Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Launch stooge for 1/2A?

(1/5) > >>

Dennis Toth:
I've been thinking about building a couple 1/2A's just for fun. Problem is our field would not work for take-off/landing with the small 5/8" wheels on most of those ships. Seems it would be fine for no gear. Problem is that would be hand launch and I don't always have someone around. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a simple stooge for launching gearless ships? Maybe something out of PVC pipe that would hold the ship with a pin and on release just guide it a few feet to get airborne? Some pictures would be great.

Best,    DennisT

944_Jim:
The guys on CEF use a barstool, brick and bathmat. The bathmat is used to make a sleeve by folding it in half. The fold line is where the wing leading edge sits. The brick closes the sleeve on the TE.
Once the engine is started, the pilot runs back to the handle, and the steps back away from the barstool thus pulling  the ship out of the bathmat.
ISTR RknRusty has a few YouTube videos showing it in use.

I keep rubber mats in the truck, and make a runway from a few sections so I can ground launch from a release-pin stooge.

Dennis Toth:
Jim,
I've seen the video of this and it seems to work well enough for a combat ship. I was thinking about some of the old hollow log designs that need a little more forward run before getting airborne. What I though about was something that would have a rear pin holding the ship from moving forward (like a ground tail stooge), with some guide side slide rails. The ship would be released from the tail pin and have the wing slide along the guide rods (thinking 1/2" PVC pipe) to get to flight speed. Not sure how long the guide rods should be but I'm thinking 3 ft. to start might work. Ideally, I would like to have it so one could stand up and start the engine but that might make the thing tall and wobbly so maybe first one will be 1ft. off the ground. I was also thinking a slide tube over the guide rail with a  piece of foam insulation would keep the wing from scuffing and sliding in. I guess to take-off one will need to follow it along and not pull the lines to hard so it will move out and off the rods.  What do you think?

Best,     DennisT

john vlna:
I have used some clear plastic carpet protector strips from home depot, I you are careful on take off not to pull the plane two hard of the runway it works. I'll see if I can get a link to post.

This looks like the stuff. When I bought mine you could get it by the foot in the length desired. I think what I have is a bit  heavier duty. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sweet-Home-Stores-Clear-Protector-26-in-x-12-ft-Plastic-Runner-Rug-Protector-CP2612/306837435?

Dennis Toth:
John,
I take it this is for a runway strip? I think that will work with 1/2A size wheels. I was thinking about ships without gear that would be hand launch. I think that most of the problems with gear is on landing where the wheels hit the grass and stop, flip the ship over and can cause damage. Without the gear you just glide in and slide on the belly.

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version