News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing the Cox Chipmunk back to life  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Bringing the Cox Chipmunk back to life
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
After kicking around a few years with a busted up solid foam wing, I got a wild hair and decided to bring it back 1 more time. Home Depot foam sealant, peeled the stripes back a bit, taped it down and went to town. After some sir foam, rasp, 100 grit it looks servicable. Next up - Black Widow power, TeeDee to finicky.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
Re: Bringing the Cox Chipmunk back to life
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Bringing planes back from the dead is a good thing.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies.
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
like us on facebook

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
After kicking around a few years with a busted up solid foam wing, I got a wild hair and decided to bring it back 1 more time. Home Depot foam sealant, peeled the stripes back a bit, taped it down and went to town. After some sir foam, rasp, 100 grit it looks servicable. Next up - Black Widow power, TeeDee to finicky.

I would recommend a Medallion, or a Medallion with a TD cylinder/piston if you want more power. I have had several that ran so well, if it wasn't for the Doppler shift, you couldn't tell whether it was maneuvering or not.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
  A bit of trivia about the Cox Chipmonk. There were three versions, (the same for the ME-109.) The first was a hollow sheet foam wing version that had the wings fold at the leading edge, and were taped at the trailing edge, then plugged onto a stub wing root and held on with tape. I think these were lighter, and flew better, but were pretty fragile. Extra wing sets were available with plans for a Focke-Wulf 190 plan for them also. The seciond version came out like the pone pictured. Ted Fancher did a review of the plane in his Model Aviation column. This was back in the early to mid eighties I think. Ted had some suggested modifications that included moving the leadout guide forward, and adding tip weight. That second version had a specific part number. I had one at the time and tried Ted's modifications and they worked well. Cox took the suggestions seriously and incorporated them into future production models, with a totally new part number for the model.  The model was very capable of the entire pattern, it just took a couple three tanks full of fuel to do it! Using the stock engine mount and back plate, if you added a twin bypass port cylinder of any late model Cox engine with SPI, a good reed fit, 25% nitro fuel, and the proper prop, that is all that is needed for decent performance. You would have to modify the fuselage to carry a tank big enough to do the whole pattern. Not sure what that would do to the weight and balance of the airplane. The foam Cox stunters are on my list of Cox RTF's to get into teh air this summer!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »
                 Dan, I have both versions, the wrap around foam wings and the solid. I never weighed them as I feel both are extremely heavy. What I did recognize is that the fan fold wings tend to bow during maneuvers. This tends to rob performance. I found that packing tape securely placed over the leading edge entirely does prevent this to a degree. The major problem with both is that the backplate fits incredibly poor into the fuse which just causes a crappy run. Vibrations really rob performance from the engine and I've tried to dampen this with fuel tubing. This stresses the plastic and causes it to crack . When the planes were new this wasn't an issue. The rubber band tabs fracture and your now left with no way to hold the fuse together. I've wrapped vinyl tape around the nose just behind the engine and in front of the leading edge which helps. I found that my solid wing version to fly better myself. This could also be the condition of one vs the other. Ken

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »
My front end has broken tabs and a crack or 2. I use the small Velcro straps, about 8" x 1/2" to hold it together.

I also wrapped the engine in Saran Wrap and mixed up some slow cure epoxy with micro balloon filler. Buttered up the slot for the top, pressed motor in, add a bit of Saran to keep top and bottom shells from gluing together.
Then buttered the bottom put in place, tightened Velcro and checked motor alignment.

When set, pop apart, peel motor out and clean up any OOOOZE / drips. Like bedding the barrel to the stock of a rifle.....
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here