bean"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
...I got 6-7 bench runs on the Serpent yesterday ... still blowing out grey gunk, so its a ways from being ready. But it seems really powerful and should pull the Bean through at least one loop...
Hey Larry, if you haven't already, go ahead and prop it down to 5 or 5.25x3 to finish breaking it in. You'll probably find yourself needing around those sizes for good flying. Remember the Taipan Serpent has SPI so needs to get happy running high RPMs. If you'll get some 35% nitro fuel for it(especially with that Merlin head), you will have the easiest time getting fast dependable runs.

Looking forward to its maiden.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »

Nice looking 'Bean. y1

Way back when, like 7th or 8th grade, the L'il Jumping Bean was my first non-plastic model and my first ever C/L build. Mine was set up with a Tee Dee .051 running on 35% nitro Missle Mist fuel flying on dacron lines. Certainly not what would be considered the ideal setup but that's what the LHS had on the shelf at the time. The combo actually worked really well, plenty of power for a kid that didn't know any better. Had a LOT of fun times with that little plane. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »
Nice looking 'Bean. y1

Way back when, like 7th or 8th grade, the L'il Jumping Bean was my first non-plastic model and my first ever C/L build. Mine was set up with a Tee Dee .051 running on 35% nitro Missle Mist fuel flying on dacron lines. Certainly not what would be considered the ideal setup but that's what the LHS had on the shelf at the time. The combo actually worked really well, plenty of power for a kid that didn't know any better. Had a LOT of fun times with that little plane. ;D

Me, too! In fact, I did my first-ever complete *correct* pattern with my second one, the Wednesday before my first contest. I had been practicing with my regular airplane, but the wrong sequence, which I discovered earlier in the week.  I could fly the Bean in the empty lot next door, so out I went to try it in the right order. A few flights, got it right, went to Lexington, entered Beginner, got a 383 with my regular airplane, got in 4 complete flights, the rest is stunt history.

Brett

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 03:34:22 AM »
I'm glad peoples are enjoying and reminiscing their connections with this plane. I'm really anticipating get it into the air .... :)

Rusty .... the last couple of breakin runs, I did switch to a 5x3 MAS prop. I leaned it a few times, and she really spun up.  Sounds very strong. Not getting much accomplished this weekend with it .... actually having a really fun time at a contest. Yesterday was Old Time Stunt .... didn't do very well as my entries and exits to the manuevers were interpreted wrong (My fault) ... but I learned alot watching others.  On a positive,  I did do them in order and completed all of them both times! LOL

I wasn't going to head back to the contest today ... but I heard from a few guys on the FL east coast.  They're all coming over for beginner stunt .... so I'll grab my 38Special and we'll make a gang of it.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »
Hey, good for you, Larry. CL competition is one of the few sports that can be just as fun and rewarding whether you prefer to only dabble in it or get more serious. I found my seriousness limit this Fall when I started pushing myself too hard, and it hurt my level of fun in practice, hurt my game and my fleet. My new perspective is already in mind for next season, more fun, less frustration.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here