News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:02:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Launch stooge for 1/2A?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Launch stooge for 1/2A?
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:22:59 AM »
I've been thinking about building a couple 1/2A's just for fun. Problem is our field would not work for take-off/landing with the small 5/8" wheels on most of those ships. Seems it would be fine for no gear. Problem is that would be hand launch and I don't always have someone around. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a simple stooge for launching gearless ships? Maybe something out of PVC pipe that would hold the ship with a pin and on release just guide it a few feet to get airborne? Some pictures would be great.

Best,    DennisT

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Launch stooge for 1/2A?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
The guys on CEF use a barstool, brick and bathmat. The bathmat is used to make a sleeve by folding it in half. The fold line is where the wing leading edge sits. The brick closes the sleeve on the TE.
Once the engine is started, the pilot runs back to the handle, and the steps back away from the barstool thus pulling  the ship out of the bathmat.
ISTR RknRusty has a few YouTube videos showing it in use.

I keep rubber mats in the truck, and make a runway from a few sections so I can ground launch from a release-pin stooge.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »
Jim,
I've seen the video of this and it seems to work well enough for a combat ship. I was thinking about some of the old hollow log designs that need a little more forward run before getting airborne. What I though about was something that would have a rear pin holding the ship from moving forward (like a ground tail stooge), with some guide side slide rails. The ship would be released from the tail pin and have the wing slide along the guide rods (thinking 1/2" PVC pipe) to get to flight speed. Not sure how long the guide rods should be but I'm thinking 3 ft. to start might work. Ideally, I would like to have it so one could stand up and start the engine but that might make the thing tall and wobbly so maybe first one will be 1ft. off the ground. I was also thinking a slide tube over the guide rail with a  piece of foam insulation would keep the wing from scuffing and sliding in. I guess to take-off one will need to follow it along and not pull the lines to hard so it will move out and off the rods.  What do you think?

Best,     DennisT

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »
I have used some clear plastic carpet protector strips from home depot, I you are careful on take off not to pull the plane two hard of the runway it works. I'll see if I can get a link to post.

This looks like the stuff. When I bought mine you could get it by the foot in the length desired. I think what I have is a bit  heavier duty. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sweet-Home-Stores-Clear-Protector-26-in-x-12-ft-Plastic-Runner-Rug-Protector-CP2612/306837435?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
John,
I take it this is for a runway strip? I think that will work with 1/2A size wheels. I was thinking about ships without gear that would be hand launch. I think that most of the problems with gear is on landing where the wheels hit the grass and stop, flip the ship over and can cause damage. Without the gear you just glide in and slide on the belly.

Best,    DennisT

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:28:17 AM »
Dennis,
yes this is for wheeled ships. I saw wheel sizes and jumped to a conclusion. . I have attached a simple launch box I use for wheel-less planes. Since I fly electrics I can always use a RC throttle, and therefore did not need a release mechanism. However the idea has worked up to full size fat combats with the appropriate stakes to hold the box in  place and a release setup. As long as you have a good thrust to weight ratio your OK Just make the slots to suit your planes, stake it in the ground, pull the release cord and your off, a wheel-less stooge. The one in the picture is made from an old political sign made from Coroplast, a plastic cardboard material.
John

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
I did some sketches here is what I was thinking. Just cheap PVC plastic pipe. I think if you have a tail pin hook to hold the running ship, pull pin, keep lines tight but don't pull in, should go off. Not sure how long the guide rails should by maybe 36" ish, height off the ground say 2 feet?

John, I like the box launcher, seems good for hot combat ships but for flat wingers may need to be a little longer and flatter .

Best,   DennisT

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
Mr. Dennis,
Since this is for 1/2A wheel-less, and you hope to have it controllable in 36" horizontal, why not use a bit of gravity-assist for 48"+? Make a stool-tyoe stooge, but build it 48"-54" tall and launch pointing downhill.

