News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what I tried and what I liked ....  (Read 1708 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
what I tried and what I liked ....
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:03:35 AM »
I have two models almost finished. The replica 1/2A magician and a design all my own.
The design of my own has flaps and elevators and have had a little trouble completing the hinges....
I first was going to try sewn.... But after doing the magician I decided while it was functional I hated it.
So I had a set of hinge pins for half A but after trying then I desided my ability to keep them from messed up when glueing them was a total failure....
On to plan 3....
I cut hinges from the nylon material I have and glued cloth style hinges on to the wing and flaps and They look far better than my other attempts. We shall see if they are strong enough over time. my next step for the plane of my own design is to start finishing and covering it.
The magician needs to have the body and tail finished and then its time to mount the motor and electronics....
I'll try to get some new photos soon.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: what I tried and what I liked ....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
A decent weight nylon is pretty good stuff for hinges.  The lightest softest gauze would not be good, but rip-stop is pretty good stuff. 

Phil

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
A decent weight nylon is pretty good stuff for hinges.  The lightest softest gauze would not be good, but rip-stop is pretty good stuff. 

Phil

For "cloth" hinges I have been using what my wife calls nylon "taffeta".  I have had it on a few planes now for years and no sign of wear.  It is thin but can't rot and you cannot tear it, it takes a decent pair of scissors to cut it.  I put hinges from tip to tip so I don't have to seal the gaps.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
It is a white rip stop nylon. Pretty thin but defiantly strong enough for 1/2 A.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:11:27 AM by jim gilmore »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here