News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: strike 2 on my 1/2A magician...  (Read 2189 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
strike 2 on my 1/2A magician...
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
Oh well,
There is something to be said for tried and true methods like dpe and silk or such...
I recovered the wings using some silkspan and urathand and while it did come out decent . Before I have gotten it finished there is cracking taking pplace on the covering. I'm guessing that the urathane and silksp and is just not strong enough and that the urathane has made it too brittle...
Now I'm going to strip the covering off a second time.
I have  Sig Stix-it . The plan is to use 2 coats everyplace on the wing where there is a major area to adhere to. I will not use it on the ribs themselves  And then Iron on my covering first. Hopefully this will work.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: strike 2 on my 1/2A magician...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
           Jim, was this an experiment? Dope has flexibility over open bays which oil based products don't offer. Was this a oil based urethane you used or a water based? Stix-it is a very heavy product. I wouldn't even suggest using it after my experience with it on a .40 size stunter. Yes, it works, but it's heavy and heavy enough to notice a weight gain by just picking up the model after applying. The other problem with Stix-it is that the sun tends to bubble it and loosen it in the heat. In addition, when ironing the material liquifies to an extent and it wicks up through the covering which leaves that area very shiny. I personally wouldn't recommend the product due to it's many negatives. I found that when used under Monokote, it doesn't allow the adhesive of the Monokote to grab initially and while your ironing it, the solvents attack the color on the covering which really makes a mess. Seeing that you have silkspan on it, this is a non issue, but why not dope from the start? Silkspan and 1/2A really don't get along too well as they don't usually have the same flight characteristics as the large stuff allowing for cartwheel landing. One must be very careful when using it and while multiple coats of clear allow it to be supple, 1/2A planes typically don't handle the weight of several coats. I found that Coverite synthetic stuff not only offers colors but durability as well. Ken

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: strike 2 on my 1/2A magician...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
Ok, ripped of the outboard covering first and replaced it with white coverite applied with stix-it. Put on 3 coats of urethane . Then sprayed with grey primer. It looks a lot  better. Pulled off inboard covering tonight and been sanding away as much silk span as I can get to come off. Trying to get a nice looking plane and see what IT takes.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here