Since this is for 1/2A only, how about a runway and drop-off landing gear? That may be easier in the long run...way.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »
Jim,
Maybe the old pin dolly (would be easy to find instead of the drop off gear) would do if the grass wasn't to high. For the launcher maybe could make it 4' tall if we add something like sandbag weights to the bottom. Don't know how long the guide rails need to be but for simple flat wing 1/2 A's shouldn't be to long 3' at most?

Best,    DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
I had a rig once that used an old card table. It was a wheeled 1/2A.  Time it cleared the table it dropped a little but was airborne before it hit the ground.  I could see a rolling drop off dolly for a no wheel model.  Table was heavy enough that no weight or tiedown was needed to hold it in place.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
Put wheels on the plane.  Get some cardboard and make a portable runway about 4 feet wide and ten or twelve feet long.  Big boxes cut into big flat sheets, just laid out so that the overlaps don't trip the plane (i.e., put the left-most sheet down first, then work back to the launch point).

Then use a normal stooge.  The plane will flip on landing (unless you hit the runway) but who cares?

If you want to get fancy, cut tapered sections of cardboard and tape them together so the thing folds up like an accordion.  Then you can just pull it out of your trunk, lay it out, and fly.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »
Or put an hook on the plane and string some arrester strings on the runway, and you'll have 1/2-A carrier.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
>asiest is find vacant parking lot to use with permission.  Use regular stooge. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
If you want to get fancy, cut tapered sections of cardboard and tape them together so the thing folds up like an accordion.  Then you can just pull it out of your trunk, lay it out, and fly.

Here in Oregon, the law says that all campaign signs must be removed by seven days after election day, and the campaign can be fined for each day they are left out after.  A few years ago I waited until day eight, and then went along the road and collected a bunch of the smaller signs that were still out, just to "help" the campaigns avoid any fines.  I then taped them accordion style like Tim says, and made a portable runway about 15' long with a quick release at one end.  I keep it in a plastic bag for ready use if I run to the field by my lonesome.

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
Here in Oregon, the law says that all campaign signs must be removed by seven days after election day, and the campaign can be fined for each day they are left out after.  A few years ago I waited until day eight, and then went along the road and collected a bunch of the smaller signs that were still out, just to "help" the campaigns avoid any fines.  I then taped them accordion style like Tim says, and made a portable runway about 10' long with a quick release at one end.  I keep it in a plastic bag for ready use if I run to the field by my lonesome.

This is it in use for my TD-4 replica:

Mark

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »
   Where can I see photos and/or read about the TD-4 replica?
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 01:59:44 PM »
Here's the build thread I did on it years ago:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6595-giving-new-life-to-a-classic

Mark

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 05:18:18 PM »
I did some sketches here is what I was thinking. Just cheap PVC plastic pipe. I think if you have a tail pin hook to hold the running ship, pull pin, keep lines tight but don't pull in, should go off. Not sure how long the guide rails should by maybe 36" ish, height off the ground say 2 feet?

John, I like the box launcher, seems good for hot combat ships but for flat wingers may need to be a little longer and flatter .

Best,   DennisT
I did one similar when I was a kid.  Add a keeper over the wing from the rear and use it for combat ships.  Worked great.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
That gentleman is having way too much fun.  I still remember the first loops I did with a Scientific American Boy powered with my trusty OK Cub 049A.  Used a discarded kitchen table with a stooge in the back yard.  Dad was recovering from back surgery and watching from the bed room. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
...with my trusty OK Cub 049A.....   table with a stooge in the back yard.  Dad was recovering from back surgery and watching from the bed room. D>K
You got an OK Cub to run?  I am impressed.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
You got an OK Cub to run?  I am impressed.

Ken

This was was back in mid 1950's.  Used Testors fuel. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »
This was was back in mid 1950's.  Used Testors fuel. D>K
The two I gave up on were in 57 & 58.  Cox fuel.  Maybe that was the problem!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here