News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lil' Satan vs Combat Kitten!  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Andre Ming

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Lil' Satan vs Combat Kitten!
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »

Okay... bored... thought I'd start a fun thread for gits n' shiggles. Here goes...

Which airplane do YOU feel was a better flying airplane IF these givens are the same:

* Cox Black Widow of equal performance
* Optimized prop for each airplane.
* Same fuel
* 35' .012" lines

Talking STOCK airplanes built as per the kit (no modifieds like the cool "Wido Satan" etc.)

Confession: The last Lil' Satan I flew was back in 1970. The last Combat Kitten I flew would likely have been the early 80s... so my memories are not clear and defined.  That said... here's what I "think" I remember about the two:

* The Lil' Satan was a tad faster owing to its thinner airfoil and lighter weight.

* The Combat Kitten turned a bit tighter (more wing area, as I recall), but was slightly slower in the maneuvers due to slight weight disadvantage and thicker airfoil.

* Both were tough (nose plants).

Given my not-so-detailed memories of them... I would be hard pressed to declare a winner.  What about you?

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Lil' Satan vs Combat Kitten!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
              Andre, I would have to say hands down the Kitten. We certainly could prove that at GSCB combat festival. The Satan has too small of a wing and it's thinner.  In stock form a tad on the nose heavy side. In my opinion it just looked cool. The decal does it on the Satan. The box art sells the Goldberg kit and I'm quite certain more remember it over the Kitten. The Kitten is built much stronger with it's center section sheeted more and the wing is a bit thicker. The booms were plywood on the Kitten unlike balsa on the Satan. If I was going to truly fly them in a match the Kitten wins. When flown with a Black Widow I always felt as though the Kitten was a better pointing airplane when I told it what to do. Ken

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »
Try Gene Pape's Wido Satan.....flys great with his airfoil.

http://flyinglines.org/kb.widosatan.html

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
Ken B:

No fair!   n1  <= 

No doubt the Wido Satan will outfly the box stock Lil' Satan version.  BUT... we're talking STOCK Lil' Satan and a STOCK Combat Kitten.

Ken C:

You make some good points. One I hadn't though of is the marketing of the Lil' Satan vs the Combat Kitten.  Definitely the Lil' Satan has it all over the Combat Kitten when it comes to a "cool" name and "cool" box cover marketing.

Though I have no direct comparisons to support this next statement, I too, feel the Kitten may have the edge when it came to "fly-ability" owing to more wing area/etc.  I recall the Lil' Satan being fast (but I was flying it on 27 1/2' Dacron lines as I recall the instructions recommended) and could turn pretty good.  In contrast, I think I remember the Kitten being a bit slower (but I can't remember what lines I was using... 27 1/2' Dacron or 35' .012"?) but turning quite nicely.

I will have my Combat Kitten at the GSCB's VCF, but alas, the Cox Black Widow on it is only for "show/display". It's tired and needs to be freshened up with a gasket set/etc.

Anybody else have some opinions to share?

All fer now!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Does any body kit the kitten these days?

I searched E-Bay and seems several of the original double kits went for over a $100....

Suppose I could find the plan and cut my own but I really really like working with laser cut parts...making ribs with my old arthritic hands is a LOT of painful work
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »
Hi Fred!

In my "Combat Kittens" thread on this forum, Dennis Saydak made this offer:

Andre, I have a twin pack - Combat Kittens available for $60.00 plus postage. Contents are perfect condition. Contact me if interested.

Why don't you PM him and see if they're still available?

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:58 PM »
I've used my Li'l Satan as a fun flyer for several years now with a bladder fed Tee Dee .049 and one of those aluminum backplate/radial mounts. It really hauls ass but the loops are too big. Removing nose weight makes it hunt something fierce, but is that just how combat planes generally fly? I realize it's more of a "toy" combat plane. I'm flying with a 5 or 5.25x3 MA prop.

Notice where I bolted the weight, to the side mounting tabs.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
Rusty,

No, that's not how a typical combat plane handles. Yes, 1/2A combat planes will be a bit "twitchier" than a full sized combat plane, but a nicely designed TeeDee powered 1/2A combat plane will still be stable enough to fly/maneuver without looking at it as was the case when I used to fly 1/2A combat back in the 80s. Suspect the small wing area, thin airfoil, and center of gravity is what you're feeling with your Lil' Satan.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
I've used my Li'l Satan as a fun flyer for several years now with a bladder fed Tee Dee .049 and one of those aluminum backplate/radial mounts. It really hauls ass but the loops are too big. Removing nose weight makes it hunt something fierce, but is that just how combat planes generally fly? I realize it's more of a "toy" combat plane. I'm flying with a 5 or 5.25x3 MA prop.

Notice where I bolted the weight, to the side mounting tabs.

The Li'l Satan is way too small to turn tight loops.. Also, with the bellcrank supplied (less than 2") you need a narrow spacing on your handle.. I also suggest the lightest handle you can find or make to give you more feel.. I think this is important in all cases, but especially for 1/2 A.......
RW

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Hi Riley, nice to meet you, even in this distant internet sort of way. I paused to read some of your autobiography before replying.
And yes, that narrow handle spacing is something I've just recently learned since I met  a couple of our East coast combat folks, Mike londke and Ken Cook. Mike gave me a Gladiator to put together and I finally flew it with an AME .061 with too-wide lines. It was quite a flight, all I could do is keep it turning, zinging back and forth. I was finally taming it when the bladder emptied. At least I flew the fuel out, I gave myself a star for that.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Don Moore

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
I don't have a lot to add to the comparison of the Lil' Satan vs Combat Kitten.  My first plane was Lil' Satan and I loved it.  I custom painted it and didn't bother with the decal.  Don't know what happened to it.  My best friend had a Combat Kittens.  At the time I thought it was so "neat" to buy a kit with to planes in it.  I would buy a Combat Kitten kit if I could find one for a reasonable price.  I don't know why they discontinued it.  My friend loved his.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
Hi Don and welcome to the Stunthanger forums! Thanks for your input. 

I think we all had Lil' Satan's at one time or the other, and I think Ken C. hit on one of the reasons: The box art!  Sold me, it did. The box just looked cool on that wall display!

Come to think of it, though, I thought the box art for the Combat Kittens (and the Combat Cats box art) was pretty cool too... but the name "Combat Kitten" isn't nearly as awesome sounding as "Lil' Satan"... and then there's that kick-butt decal the Lil' Satan had. A kitten wearing an army helmet just didn't have quite the impact to my youthful brain.

I agree, it would be great to have Combat Kittens still being kitted, but I think the sticker shock of the price of a new kit of them would be significant.  I think when the time comes to have another Kitten, I may scratch build a facsimile using standard balsa shapes in lieu of the formed leading/trailing edges.  However, then it wouldn't be flying history, so to speak, for I have altered the design from what was kitted.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here